Caribou Gear

A first elk hunt

I decided to rent a vehicle from Titus Adventure Company out of Denver, specifically their Tacoma. The standard hertz rental did fine for my 2017 antelope hunt but I am guessing that the roads where I'm hunting could be worse so I wanted to rent a vehicle that I wouldnt have any coverage issues going off paved surfaces. It comes with a bunch of stuff I probably won't use (rooftop tent, kitchen gear, camping gear, etc.) but otherwise should do the job. So if anyone happens to see a white and orange tacoma in Wyoming mid October with a big ol' rooftop tent, I'm probably not too far away walking around scratching my head wondering what the heck i'm doing.

Outside of hunting, it looks like a good setup. If all goes well, might give it a try for a non-hunting trip with my wife and not have to worry about traveling with all that stuff.
Curious to hear how that works out. I have looked at some of those 'all inclusive' rigs in the past as well. They're not cheap - at least the ones I was looking at are as much as a good hotel room per night - but with everything included, it makes "get off the plane -> go hunt" much closer to reality.

I travel quite a bit for work, so have 'status' with National and Enterprise. I've tried to fenangle something useful out of them, but even if they have something offroadish in stock (I have lucked up and gotten a fully-loaded 4Runner TRD before on a business trip), they can't guarantee it will be there when I get there. Complete luck of the draw.

Curious to hear how that works out. I have looked at some of those 'all inclusive' rigs in the past as well. They're not cheap - at least the ones I was looking at are as much as a good hotel room per night - but with everything included, it makes "get off the plane -> go hunt" much closer to reality.

I travel quite a bit for work, so have 'status' with National and Enterprise. I've tried to fenangle something useful out of them, but even if they have something offroadish in stock (I have lucked up and gotten a fully-loaded 4Runner TRD before on a business trip), they can't guarantee it will be there when I get there. Complete luck of the draw.
From what I was able to find perusing the internet and a couple national rental places fine print, if something happens to it off of paved surfaces, it voids the no-liability insurance and I didnt want to deal with that. Many forums also discuss the inadequacy of their tires for unpaved surfaces as well.

Aside from the gear I've accumulated over the years, this rental was by far the most expensive part of the trip. Renting it from Oct.14-21, it cost just over $1,850 (including taxes, fees and sign-up and BYO discounts). I spoke with someone who works there and told them my plans and they had no issues.

I’ve killed a lot of nice animals with a model 70 Winchester 30x06 with a 4 power weaver scope, blue jeans and flannel. I’m all about having nice gear, but to me I’m all about staying warm and being comfortable. I just don’t think thousands of dollars need to be spent. Nothing against people that do. That’s just not in my bankroll. Biggest thing is make sure you have the equipment to stay safe and warm so you come back home after every trip. And enjoy yourself , because why the heck not. ?!?

Good boots are a must. Most people I know use 10x42 binoculars. I would upgrade your scope, Leupold is hard to beat. Buy some quality ammo. I saw several boxes of Barnes 165gr TTSX on the shelf at my local store today. Get multiple boxes of the same stuff. Then you can sight in with it and have a full box to bring out hunting. I use a Buck Mini Alpha Hunter knife for most of my stuff and I'm never without my Leatherman.

I am working on planning my first elk just as well with my 21 year old sons. Accumulating a lot of gear over the last few years we don’t need hunting white tails in Alabama. Love all the advice from the pros on the site for us greenhorns.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back