Caribou Gear

A few walleye

BuzzH

Went ice fishing last weekend with a couple buddies.

Had a pretty good day on walleyes from 15-20 inches, ended up with a total of 16 (only 11 in the picture, caught the rest after my camera battery croaked). Caught 18 catfish between 4-12 pounds too. Dont have pics of the cats downloaded yet, but heres the walleye and a bonus crappie.

1-12-08%20006.JPG

1-12-08%20003.JPG

Nice day on the ice! Sounds like some lunker cats too @ 12lbs.!

I'm starting to hate your ice fishing pics. They make me feel lazy, as well as jealous of the quality eats your taking home.

Damn it Buzz, if you keep posting pictures of these walleyes and perch, my wife's gonna sell the house, pack the bags, and be moving to WY.

Where's my auger?

Nice catch.

Nice Catch! Being from the south I have always wondered about Ice fishing...right now Buzz I'm wondering about that big Crack in the Ice I see in those pictures!!!! John

"...that big Crack in the Ice" (DStud)

John, that's where Buzz parted the waters.;)

So whens the HT fish fry?

eye's are my favorite fish. Rockfish/stripers are right in the running though.

Don't know if you are aware of it but they do make rods a tad bit shorter just for ice fishing. ;)

Good looking catch and I am way envious.

Bwana,

That one is only about 4 feet and I dont fish in an ice house ever. Plus, you ever try hauling a 12 pound catfish out of 60 feet of water with the typical short ice fishing rod? I caught a catfish the other day that was 31 inches and over 12 pounds.

The fish in that lake are really aggressive and you have to rip a spoon or jigging rapala 3-4 feet sometimes to get enough action on the lure, tough to do with a 2 foot rod. Also, I fish with nils masters that weigh nearly an ounce and the biggest jigging rapalas I can find. Again, you need a little more spine than is found in those little crappie rods.

I do own a few of those short ice fishing rods but rarely use them...I catch too many big fish to use them much...;)

Just giving you a hard time Buzz. I can see where those silly noodle rods might make it a bit tough when it comes to anything more then a 1/2 lb perch. Even up here where we only have little fish ;) I can't see why someone would want to use one of those silly things.

That being said, I have an older jigging pole that was my Grandpa's that is about 2 feet long and fairly stout that might do the trick for jigging although I can see where those big cats might make it interesting.

Around here where MOST of the bigger fish caught are northerns guys tend to use dacron line on an ice stick or tip-up and then just bring them in by hand but at 60 feet deep a person could end up with quite a tangled mess if they weren't careful bringing up the line.

Looking forward to seeing the kitty pics.

Bwana,

I'll post pics of the cats sometime this weekend.

Pointer,

If you draw again for lopes...I have plenty of fish for another round of fish frying.

If your Pops comes with you again...I may have to go catch a few more walleye though.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back