Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

A Family’s First Western Exposure

when my parents moved from Texas to Alaska years ago, I was not 100% happy about it, but now I can not imagine leaving Alaska.

Also, being female, I am a bit surprised about the women crying thing mentioned on a different thread, but also mentioned on one of your posts here. I never saw that in Texas or here. Although I grew up on a farm and animals die, accidentally and on purpose ( raised for the purpose of butchering) so maybe farm girls or girls that are exposed to hunting early in life might feel differently that girls raised in the city.

Enjoy your trip and best of luck on your hunt. My dad would love to have that John Deere

when my parents moved from Texas to Alaska years ago, I was not 100% happy about it, but now I can not imagine leaving Alaska.

Also, being female, I am a bit surprised about the women crying thing mentioned on a different thread, but also mentioned on one of your posts here. I never saw that in Texas or here. Although I grew up on a farm and animals die, accidentally and on purpose ( raised for the purpose of butchering) so maybe farm girls or girls that are exposed to hunting early in life might feel differently that girls raised in the city.

Enjoy your trip and best of luck on your hunt. My dad would love to have that John Deere

She was a Army Brat and traveled the world. She knew only stereotypes of hunting until she met me. Over the last 10 years she fell in love with harvest to table lifestyle. I’ve always provided so she didn’t need to hunt. Last few years there has been some interest in my western trips. The kids and her are crazy over the meat. Our consumption is more than a elk and antelope. I told her if she wanted to go west she would have to have a tag too. So two years ago she took hunter safety and we started planning this.

She has never seen the life fade away of a animal. Knowing she was responsible for is a lot of emotions. If sadness causes some tears it’s ok and probably to be expected with her upbringing.

We grew up in the Mid-West and moved to Idaho when my wife got a job out here. We stayed for about 3 years and moved back when I got a job back there. I got laid off and she got another job out here. We’ve been back since 2001 and don’t plan on leaving any time soon. In the immortal words of Jim Morrison...”The West is Best!”.

She has never seen the life fade away of a animal. Knowing she was responsible for is a lot of emotions. If sadness causes some tears it’s ok and probably to be expected with her upbringing.

Happiness causes tears too. The last whitetail I shot I bawled my eyes out. It was a buck that everyone knew about and everyone knew I was hunting. I lost a lot of sleep over it before finally connecting with it. It fell approximately 50 yards from the spot I shot my first pheasant while hunting with my Dad long years before. We shared a lot of really cool hunts in that same place over the years. He passed on when I was 27 so being able to be successful on a hunt, thinking about him, and sealing the deal on a nice whitetail in a place that was already special in my heart brought on the waterworks. I make no apologizes....one of the best experiences hunting I’ve ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back