Caribou Gear

A cooperative MT mule deer

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Just in from the hills. Pulled our camp tonight and packed everything out in one load. My hips and knees will be protesting loudly, come morning.

Normally, you get the long ramble about every minute piece of what happened. Right now I am too tired to write more than a paragraph or two, so you just get some pics. At least until Saturday, after I spend a couple days wrapping up some filming details and de-junking my entire shop in preparation for a long trip to CO and WY, starting on Monday.

A nice Montana buck that was migrating out of the snow-packed wilderness area. Got him off the mountain about midnight last night. Some might argue whether he was worth the effort it took to retrieve him. Brad, the camera guy, would have the best argument, given he carried the boned out hinds, in addition to his camera gear. It was one of those ugly seven year-old burns that is now a huge blow down of match sticks, covered with snow and ice. If you have done that task before and bushwacked down the cliffs via headlamp, no words I can provide will suffice to describe.

We were after elk and I had passed four bulls earlier in the hunt. When this guy showed up a mile and a half away, I was intrigued enough to try get there before the end of filming light.
IMG_1791.JPG

23" outside spread is not going to get this crowd too excited, but I was excited. Too excited to cut the tongue off, which is usually my first order of business.
IMG_1784.JPG

Brad reviewed the footage this morning. He said the chaos of the moment will come through very well. The chaos level was remarkably high, even for the normal fire drill producing this show entails. How the kill shot got made and how it even got captured on video is still a question bouncing around in my head. But, however much luck was entailed, I will take it.
IMG_1807.JPG

Full details to follow, before I leave town on Monday......promise.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back