A bit of a an crappy day in a horrible year......

SFC B

So, I tried not to think about it today. I went to work, made an elk roast for dinner and then it hit me. Today CPO and I should be arriving in Sullivan, IL and getting settled into the cabin in anticipation of the whitetail gun opener tomorrow. We were both drawn for the hunt and were very excited at the prospects. Like so many things this year, straight in the toilet :( I have plenty to be thankful for, don't get me wrong but I am SERIOUSLY hoping the new year brings a full reboot.

I feel ya! We were supposed to have our annual elk hunt in GMU 18.. which no longer exists due to our massive fires in Colorado... I’m hoping next year everything will go back to normal

I feel ya! We were supposed to have our annual elk hunt in GMU 18.. which no longer exists due to our massive fires in Colorado... I’m hoping next year everything will go back to normal
Sorry to hear that. Most of my deer area got torched by cameron peak fire so I can understand the frustration.

Same boat. October 15th came and went and I wasn’t out after mule deer for the first time in 5 years.

2020 is one for the history books for our family and it ain’t over yet sadly.

God has a bigger plan and I have to believe it.

Yah, things are tough all over. Lets see, I started this year on androgen deprivation therapy as part of the treatment for prostate cancer. Then as I was about recovered from that this whole Covid thing hit and I have to put up with all that comes with that. Then all my favorite fishing holes turned into mud puddles because of this persistent drought. My right knee started bothering me in the spring and by early July I could no longer walk on it. Several doctors visits and three and a half month of physical therapy and it is now tolerable, not great but tolerable. Then also in July the retina in my right eye tore in two places. That was fun. Still not fully recovered from that. As summer was ending I was looking forward to some nice elk hunting trips during archer season, even with a bum knee, but then my house burned down. All my camping gear, all my fishing gear, almost all my hunting gear along with one of our cars, our house and pretty much everything else we owned gone in one night along with two of our cats. My youngest daughter lost everything in the same fire and my sister lost her storage shed filled with a lot of family heirlooms and history. Now my wife and I and my daughter and her family are all living with my second oldest daughter and her family. That is no picnic believe me. Spending most of my time now dealing with insurance companies, mortgage companies and building contractors. Things could be worse though, Can't wait to see what 2021 has to throw at me.

TOP THAT SUCKERS! ;)

Xss
Yah, things are tough all over. Lets see, I started this year on androgen deprivation therapy as part of the treatment for prostate cancer. Then as I was about recovered from that this whole Covid thing hit and I have to put up with all that comes with that. Then all my favorite fishing holes turned into mud puddles because of this persistent drought. My right knee started bothering me in the spring and by early July I could no longer walk on it. Several doctors visits and three and a half month of physical therapy and it is now tolerable, not great but tolerable. Then also in July the retina in my right eye tore in two places. That was fun. Still not fully recovered from that. As summer was ending I was looking forward to some nice elk hunting trips during archer season, even with a bum knee, but then my house burned down. All my camping gear, all my fishing gear, almost all my hunting gear along with one of our cars, our house and pretty much everything else we owned gone in one night along with two of our cats. My youngest daughter lost everything in the same fire and my sister lost her storage shed filled with a lot of family heirlooms and history. Now my wife and I and my daughter and her family are all living with my second oldest daughter and her family. That is no picnic believe me. Spending most of my time now dealing with insurance companies, mortgage companies and building contractors. Things could be worse though, Can't wait to see what 2021 has to throw at me.

TOP THAT SUCKERS! ;)
Sometimes life hands us a shit sandwich but you got served quite the banquet. On the bright side, things will get better ... because they can't get worse.

Reactions: AC5

TOP THAT SUCKERS! ;)

I Pray you have some seriously good times coming in the new year.

Things can ALWAYS get worse...easy to say yet hard to do - concentrate on the positives...ain't no sense in lookin down, ain't no happiness on the ground

It' all good. As I told another member in a PM, at this point it's more of a comedy than it is a tragedy. Two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer ( All tests have come back good in the last year. See, not all is bad) That diagnosis hit me pretty hard but my doctor said something that really helped, both then and now. He said "Hey, this is just another thing in life you have to deal with." No matter what the Great Spirit decides to throw at you, that's what it all boils down to. just another thing in life you have to deal with.

What's the old saying" what doesn't kill you , just makes you tougher". At this point you are one tough SOB. Your suffer index should get you some nice trophies.

I remember my freshman year in college. At xmas, I was at home and was laying on the couch before going goose hunting. My mother stopped by the couch on the way to the kitchen and mentioned casually that my fraternity house was on fire. Try that for an xmas day wake-up.

The good news? You will get to try the new year with new stuff if you don't shoot the insurance guy. Good luck!

TOP THAT SUCKERS! ;)
I sure as hell can’t top that and with all due respect hopefully I never can! So sorry for such a horrible year but respect your positive outlook! Hope next year is the greatest year of your life!!

Grouch, if you have the room buy a one trip shipping container and store the heirlooms and such in it. Lockable, waterproof, fireproof storage. Yeah they don't look pretty but they are tough.

Grouch, if you have the room buy a one trip shipping container and store the heirlooms and such in it. Lockable, waterproof, fireproof storage. Yeah they don't look pretty but they are tough.
We thought the shipping containers were fireproof also. Not always. We lost a cabin to a wildfire last year and relatives had a shipping container on their property burn everything inside when the wooden floor caught fire.

@Wapiti_ Did you have 1st or 2nd season tags for GMU 18? Most of the fire had died out by 3rd season. I’ve got a buddy hunting 4th season in there now

NECALI, that is true with the wooden floors. Ours are set on gravel/shale. Also up on railroad ties. Can see them going up easy especially with heavy pine needles around.

Today was supposed to be the first day of my OR elk hunt with my dad. Due to C-19 concerns (as well as a snafu with film permits) we decided it was best to be safe this year.

I'm geared up for my first Oregon duck hunt though. I'm still taking the next week off work so I'm planning to go a few times.

Stay safe everyone!

Gouch I do hope things turn around for you and your family and 2021 bring many blessings
this yr has been tough on so many im fighting through with covid hitting my business hard. had great plans for the yr all fell through this yr due to a health issue and lost every place I had to hunt on, couldnt take time off but still looking on the bright side and counting blessings
Going to do everything possible to get back to Idaho in 2021 and just take some R N R here at home

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back