Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

7mm Rem Mag for Pronghorn?

RugerHawg413

As some of you know I tried for a elk tag in NM but, did not get one. So, I am applying for a pronghorn tag in WY, and I was going to use a 7mm rem mag for elk. Is that caliber still a good one for pronghorn? Thanks for all the info and knowledge!

Reactions: Guy
It will work just fine. If you are loaded for elk, that bullet will do great on pronghorn. There is no reason to change. Try to make a lung shot, if possible, but that goes for any cartridge/bullet. There is not much meat on a pronghorn, so try to shoot for the lungs to salvage what you can.

As some of you know I tried for a elk tag in NM but, did not get one. So, I am applying for a pronghorn tag in WY, and I was going to use a 7mm rem mag for elk. Is that caliber still a good one for pronghorn? Thanks for all the info and knowledge!
For many years my hunting budget kept me with one rifle, 7mm Rem mag 160 gr bullet, with which I took many pronghorn antelope, as well as deer and elk. For many years there were multiple doe/fawn antelope tags available, so the 7mm brought home two or three antelope per year. As mentioned, shot placement is important. Even after serious planning and calculation of lead distance for running antelope, it was quickly discovered that shooting at running pronghorns was folly.

7mm rem mag will more than kill any lope, 4 times over; would think there are loads/bullet combos that wont tear one in half? just kidding. you'll do fine. I have use a 30.06 w/ 150 grain bullets in all my lopes and they don't go far (all about bullet placement). I am switching to a 6.5 cred this year, looking forward trying out something different. best luck!

Don't over think it! If it was going to kill an elk, it will kill a goat!

Got anything smaller? .25-06 might be the best antelope gun ever made.

I’ve killed one with your same gun / bullet combo and swore Ide never do it again.

Back