Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

7mm-08

Stellar Bull! How far was your shot? I've got a 7mm-08 but haven't brought it elk hunting yet. I'm thinking I will next fall. Everyone I talk to says to simply limit how far you shoot. I have a self imposed limit of 400 if everything lines up. I'll probably go with 140 grain Nosler E-tip.
Thank you! This was a real long distance kill... 40 yards :)

I snuck up on him and shot him as was faced away. Bullet went in through rear liver and angled forward through lungs - it was recovered under the offside scapula. That's around 32" of penetration. He ran maybe 20 yards and piled up. By the time I got to him in a couple minutes he was dead.

Personally, I'd not use a mono like the e-tip in the 7-08 unless it's a state requirement, or if lead-free is a health choice. In general, the 7-08 is quite easy on bullets given its velocity window. Bullets that shrapnel are going to give quicker kills. If I were going to use a mono, I think I'd be inclined to use the easier opening Barnes LRX.

Would you guys use a 140 Berger for elk? I have those and some 150 ELDX as well as 140 grain Nosler Partitions. Thanks for the replies.

Would you guys use a 140 Berger for elk? I have those and some 150 ELDX as well as 140 grain Nosler Partitions. Thanks for the replies.
Depend on what your objective is. 2 of those bullets are pretty violent expansion and the partition is a more of a mushroom and exit bullet.

I would use either a 120 grain nosler ballistic tip or a 140 nosler accubond.

If I had to slum the bullets you listed, partition every time.

I have a 7mm-08 and love it. It has a short barrel, and even cheap ppu 140gr soft points expand well and penetrate deeply. I shot a 200ish pound whitetail buck a few years ago, shot was at 200 yards broadside. Bullet entered, broke a rib, and exited with a 3 inch exit hole, breaking 3 more ribs. Buck ran 20 yards and died. Great cartridge and very mild to shoot.

The one I want is a white gold medallion, pretty nice wood.

I have an X Bolt White Gold Medallion in .30-06...beautiful rifle! IMO, the best looking rifles currently being made...had to have one! Also have an X Bolt Maple Medallion in 6.5 Manbun. I put Mcarbo trigger springs in both rifles and they are both right at 2#. They are both topped with Leupold Firedot scopes, and shoot amazing. I have no experience with the 7mm08, but everything that I have heard is positive. The 7mm08 and .270 are 2 that I have not owned, but would like to.

Last edited:
Picked up my first 7mm 08 this past summer. Although I have had it's bigger brother, a 280 Rem since I was 14. Sorry I waited so long! Sweet shooting round. Did not take me long to find an excellent shooting load with a 139 Hornady Interbond. Goes over the screens @ a touch over 2800 fps. Very effective on the 3 deer I shot this fall. I'm a fan.

I’ve used 7MM-08 exclusively since 03 in VT for deer / bear / varmints love the cartridge have friends that have shot moose with the 7MM HT in Vermont & Maine. Sounds like it works great on elk hopefully someday I’ll get to try that out

I had a 7mm-08. No complaints with the round but I sold it and bought the exact same rifle in 308 solely because it was so hard to find a variety of ammunition for it in store.

I had a 7mm-08. No complaints with the round but I sold it and bought the exact same rifle in 308 solely because it was so hard to find a variety of ammunition for it in store.
A lot of people have said that but I’ve never had a problem finding it in LGS heck local Walmart carried Winchester 140 gr PP up until the last couple years when they switched over to carrying 6.5 manbun instead

I roll my own for all the calibers I own, including 7mm 08. But I do see where it can be an issue for people that do not reload.

Lots of 7mm-08 ammo on GB. Found it there even during the pandemic.
Right, yes I agree you can find basically anything online. I like being able to walk into a store, pick it up, look at it and have several different choices on bullet weight, brand etc. 308 is in stock anywhere that sells ammo in South Alabama and typically a wide variety. 7mm-08 is in stock 1 out of every 4 stores and its usually Remington corlokt.

A lot of people have said that but I’ve never had a problem finding it in LGS heck local Walmart carried Winchester 140 gr PP up until the last couple years when they switched over to carrying 6.5 manbun instead
7mm-08 has just never been as popular around here as anything .30 caliber. And I feel you with the 6.5 business. It irritates me when I hear guys talk about how "revolutionary" the creedmore is when 6.5x55 swedish has been around since something like 1891.

I have a Browning X-bolt in 7mm-08 and the wife has a Browning AB3 in 7mm-08. Both shoot fantastic groups once we found the right ammo for them, but they were both real picky. Her AB3 loves the 120gr Barnes VOR-TX, but hated every 140gr round we tried through it. My X-bolt shoots the 120gr VOR-TX very well, but I wanted 140gr bullets. So far the only 2 that shoot worth a damn are 140gr Winchester Ballitic Silvertips (can't find easily anymore) and Federal Premium 140gr loaded w Nosler Ballistic tips. I came across and bought 4-5 boxes of Nosler ammo loaded with 140gr Ballistic tips but that ammo is 1.5" groups at 100 yds at best out of my gun.

7mm-08 has just never been as popular around here as anything .30 caliber. And I feel you with the 6.5 business. It irritates me when I hear guys talk about how "revolutionary" the creedmore is when 6.5x55 swedish has been around since something like 1891.
I too tire of all the B/S surrounding the manbun, but it does allow the longer bullets to be used in a short action rifle unlike the Swede. Only real advantage I see other than the SAMMI specs for chambering are pretty tight which does help accuracy overall.

I’ve had good luck with the hornady Gmx on everything I’ve shot with it bang flip maybe a kick if I do my part & hit scapula & on occasion I’ve double lunged a couple whitetail with the Gmx & could watch blood pour out & they dropped within sight or just out of / heard crash etc I don’t understand why they dropped in favor of the new CX and I’m hoping it performs the same..typically don’t shoot far here always under 125…supposedly they are to perform better at extended distances, I’m hoping same performance at in the woods distance as Gmx

I’ve had good luck with the hornady Gmx on everything I’ve shot with it bang flip maybe a kick if I do my part & hit scapula & on occasion I’ve double lunged a couple whitetail with the Gmx & could watch blood pour out & they dropped within sight or just out of / heard crash etc I don’t understand why they dropped in favor of the new CX and I’m hoping it performs the same..typically don’t shoot far here always under 125…supposedly they are to perform better at extended distances, I’m hoping same performance at in the woods distance as Gmx
That is good to know. I shot 3 deer this past season with the 139 HORN Inter-BOND and was VERY pleased with the terminal performance from them. Shame they no longer make them but I did find a couple more boxes so should be set for a while.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back