Caribou Gear

7mm-08

Yep, .270 here as well. So is my X-Bolt- the only two big game rifles I own.

One for hunting, one for backup, and that’s all I need.

Why do you think that option would be better than an X-Bolt? I’m not trying to be argumentative, just trying to see if I may be missing something (an admitted X-Bolt fan).

To add- don’t mind the “plastic” magazine at all, in fact I prefer it.

I agree on the magazine. I see no benefit to having a metal magazine and the xbolt does something many fail at - actually fits flush to the stock. My sample of 1 has always fed like butter.

Feeds like butter, fits flush, fits mag well securely, doesn't rattle around, it's a pro much more than a con to me. I'm a tikka fan but i much prefer carrying my xbolt stainless stalker in hand than my tikkas because of the the flush mag.

Also surprised to hear mention of an xbolt action being gritty. The one's i've used are hot on tikka/sako's tails for smoothest factory action. Maybe some of the cerekoted ones are less smooth or something?

Bought my wife a Xbolt 7mm08 last year it is the micro hunter and you can upgrade to a full size stock for it anytime. It is a tac driver. She has killed 4 deer with it. Even with the short stock I shoot it just fine. It is a light handy rifle. Got a Leupold VX3 CDS from Schmalts and Talley one piece rings/mounts. If she would let me I would take it hunting. I have an Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed in .308 and it is my go to rifle.

I agree on the magazine. I see no benefit to having a metal magazine and the xbolt does something many fail at - actually fits flush to the stock. My sample of 1 has always fed like butter.

Feeds like butter, fits flush, fits mag well securely, doesn't rattle around, it's a pro much more than a con to me. I'm a tikka fan but i much prefer carrying my xbolt stainless stalker in hand than my tikkas because of the the flush mag.

Also surprised to hear mention of an xbolt action being gritty. The one's i've used are hot on tikka/sako's tails for smoothest factory action. Maybe some of the cerekoted ones are less smooth or something?
I’ve got an Xbolt HC long range in .300 WSM with a Schmalts Leupold VX5. Love it! No magazine issues for me and smooth as butter bolt.

IMG_0261.jpeg

I have a left hand micro midas in 7mm-08 NIB that I don’t need. Not sure if you need a lefty or not, but let me know if you are interested.

Nah, if he gets a rifle that isn't backwards he'll be all confusilated

7-08/150 Nosler Ballistic Tip. Quickest one shot elk kill I've ever had. Blood at the top is where the elk impaled himself with his own 6th point in the "fits of death."

Stellar Bull! How far was your shot? I've got a 7mm-08 but haven't brought it elk hunting yet. I'm thinking I will next fall. Everyone I talk to says to simply limit how far you shoot. I have a self imposed limit of 400 if everything lines up. I'll probably go with 140 grain Nosler E-tip.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back