Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

7mm-08

I handloaded 140 grain Accubonds for years in both a 7x57 and more recently a 7mm-08 - for elk and deer. Excellent bullet and had good success with it. After deciding to move to copper, I selected the 131 grain Hammer Hunter for the 7mm-08. It was relatively easy to gain great groups with assistance from the Hammer staff....and Varget.
It would be sweet if some company decided to make a factory 130 grain load for the 7mm-08. I may be splitting hairs, but it seems like the sweet spot for that cartridge.

If I went out and got a 7mm-08 there's two bullet's I concentrate on. 150gr and 160gr. Then would probably settle on the one that shot best. On the other hand if I got another 280 I's go 160gr. I feel that hunter's rely to much on bullet's actually to light for the cartridge they use. Well that's with cup and core bullet's. If I was to drop to a 130gr or 140gr in a 7mm-08 I'd probably find some sorry excuse for spending the money on monolithic bullet's. Thinking it would be hard to make a mess inside anything with them!

If you're partial to lead bullets, I'd look at Swift Scirocco's, or Federal Trophy Bonded Tips. If you're open to all-copper, check out the 139 LRX from Barnes, or the 140 E-Tip from Nosler. Or, Hammer has some cool 7mm bullets.
I second the Hammer bullets!!

The sweet spot for the 7mm-08 is actually the 140gr if using cup & core bullets, monos the 120gr.

Barnes and Rem Corelokts would be my last choice of bullet!
Seen too many of each not put game down.

Hornady SST & Interbond, Sierra GameKing & Pro Hunter, Nosler Ballistic Tip & Accubond, Berger VLD all make fine choices for cup & core bullets.

Mono it would be either Hammer, or Cutting Edge.

The sweet spot for the 7mm-08 is actually the 140gr if using cup & core bullets, monos the 120gr.

Hornady SST & Interbond, Sierra GameKing & Pro Hunter, Nosler Ballistic Tip & Accubond, Berger VLD all make fine choices for cup & core bullets.

I don't think I've ever seen a bullet fail to put down an animal. What I have seen is poor shots fail to put down an animal. Either poorly placed for the bullet used or simply poorly placed regardless of the bullet. Something you can't escape is a bullet, any bullet that destroys something critical, kills the animal! Quite simple really. The old story , I made a really good shot but the animal ran off just don't hold water for me.

140gn ABs shoot very well in my 7-08, but 139gn Hornady Interbonds are gooder. I've always been impressed with Accubonds until I try Interbonds in the same rifle. I always seem to be able to push them faster without accuracy dropping off. The problem is finding either of them these days.

I don't think I've ever seen a bullet fail to put down an animal. What I have seen is poor shots fail to put down an animal. Either poorly placed for the bullet used or simply poorly placed regardless of the bullet. Something you can't escape is a bullet, any bullet that destroys something critical, kills the animal! Quite simple really. The old story , I made a really good shot but the animal ran off just don't hold water for me.
2 different friends, 2 different deer, both 150gr Rem Corelokts.
The one friend, I watched put 5 shots into a does chest from 30 feet at the furthest distance. Kept getting up. Savage 99 in 300 Savage.
And this is after we had found her already gut shot.
My 280 Rem to the head finally put her down.

Neighbor.
30-06 with 150gr Corelokts.
Shot buck (about 50 yards according to him). Buck went down & got back up.
when he showed me the buck, there were 5 bullet holes in each side, going through the ribs.

Friend with 30-06 using Barnes. (I don't know which, or what grain.)
I watched the doe coming in. They were passing him, coming towards me.
I saw the shot hit behind the shoulder.
Her butt touched her nose, and she took off.
Not recovered. Tracked for over 500 yards.

Same friend.
Another doe. I watched a good hit behind the shoulder. Again, took off.
Luckily the snow let us track her.
she made it about 1,500 yards.

Uncle I set up to shoot his first deer of the year. Doe came in. (about 30 yards)
He was using 30-06 with Barnes.
I watched the hit again.
Again, another doe running off.
No recovery.

2 different friends, 2 different deer, both 150gr Rem Corelokts.
The one friend, I watched put 5 shots into a does chest from 30 feet at the furthest distance. Kept getting up. Savage 99 in 300 Savage.
And this is after we had found her already gut shot.
My 280 Rem to the head finally put her down.

Neighbor.
30-06 with 150gr Corelokts.
Shot buck (about 50 yards according to him). Buck went down & got back up.
when he showed me the buck, there were 5 bullet holes in each side, going through the ribs.

Friend with 30-06 using Barnes. (I don't know which, or what grain.)
I watched the doe coming in. They were passing him, coming towards me.
I saw the shot hit behind the shoulder.
Her butt touched her nose, and she took off.
Not recovered. Tracked for over 500 yards.

Same friend.
Another doe. I watched a good hit behind the shoulder. Again, took off.
Luckily the snow let us track her.
she made it about 1,500 yards.

Uncle I set up to shoot his first deer of the year. Doe came in. (about 30 yards)
He was using 30-06 with Barnes.
I watched the hit again.
Again, another doe running off.
No recovery.
Amazing!

140gn ABs shoot very well in my 7-08, but 139gn Hornady Interbonds are gooder. I've always been impressed with Accubonds until I try Interbonds in the same rifle. I always seem to be able to push them faster without accuracy dropping off. The problem is finding either of them these days.
I've shot a LOT of SST & Interbonds. Try as I might, I could never get the regular Accubond to group worth a tinkers darn out of my rifles.
BUT....

The Nosler Ballistic Tips consistently grouped smaller than the Hornady's.

Varget has been the cat's meow for us. We run 3 different 7mm-08 rifles. All three of them are sub MOA shooters with 140 ballistic tips/accubonds, loaded on top of Varget. Been very effective on game including mule deer, elk and antelope. Adults and youth hunters in our household with them. Big fan!

I've shot a LOT of SST & Interbonds. Try as I might, I could never get the regular Accubond to group worth a tinkers darn out of my rifles.
BUT....

The Nosler Ballistic Tips consistently grouped smaller than the Hornady's.
I wish I could get the accubonds to shoot better out of my 7-08...5 shots, 100 yards:

Never did shoot this load again...stuck with Varget as I have 10lbs of it.

1228141902a.jpg

Your 7mm-08 will do just fine with a well constructed bullet. An accubond, partition or Barnes will do fine. I'd look very hard at a 140 grain Nosler Accubond and see how your rifle shoots them.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with regard to the mono sweet spot. I think 120, while it gets the velocity up, just ends up giving you similar ballistics to heavier bullets, while shooting a lighter bullet. If you're shooting inside of 300 yards, anything from 120-140 grains is going to open the bullet up and give you good performance. So (and especially if elk are on the menu), why not go with a little heavier bullet? And it you stretch it out to 400, the 140's actually start performing better, due to higher BC. I think if there's a sweet spot for the monos, it's somewhere between 130-140.

My current load uses a 140 grain E-tip over Big Game at about 2800fps. That keeps me up above 2200fps and 1500 foot pounds out to 400 yards +.

There is a lot of talk about Hornady Interbond bullets in this thread, however, I am wondering if people are actually referring to Hornady Interlock bullets. I am aware both bullet varieties are (or were in the case of 139 gr. Interbond bullets), made by Hornady.

I did not think Interbond bullets were considered "cap and core" bullets.

ClearCreek
Not sure I understand. I referenced using Interbonds, as in Hornady's bonded bullets.

I have been trying to get ahold of some more 140 grain, Federal/Meateater Trophy Copper for over a year. It appears they are now discontinued per the Federal website. I will need to look at comparable rounds going forward.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back