7mm-08 ttsx 150gr

Red_7.08

I’ve recently read that the 150 gr ttsx is not a good round for the 7-08 d/t not having the velocity for this bullet to fully expand. That the 120 gr or even the 140 gr is needed. Anybody here have good success loading the 150 gr ttsx for the 7-08?

The biggest problem that I've had with Barnes monolithic bullets has been recovering them. They almost always pass right through and keep on going. I've been shooting them in my muzzleloader for ten years now. I started out with Barnes 45 caliber 250 Gr. TEZ sabot bullets at around 1600 FPS and now shoot the 250 Gr. Expander MZ at the same velocity. The few that I have recovered have expanded perfectly. I often can't find the exit wound on deer that I have shot until I skin them. The bullets make a small exit wound and often leave a flap of skin covering it. The internal damage done by these bullets was devastating. I recovered the heart from a deer that I shot in 2019 and it wasn't until I got home and cleaned the heart that I realized that the bullet had blown out the bottom of it. I got the bright idea that I would try to recover some of the bullets by shooting them through bales of compressed cellulose fiber insulation. I found that the bullets would pass through two bales with no problem. I didn't want to put anything hard behind the bales for fear of deforming the bullets. Insulation bales are a lot cheaper then ballistic gelatin and don't freeze. Unfortunately, they don't stop bullets either.

I'm no help with the 150 but I use a lot of barnes bullets in a variety of calibers. In general, you want to shoot a barnes mono that is about 20% lighter than the standard weight cup and core bullet for the caliber. This is so the length of the bullet is comparable to a lead core bullet and will stabilize. For example, I shoot an 80 gr ttsx out of my 243, where the standard core lock would be 100 gr.
It looks like the 120 is most common in loaded ammunition and after looking through the reloading data, I would recommend the 120, that should get you over 3000 fps at the muzzle. That will keep you well above minimum velocities out to standard hunting ranges. With mono bullets, velocity is key, you want to reduce the weight a little and push them as hard as you can.

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and found your post. What type of hunting are you doing( type of game) and at what ranges do you want to hunt?

I hunt with ttsx bullets
At the moment, whitetail, aoudad, and hogs on my lease.
Future goals are a New Mexico elk hunt and then maybe travel north for a black bear and/or moose hunt.

At the moment, whitetail, aoudad, and hogs on my lease.
Future goals are a New Mexico elk hunt and then maybe travel north for a black bear and/or moose hunt.
I've been shooting Barnes for several years. I would go with the 139LRX as an all around bullet for everything in your list.

I would not use 150gr Barnes TTSX in my 7mm-08 Bullet is to long. I have used 150gr Sierra Bt and Speer 145gr and 160gr

Nosler partitions. RL26 is the best powder for them I got 2772 FPS with the 160gr Partitions you can also us RL17 and and for the 150gr and 145gr you can use Hunter. Use flat bases bullets and winchester case and WLRM primers. I would also chose the 120gr Barnes TTSX for most of my hunting. With Barnes speed is the key. Also make the bullet jump to the rifling, much better accuracy that way.

Last edited:
145 lrx bt in my wife’s 700 youth model. No issues with the hand loads. They shoot good and get full expansion on the one recovered from a caribou. I believe the 139 lrx would be a better combo but I used what was on the shelf. left two were the first shots next 4 were after adjusting sights. Sand bag rest 100 yards318C3995-727C-49CE-A6A2-97CBE56064FF.jpeg

Last edited:
If I was using Barnes bullets like I will do in California my choice is the 120gr TTSX with PP2000mr, W760, Big Game, or RL17. I can get 3100 FPS with any of them in my 22.4in Tikka Super lite.

I'm no help with the 150 but I use a lot of barnes bullets in a variety of calibers. In general, you want to shoot a barnes mono that is about 20% lighter than the standard weight cup and core bullet for the caliber. This is so the length of the bullet is comparable to a lead core bullet and will stabilize. For example, I shoot an 80 gr ttsx out of my 243, where the standard core lock would be 100 gr.
It looks like the 120 is most common in loaded ammunition and after looking through the reloading data, I would recommend the 120, that should get you over 3000 fps at the muzzle. That will keep you well above minimum velocities out to standard hunting ranges. With mono bullets, velocity is key, you want to reduce the weight a little and push them as hard as you can.
^ What Fowl said.

ok new to forum but I recently bought a bergara b14 7mm-08 1-9.5 twist 22'' bar could not get a group to save my butt with hornady 139sst gmx or any factory load so did some work reloading powders are hard to find as we all now but finally got a load that is awesome barnes 150 ttsx bt rl-17 46.0 gr col 2.765 cci 200 LR hornady brass 100 yrds under 1\2inch

Something I discovered aout TTSX type bullet's and cup and core type bullet's is that take a 150gr bullet of each and shoot it at an animal. Mili sec's before imact both weight 150gr but on exit the TTSX bullet still weigh's 150gr or darn close and the cup and core has shed say 30% +/- of it's weight. Two things penetrate, velocity and weight. Reduce either and it will effect penetration. So in theory the bullet weighting less but not shading weight should out penetrate the heavier bullet shading weight! Something else I wonder about is seating depth of the TSX type bullet. Seem's to me because of the construction of them, to get to say 150gr they have to be longer than a cup and core bullet. Probably gonna change seating depth! Unless you care to jam the bullet into the lands! This stuff make's me think that going to a lighter TSX type bullet makes a lot of sense.

Anyway from what I've read I'd say the 120gr bullet might be the better between the two if for no other reason that the ability to seat the bullet out in the case without getting into the lands. Seem's most people that do use them do drop down in bullet weight. I don't use them!

Last edited:
ok new to forum but I recently bought a bergara b14 7mm-08 1-9.5 twist 22'' bar could not get a group to save my butt with hornady 139sst gmx or any factory load so did some work reloading powders are hard to find as we all now but finally got a load that is awesome barnes 150 ttsx bt rl-17 46.0 gr col 2.765 cci 200 LR hornady brass 100 yrds under 1\2inch
Most accurate powder in my 7mm-08 was PP2000mr and old Win 760. Both also produce high velocity.

Contact Barnes and ask them what the minimum impact velocity is for that bullet, once you that you approximate your muzzle velocity and can find what your maximum range is with a ballistics calculator and find out if they’ll work for you. Chances are within 300 yds they’ll still reliably expand, out past that it depends what comes out of the ballistics calculator

I was just thinking. Has anyone tried to set uptheir rifle to shoot those longer heavy monolithic bullet's? Maybe the magazine wells aren't long enough but. I had a 7mm mag years ago that shot 160gr bullet's pretty good but 140gr bullets great. Problem was the 140gr bullet's shot well but were pretty messy with what they did to an animal! I figured maybe if I could seat the 2160gr bullet out farther like the 140gr, maybe it would shoot better. I was young. But I seated a 160gr bullet so the base of the bullet was flush with the base of the case neck and gave it to a gunsmith to make it fit in the chamber. he took out the lands enough the bullet was just off the lands and I got more than I bargained for. My original load was 67grs N-205 and it grouped about 1" at 1009yds, nothing to complain about but I was young. Got it back and re-worked the load and max went to 69grs N-205 and groups sank to consistent 5/8th inch at 100 yds.

If I understand it right, one of the problems with monolithic bullet's, if it's a problem, is bullet length. Being lighter than lead the bullet's of equal weight are longer and need to e seated deeper in the case. Answer seems to be to drop down in bullet weight. Well what if you loaded up a dummy with the bullet seated farther out and had the barrel reamed out to accept it. Of course this assumes the magazine will accommodate the length. The 7mm mag I did it with was a Sako L61 and the magazine did let me do it but I admit at the time I was clueless about that. I know I had a 6mm Rem for awhile on the 308 length action and I could not seat out bullet's to reach the lands, magazine stopped me!

But if the magazine allowed it, maybe it would increase velocity some to make it worth while. One thing that drives me nut's is having to seat the bullet down past the base of the neck! That old 7mm mag destroyed me!

I've taken a whole bunch of elk with my 7mm-08, loaded with 120 gr. TTSX. It's a great bullet and plenty capable. The 140 gr. would be fine too; I just find the 7mm-08 and the 120 gr. TTSX go together quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back