Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

7mm-08 question

michiganmike

I'm just starting to learn about ballistics, but I really want to hunt elk this year. My plan was to copy off of Randy. Just bought a 7mm-08 (not a Howa, sorry Randy). I was planning to shoot the Nosler 140 grain Trophy Grade Accubond that Randy uses, but the Nosler website says it is out of stock. And it is pretty expensive. Would the standard Nosler 140 grain E-Tip or Ballistic Tip be similar enough? Which is better between the two?
Thanks in advance.
-Mike

I'd go with the E-tip on elk although either one will work. I like the monolithic bullets from a penetration and weight retention stand point.

I would definitely NOT use the Ballistic Tip on elk.
Work great on deer sized game. But expand too rapidly for elk.

Big Fin uses a lot of E-Tip.

Otherwise the Accubond or the Partition would work well.

My son harvested a cow elk last year with his 7mm-08 and a Nosler 140 grain partition at 340 yards. One shot kill. We recently purchased some 140 grain Nosler Accubonds to try out as well. I would definitely stick with the Accubonds or the Partitions.

I have yet to shoot anything with my 7-08 but can tell you it likes Accubonds quite a bit. Very consistent sub MOA groups using 41.3grns of Varget.

I would definitely NOT listen to people that have never shot an elk with a Ballistic Tip.

My nephew shot his first elk a couple years ago with a 120 grain BT from his 7-08. He shot it through the heart at about 70 yards or so...breaking the near shoulder right through the large shoulder bone. The bullet traveled through the heart and was just under the hide on the off-side. Muzzle velocity is 2825 FPS, I suspect the bullet impacted at 2700ish.

1014161802c.jpg

Here is a photo of the 120 BT that killed that elk...hardly "explosive", and held together as well as any bullet would have. IF the ballistic tips were so "explosive" this elk would have never been killed...it would have shattered and exploded on the near side shoulder bone.

2016101795120055.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to use the 140 BT from a 7-08 on elk for a second...or the 120 BT for that matter.

Oh, and my nephew has used those same "explosive" 120's on deer and pronghorn as well. Have not experienced anything close to "explosive" behavior.

In fairness...he takes after his uncle with good shot placement.

photo0.jpg

Big Fin uses a lot of E-Tip.

Otherwise the Accubond or the Partition would work well.

No problem using ballistic tip on elk

Shot this bull right at 300 yards with two 150 grain ballistics out of a 7mm mashburn at 3250fps. First one blew on threw and second one blew through both shoulders and was up against the hide on the off side

Attachments

• 6C32B2B3-7684-465C-997A-3BD2EB8070DD.jpg
    6C32B2B3-7684-465C-997A-3BD2EB8070DD.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 423
Top bullet is a 150 grain ballistic tip started at 3250fps pulled from off side of an elk at 60 yards. Bottom bullet is same load pulled from elk at 300 yards. Middle bullet is 160 grain accubond at 3200fps pulled from off side of an elk at 460 yards

Attachments

• 948E1BE9-9D2F-4675-8C7B-C2E2F48A03E1.jpg
    948E1BE9-9D2F-4675-8C7B-C2E2F48A03E1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 425
The 7mm-HT isn't a screamer so you probably aren't going to have some of the issues that guys shooting hotter cartridges experience. I've had and seen mixed results from ballistic tips in some of my rifles and just chose to shoot Accubonds or Partitions. I'm sure you'll be fine with ballistic tips on elk with your setup. Putting the bullets where they're supposed to go is more important than which bullet you choose.

There were some problems with the first run ballistic tips but that was many years ago. I'd trust the BT on elk any day.
I would get a box of the etip, ballistic tip and even the partition and see what your rifle shoots the best. Then get a few more boxes and practice with your rifle and get comfortable with it.

The 7-08 is a really great cartridge, I shot my first moose with it using 140 gr nosler partitions I loaded. Mine shoots almost anything I load under moa. Find a load your rifle likes with a good bullet and practice. You said the accubonds were expensive, if your rifle shoots them well and you have confidence in the gun and bullet they will justify the cost. The bullet has the final say on the outcome of the hunt. Good luck and take care

If your 7/08 likes the 140 BT, USE them. Too much bad press has come from the very early days by guys that were burning a canister of powder with each shot. I used the 150gr BT out of my 7RM and never, Never had a single issue.

With the 7/08 velocities I seriously doubt you'll experience any glitches what so ever.

May be why I have 500 SPS seconds on hand when I could get them dirt cheap !

A year or so ago I ran across this youtube video put on by Federal Premium Ammo. It compares performance of several bullets including the Nosler BT. Their test gun was a 30-06. The BT performed very well during the tests. Worth the watch if considering BT. I suck at computer stuff and I don't think the link will work if you click on it. In Youtube, it's titled as "Federal Premium Bullet Breakdown".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMKvetaMqhE&t=655s

I'm just starting to learn about ballistics, but I really want to hunt elk this year. My plan was to copy off of Randy. Just bought a 7mm-08 (not a Howa, sorry Randy). I was planning to shoot the Nosler 140 grain Trophy Grade Accubond that Randy uses, but the Nosler website says it is out of stock. And it is pretty expensive. Would the standard Nosler 140 grain E-Tip or Ballistic Tip be similar enough? Which is better between the two?
Thanks in advance.
-Mike

My favorite bullet in my old 7x57 wan a 154gr Hornady RN. couldn't get anything else to work in it! Back then I didn't like velocity but also needed a bullet that would hold together and was not willing to spend the cost of partitions then. I have had such good results with cup and core bullet's, even to this day I would not waste my money on a premium bullet. There is one bullet I found great in my old 7mm mag and would use today in a 7mm-08 and that is the 160gr Speer hot core. That used to be a great bullet, held together as well as today's bonded core and cost half the price of the bonded core!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back