Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

721 Makeover

mtmuley

picture.php
Got the stock painted. I'm assembling the rifle tonite. I'll post another pic then. mtmuley

My brother found a used 721 a few years ago that a guy was selling cheap, my brother couldn't go look at it and so I went for him, I've always regretted buying it for my brother - I should've told him it was sold when I got there and just kept it for myself.:D Now it's just a safe princess at his house. Why he don't shoot it more I'll never understand.:confused:

I wiped mine down after cleaning and re arranging my safe this morning. It probably won't come out again until the 4th of July. I have plenty of other guns to shoot that mean a lot less to me so it stays tucked away in the back.

Where are the 721 pics?

I've been messing around with my dad's old 721 in 30-06. I still have the original wood stock.

I wanted to do a practice run glass bedding it into a cheap stock

I bought a used Butler Creek pillar bedded stock, glass bedded it, added a better recoil pad, and gave it a paint job a few days ago.

I plan to take it to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

In the future I'd like to put a nicer stock on it and refinish the blueing as it's pretty worn.

I'd like to see how yours turned out Mtmuley.

That turned out great dude!

How did you do the web pattern? It looks just like the green web B&C stock I put on my Weatherby.

Here is a pic of my 721 project, I dont think my paint-fu is any match for yours.

Attachments

• 2013-03-29_19-33-49_727.jpg
    2013-03-29_19-33-49_727.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
The paint is Krylon Webbing. It works alright, but I wish it sprayed a finer web. I also bedded and free-floated it. I was gonna do a leaf camo, but chickened out. The web is pretty simple. mtmuley

FWIW, I've heard of folks having good luck using Krylon clear over the top of the webbing to make it a bit more wear resistant. I just took possession of a rifle that might be getting a similar treatment. Good work, congrats.

Thats a nice looking project.

My dad has an old 721 30-06. He bought used as a young man after returning home from Germany. A few years ago I re-finished the old walnut stock and mounted a new 3x9 Leupold on it. If these old rifles could talk.

Thanks guys. I wanted to shoot it Sunday, but our range was closed. Someone on the thread mentioned he kept his 721 in the safe all the time. I shot my first elk with this particular 721 when I was 13 years old. I'd be beside myself if my kids would do the same with it. mtmuley

I'll have to look into that krylon webbing paint.

I envisioned a fan, paintbrush, and a mess.

dalbo, It works pretty good. Do a test on some cardboard first to get the hang of how it sprays. I did a black stock with silver for my RUM (the webbing doesn't come in gray) that turned out alright, just too much silver. Then I figured out the stock had a crack in it, so went with a B&C (different story). I did what 1_pointer said also, and sprayed it with a matte laquer when I was done. I figure if it doesn't wear well, I could get an autobody shop to spray it with a good clearcoat. Good luck, mtmuley

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back