6mm Remington Fan Club: Parker-Hale 1200 Super

SticksMcKinley

Here's something for the 6mm Remington fans. It was requested in another thread that I post pictures of my Parker-Hale rifle, so here she is in all of her glory, a 1200 Super model in 6mm Remington. According to my research, the rifle was made in the Birmingham, England factory sometime in the '60s-'70s, but I'm unsure of the year. It features a Mauser action, 24" barrel (1:10" twist), glossy oil-finished French walnut stock, deep blue finish, rollover cheekpiece, palm swell, skip-line checkering, rosewood grip cap and forend tip.

6mm_1.jpg
6mm-2.jpg

The rifle belonged to a dear friend of mine who passed away in 2014. He sourced the vintage Redfield 3-9x scope and installed it after having the scope inspected. I've hardly touched the dials as it's sighted for 100gr Core-Lokts and shoots under 1 MOA very easily. I posted the early '70s 80gr HP box for nostalgia.

I have been hesitant to take it afield until last year when I decided to take it on a whitetail hunt. I figured that if I was very careful with it, I would have no problems. It rained, of course, so I shot the first doe I saw and got myself out of the woods in short order. I couldn't help but take a photo with the rifle and the animal, so then it was not only wet, but I somehow managed to get blood all over it. I'm sure I'll take it hunting again sometime, but my friend took great care of it and I try to do the same. Perhaps it will see the sagebrush someday on a pronghorn hunt. I like to have a scope that I can adjust more easily out West, but it would be fun to take this one.

Last edited:
It's lovely sticks. A late deer hunting buddy of mine hunted with an Ithaca 6mm...he was a helluva good shot with it.

Thanks for the pictures.

That is a great looking rifle! My dad had one in 300 Win Mag that I borrowed to shoot my biggest whitetail. Since I am a lefty, the rollover cheekpiece made it a little challenging to shoot.

That is a great looking rifle! My dad had one in 300 Win Mag that I borrowed to shoot my biggest whitetail. Since I am a lefty, the rollover cheekpiece made it a little challenging to shoot.

Ouch! That hurts just thinking about it. But when Number One steps into your line of sight...it doesn't matter!

Man that thing is lovely. Just like mine no matter how pretty it is, it deserves to be taken out and hunted with. It's a shame to leave them sitting in a safe and not seeing it in the great outdoors! Use it. When you hunt with a rifle like that, it's just like I told my wife and I go by this also. When you go down, body down rifle up. Body down rifle up. You sacrifice yourself for the rifle. She didn't really see my humor as I did.

Man that thing is lovely. Just like mine no matter how pretty it is, it deserves to be taken out and hunted with. It's a shame to leave them sitting in a safe and not seeing it in the great outdoors! Use it. When you hunt with a rifle like that, it's just like I told my wife and I go by this also. When you go down, body down rifle up. Body down rifle up. You sacrifice yourself for the rifle. She didn't really see my humor as I did.

Ha! That’s right. You can stitch up a face, but there’s little chance of replacing one of these stocks.

Seeing the name Parker-Hale brings back a very fond memory. Some forty years ago, I was on a two month adventure in Zambia, the country was in upheaval but I had a government scout who was a gem. When he first arrived in camp his uniform was ragged and he wore a sweater with holes, yet he was and appeared a true gentleman. His rifle was ancient and battle scarred. I looked at it and said, “ ah, a Parker-Hale “. He admonished me firmly and proudly stated, , “ No sir, this is an English Rifle “! His prized firearm had no front or rear sight.
Reflecting back decades later, having been side by side with a a multitude of government game scouts, he stood out as one of the best, each and every day. Once, he stood staunchly by my side with his sightless Parker-Hale as we took out a charging lioness who had lost a front paw in a poachers snare.

Last edited:
Seeing the name Parker-Hale brings back a very fond memory. Some forty years ago, I was on a two month adventure in Zambia, the country was in upheaval but I had a government scout who was a gem. When he first arrived in camp his uniform was ragged and he wore a sweater with holes, yet he was and appeared a true gentleman. His rifle was ancient and battle scarred. I looked at it and said, “ ah, a Parke-Hale “. He admonished me firmly and proudly stated, , “ No sir, this is an English Rifle “! His prized firearm had no front or rear sight.
Reflecting back decades later, having been side by side with a a multitude of government game scouts, he stood out as one of the best, each and every day. Once, he stood staunchly by my side with his sightless Parker-Hale as we took out a charging lioness who had lost a front paw in a poachers snare.
That is fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

I just had to look at that thing again. Dang it's pretty! It just screams hunt with me, hunt with me! I have a buddy who has several Parker Hale rifles like yours and he's got one in 6mm Remington also. Lucky bugger.

I just had to look at that thing again. Dang it's pretty! It just screams hunt with me, hunt with me! I have a buddy who has several Parker Hale rifles like yours and he's got one in 6mm Remington also. Lucky bugger.

Thank you! I hope to draw blood with it again before the end of this season.

That is a beautiful firearm. I also like the old green box of Remington ammo.
I remember back in the late 60's when I was a kid we had to go into Mountain City NV to buy some ammo for my brother's 6mm. The box looked like it had been on the shelf for years with as much dust was on it and the ammo was labeled .244 Remington.
Ahh the good old days.(y)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back