MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

6.8 Western

I have some 70 grain in .243 also. Have yet to load them. The 80 grain is a killer. Gonna load the 124 in my .270. The rifle didn't like the 117's. mtmuley
I'm thinking my boys will be slinging 70gr Hammers out of their 243 for deer this year. Can't see it not working. IF I can get all the parts in for the LH 25-45 Sharps AR, I'm going to give the 67gr Hammer a look for that as well. Like the idea of keeping the velocity high and recoil down with these lighter options in these diameters.

Its not about need or that a new one will do what others wont its about gun and ammo manufacturers increasing their sales. You guys have all been to the grocery store. Take a look at the toothpaste section. 30 brands with 12 flavors each in five different sizes. The more different options they offer the more facings they have on the shelf the more paste they sell. We killed plenty of game without the 6.5 creed but look at the sales they have got in the last few years. More choices dont cost you anything unless you want them to.

This new cartridge seems just like the pain reliever aisle in the store. You've got Tylenol caplets, tablets, gelcaps, geltabs, extra strength, regular strength, also available in liquid form. Same thing with Motrin, Aleve, Bayer, Excedrin, you get the idea.
Do we need to have all of them?
It's all the exact same thing, accomplishes the same results but the company gets that much more space on the shelf.
Winchester is doing the same thing.
LOL I read your post after I posted my toothpaste reference. Scary another guy thinks like me.

I still have a fondness for a .308 win. and a 30-06.
Well, then again I'm getting old - old-er - - lol

I’m kinda curious about this round. We went to the local sporting goods store yesterday and the only ammo they had was this and 26 nosler in stock. The bullet size and ballistics kinds feels like it falls somewhere between the 6.5 prc and 7mm mag. Not a bad place to be. A high bc 165 grain bullet around 2900 FPS isn’t bad at all. Is it needed? Probably not, but it certainly doesn’t sound bad at all.

I’m kinda curious about this round. We went to the local sporting goods store yesterday and the only ammo they had was this and 26 nosler in stock. The bullet size and ballistics kinds feels like it falls somewhere between the 6.5 prc and 7mm mag. Not a bad place to be. A high bc 165 grain bullet around 2900 FPS isn’t bad at all. Is it needed? Probably not, but it certainly doesn’t sound bad at all.
Buy it now. Then later it will fade. mtmuley

Not MI.. or WI. Or PA or TN not sure where you got pretty much every state. I didn't look any further but I would say you got that part of the statement wrong.. I do know KY has that restriction..

In TN you could hunt elk with a 22 Hornet...

I am pretty excited to check it out. I always like messing with new stuff. Wont be any different for this.
I was looking for a bit more than my Tikka t3x in 30-06. Have researched a lot of calibers and decided on this. Just ordered one from Grice. Browning Xbolt Western hunter. Looking for the right scope now

I too was intrigued by it but couldn’t find anything but the ammo. Stopped by cabelas the other night and they had one. It had arrived that day and was rehomed that night. I look forward to seeing how it performs.

I have some 70 grain in .243 also. Have yet to load them. The 80 grain is a killer. Gonna load the 124 in my .270. The rifle didn't like the 117's. mtmuley
Hey @mtmuley, how did your .270 124 gr HH work up go? I just loaded a pressure ladder using IMR4831 but haven’t had a calm day to do shoot yet.

I was looking for a bit more than my Tikka t3x in 30-06. Have researched a lot of calibers and decided on this. Just ordered one from Grice. Browning Xbolt Western hunter. Looking for the right scope now
You may look a lifetime and not find a bit more than your Tikka 30-06.

Hey @mtmuley, how did your .270 124 gr HH work up go? I just loaded a pressure ladder using IMR4831 but haven’t had a calm day to do shoot yet.
I have been way to busy to get to any handloading lately. That rifle doesn't see much use these days, but I'll get to it sometime. mtmuley

You may look a lifetime and not find a bit more than your Tikka 30-06.
Pretty happy right now. The Tikka is grouping 3/4” with 178gr Hornady Precision Hunter. I shot 16 rds with the 6.8 Western during breakin. Had 10 shots under 1.5”. The CDS dial for the Leupold just showed up. Longer range tuning starts next week.

A couple guys the other day showed up at the range with them. Both browning, one a hells canyon the other similar. Both set up for long range. Nice guns. Accurate. I like the cartridge. We will see if it sticks.

I would really like the option to shoot high BC bullets out of my WSM, but a new rifle is cheaper than a rebarrel, and it's a new rifle. Some how this feels like a trap.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back