6.5 PRC vs. 6.5 Creedmoor, aka the Superman Bun takes on the Man Bun

SticksMcKinley

Any 6.5 PRC owners on here? I'm on the verge of placing a new rifle order and considering it vs. the Creedmoor. I have a Tikka CTR in Creedmoor that shoots very well, but I set it up in a chassis so that my son may also use it with a shorter length of pull. I don't care for hauling it around when he's not hunting with me, so I'm thinking about a somewhat lighter rifle with a more classic sporter stock like a Christensen Ridgeline or Bergara Highlander chambered for either cartridge. The Ridgeline would be the lighter of the two with its carbon wrapped barrel. Cartridge-wise, it looks like I'd be gaining about 250 FPS and less wind drift with the PRC. To me, it looks like that's enough of an advantage to choose it over the Creedmoor, esp when thinking about hunting on the windy plains for pronghorn.

Any opinions from the 6.5 PRC crowd would be appreciated. Perhaps "crowd" is too strong of a word for a new cartridge platform. Maybe the 6.5 PRC gathering or pair or just the one 6.5 PRC guy could speak up. Thanks!

Both great cartridges, but if you've already got the Creedmoor and since you want a little more zip - go with the PRC. I don't own one, but my son has a PRC and does very well hunting as well as the range. I think Hornady does a good job of backing a product and while the PRC may not reach the level of the Creedmoor in sales, they'll have ammo if you're not a reloader.

Both great cartridges, but if you've already got the Creedmoor and since you want a little more zip - go with the PRC. I don't own one, but my son has a PRC and does very well hunting as well as the range. I think Hornady does a good job of backing a product and while the PRC may not reach the level of the Creedmoor in sales, they'll have ammo if you're not a reloader.

Thanks for your input! That's how I'm leaning and hoping that the PRC will stick around.

Ammo options may be a consideration. I see lots of options in the local store for the creedmoor, none for the PRC (yet).

Good thing is for brass it is starting to get a few other offerings besides Hornady. Bertram and ADG are supplying some, ADG seems to have some good reviews.

Wyatt is making a mag well and specific follower for a SA Rem 700 so it can be loaded long.

Think it’s just a matter of time before it gives the Creedmoor a run for its market share.

Ammo options may be a consideration. I see lots of options in the local store for the creedmoor, none for the PRC (yet).

Yes, it is a concern. I can see how the PRC may be what the Creedmoor should've been, but which one outlives the other is hard to say - other than the Creedmoor is well ahead of the game.

I have shot and tested several different manufactures rifles in 6.5 PRC. If its going to be a regular hunting rifle then any of the offerings will work for you. If you want to shoot some of the newer heavier 6.5 bullets, most manufactures are building on a short action, so you can't set the bullet out long enough to fully utilize the heavier weight high BC bullets.

I have shot and tested several different manufactures rifles in 6.5 PRC. If its going to be a regular hunting rifle then any of the offerings will work for you. If you want to shoot some of the newer heavier 6.5 bullets, most manufactures are building on a short action, so you can't set the bullet out long enough to fully utilize the heavier weight high BC bullets.

Thanks for the advice. I'll just be using this one primarily for hunting, likely with the 143gr Hornady Precision Hunter load.

Back