6.5 PRC vs. 6.5 Creedmoor, aka the Superman Bun takes on the Man Bun

i have extensive experience with both. heres what you get.
I dont think this should be compared to 6.5 creedmoor, compare it to 6.5x284 or 6.5x55

6.5 PRC- think of it as a 6.5 short mag
-VERY easy to do load development. most loads using 140-147 gr bullet with h1000 are single digit SD and sub moa.
- powders that work well- h1000, R26, Retumbo
- factory ammo shoots amazingly well
- i have a load pushing the 147gr @ 3030fps with 4-5sd
-recoil impulse is much like a 155gr .308 load
- requires a medium action or long action.

i have extensive experience with both. heres what you get.
I dont think this should be compared to 6.5 creedmoor, compare it to 6.5x284 or 6.5x55

6.5 PRC- think of it as a 6.5 short mag
-VERY easy to do load development. most loads using 140-147 gr bullet with h1000 are single digit SD and sub moa.
- powders that work well- h1000, R26, Retumbo
- factory ammo shoots amazingly well
- i have a load pushing the 147gr @ 3030fps with 4-5sd
-recoil impulse is much like a 155gr .308 load
- requires a medium action or long action.

Thank you very much - that helps a lot! I hand load as well and this will help me make decisions later with loading. I think my local investment banker, I mean, gun dealer will be getting a 6.5 PRC order from me in the next couple of days. Thanks again!

Thank you very much - that helps a lot! I hand load as well and this will help me make decisions later with loading. I think my local investment banker, I mean, gun dealer will be getting a 6.5 PRC order from me in the next couple of days. Thanks again!

You should get on ADG site and order brass now. Last I heard there was a waiting list for when they do their next run.

I'm still looking for a previously enjoyed (read as used), Savage action at a price i'm willing to pay.
Rebarrel to 6.5mm Rem Mag.
Already have the forming die, and reloading dies. (Cart before the horse)
Easily made from 7mm Rem Mag brass.

Owning a creedmoor a 6.5-284 and a 6.5 prc I can honestly say that for a hunting caliber the 6.5 prc is probably my favorite ever. I’ve been a strictly 30 cal guy most of my life but I’ve gotten into these three 6.5’s because of my job, and I really think that if you want a smaller caliber bullet for hunting the prc could be the end all for it. I’m averaging 300 fps faster than my creedmoor and factory ammunition is easier to find than for the 6.5-284. And it packs a hell of a wallop on the other end. I had a summer bear hunt this year and took my prc because it was shooting so well. It was amazing how fast that bear expired when hit with a 147 grain eld-m.

It will kick too hard for the CM shooters. No chance of market share overtake. I still thin the 6.5 Rem Mag is the coolest

I ended up with the Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. I really like it so far. FWIW, I'm averaging 2985 out of the 1:8 twist, 24" barrel with Hornady's Precision Hunter 143 gr load.

Or just get a .270! :p If you are a performance junky, the PRC would be great. If you spend much time at the range, the barrel like may be an issue. For my needs, the Creed and .260 do fine, but that PRC would be a fun rifle, for sure.

WBY just came out with the 6.5 RPM.

Yeah, it's somewhat interesting. I suppose I see the appeal from a sheep hunter's perspective, given some additional case capacity and the Ti's very light rifle build, but I don't see it filling any need for me right now. It looks like a dang near match in a race with the 6.5 PRC with a factory load, unless I'm missing something.

Hands down decision, especially for someone that reloads.
I think you already know which one you are going to go with.
I had a chance to shoot one a few weeks back.
The recoil wasn't much more than my .260 Rem. It was very accurate and pushed the 143gr over 3,000 fps out of a 22" barrel, fired over my chronograph.
Those were reloaded with R-26 powder.
I see a 6.5 PRC in my near future.
A #3 contour, 24" barrel is what I am picturing.

I can like the extra fps for a longer range rifle, but for me I'm pretty happy at hunting distances with the 6.5 C. And the 6.5x47 I had before that, and the 260ai I had before that...like Bambi says 6.5 C types like me don't care for more recoil than about 43 grains of powder offers, and I truly don't.

I love 6.5 PRC, but I am concern about barrel life, I hear , need new barrels after 1200 rounds and ammo availability today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back