6.5 Gibbs

IndyJay

Dan/Mike... what do you guys know about this cartridge? It looks like it drives a 140gr. pill at a pretty good pace! Is it on a par with the .264 Winchester Mag or is it a bit quicker! Also, can you form brass by necking down a .280?

I really need to work harder....

I have had one for 10 years now,it's a little work forming cases but it's a good little cartridge.Here is a picture showing the process the case goes through.When I first started I used Mil 06 brass but now use 270 Win so the neck will be slightly longer.

gibbs.jpg

Here is the rifle,it's fast even with stingy powder charges,but this is due to its 31 1/2 inch barrel. ;)

DSC00028.jpg

I can try to answer some questions :cool:

AA

Jay, the Gibbs variation on the 6.5-06 performs about the same as the Ackley Improved configuration. Neither of them will equal the .264 Win Mag with good handloads and a suitable barrel length.

A friend in Gilbert is reporting velocities in the 3400 fps range with 140 grain partitions. He is shooting a 264 win mag in a custom rig with a 30" tube. He says the accuracy is not believable out to 500 yards. The kicker is, he's using my old load of IMR 7828 and getting 200 fps more than I was with a 26 inch tube.

I'll try to hook up with him one day over the Holiday shutdown and see if he's pulling my leg. I'll let you know.

:cool:

Indy- If you want to be a bit different you could go with the 6.5X68. It's ballistically the twin of the .264WinMag, but uses a beltless case. I know RWS makes brass and I think Norma might also. Just a suggestion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back