6.5 Creedmor

warmer

Friend of mine just bought a new rifle in this caliber. I know nothing about it, but a little research indicates it a target caliber. Anyone hunt big game with it?

They perform right on par with a 260 Remington, and should be a good hunting cartridge. The issue he will probably find is a decent selection of factory loaded hunting rounds. It is a proprietary caliber of Hornady, and they seem to be about the only source of ammo. For hunting they do load an Interbond (knockoff Accubond) and a GMX.

I shoot a 260 Rem, and I would have no reservations taking it out to kill another elk.

I've got 2 buddies that use it for whitetails. Has gotten the job done for them both. As MH said, its about equal to the .260 rem. It's become the new latest greatest must have caliber in NE SD. It's a hand loaders caliber for sure as factory ammo is limited at best.

Not my cup of tea, but lots of people love it and it will kill animals no problem.

I've got 2 buddies that use it for whitetails. Has gotten the job done for them both. As MH said, its about equal to the .260 rem. It's become the new latest greatest must have caliber in NE SD. It's a hand loaders caliber for sure as factory ammo is limited at best.

Not my cup of tea, but lots of people love it and it will kill animals no problem.

yep! 6.5 creedmoor is pretty poplar here at legacy, quite a few deer fell last year due to the 6.5 CM. amazing little round! low recoil, 140gr, 2700fps, high BC. I shoot a lot of 6.5 CM. love its ability to buck wind drift as well as flatter trajectory than .308. my HB Howa has seen 1000yd+ more times than i care to count.
i have seen quite a few elk taken with this round. Hornady is the best bet for factory ammo and my rifle absolutely loves the 140gr amax. my last 200 yard group measured right around .750"

Last edited:
I just got my savage ww 16 in 6.5 creedmoor,,1st time out,shoots nice,,no recoil,,shootin quarter sized groups at 100 yrds and its a blustery day,,,im sure I could narrow that to dime sized groups on a calm day..it should be a great lopr,deer gun,,,,maybe a little light for elk and bear,but im gonna give it a try on spring bear in a couple weeks with the 143 eld-x bullets.

What a coincidence, He lives in NE SD!

I just got my savage ww 16 in 6.5 creedmoor,,1st time out,shoots nice,,no recoil,,shootin quarter sized groups at 100 yrds and its a blustery day,,,im sure I could narrow that to dime sized groups on a calm day..it should be a great lopr,deer gun,,,,maybe a little light for elk and bear,but im gonna give it a try on spring bear in a couple weeks with the 143 eld-x bullets.

I think that you will find that it will kill bears and elk just fine. The 6.5 performs well above what the paper ballistics say it should.

im gonna give it a try on spring bear here in a couple of weeks,,accurate shot placement should be the main factor,and this thing shoots nice.

im gonna give it a try on spring bear here in a couple of weeks,,accurate shot placement should be the main factor,and this thing shoots nice.

I can't speak for the bullet you are shooting necessarily, but you will love the caliber. I shot a pretty decent sized boar with my 260 last spring with a 130grn AB, and it was lights out.

My favorite thing about it is that the recoil is so mild, I can watch the round impact through the scope.

The Creedmoor is a fantastic round, great accuracy and it will kill. My sons use that round shooting both competitive matches and for hunting, anything up to and including elk it will work great. I shoot the 260 Rem and they are very similar in capability/performance. Another factory ammo to consider is Prime ammo, it's good stuff.

I plan on picking up a Howa barrelled action in 6.5 to put in the full sized stock that came with my 2in1 package. I figure it will be a good way to fill in the gap between 243 and 308. I'm not sure if I want a 20" or 22" in blue or stainless. I'll probably let my checkbook decide that one.

I plan on picking up a Howa barrelled action in 6.5 to put in the full sized stock that came with my 2in1 package. I figure it will be a good way to fill in the gap between 243 and 308. I'm not sure if I want a 20" or 22" in blue or stainless. I'll probably let my checkbook decide that one.

I would go with the longer barrel for the sake of velocity and balance.

With a cartridge that has the potential to use the 6.5 bullet, the more barrel the better. mtmuley

Looks like the blued 22" is the cheapest but the cerekote would make a nice setup. Availability looks like it may be an issue as well.

go with the 22"

Back