Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

6.5 Creedmoor Rifle Suggestions

My experience with a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless has been excellent. Light and it'll shoot 10 round groups like this at 100 yards with only a 6X scope.... hot, cold, several types of ammo, similar results.

20190829_122329.jpg20190829_122904.jpg

B14, Howa, Xbolt,T3X, Model 70, M77, Model 700, they are all great guns. It really just comes down to personal preference.I’d put a vx5 2-10 on it.

I bought a $600 Bergara B14 hunter just to finally have a 6.5 creedmore. Put an old VXIII on it. After packing it around for a while I finally built some loads for it.
The first five NLRAB into a perfect clover leaf, and repeatable.
Grandson shot his first deer with it, won’t give it back.
In my opinion it is a plain Jane soul less rifle but you would have a hard time finding a rifle that shoots better.
My birthday is Sunday, since my Grandson “stole”my rifle, we are going to town today I’ll buy another.
Good luck, have fun.

What ranges are you shooting with your B14?

That Tikka looks like a real shooter. The barrel channel in the stock looks huge. Definitely nothing anywhere near touching.

That looks like a great setup but that scope goes for $300-400. Is that Howa really a $1200-1300 gun?
The HS Precision stock is a $400 upgrade, add in the Ceracote and brake (another $300-$400), the Leupold scope and mounts and the Randy Newberg Signature Howa is a great value. The Howa has a well deserved reputation for excellent out of the box accuracy.

Here's my very, very strong opinion. Hunting elk in the mountains and hunting deer in a treestand requires two different rifles. For some reason, I made the mistake of carrying my 7mm Rem Mag out to the woods yesterday and applied a perfectly placed shot on an adult whitetail doe at 75 yards. Despite the bullet entering 3" behind the left shoulder and exiting primarily the same place with the opposite shoulder forward, the damage was devistating. I will NEVER pull that rifle out for a wisconsin hunt again. In fact, I despise meat damage so much that I'm really beating myself up for taking that rifle out. I have a .243 for a reason, and it is nearly the perfect tool for midwest and forest hunting.

Here's my very, very strong opinion. Hunting elk in the mountains and hunting deer in a treestand requires two different rifles. For some reason, I made the mistake of carrying my 7mm Rem Mag out to the woods yesterday and applied a perfectly placed shot on an adult whitetail doe at 75 yards. Despite the bullet entering 3" behind the left shoulder and exiting primarily the same place with the opposite shoulder forward, the damage was devistating. I will NEVER pull that rifle out for a wisconsin hunt again. In fact, I despise meat damage so much that I'm really beating myself up for taking that rifle out. I have a .243 for a reason, and it is nearly the perfect tool for midwest and forest hunting.

Find a middle of the road for both, you don't need a magnum for elk.

Welcome to HT!

New to the forum and looking for some help. I am looking at spending under $2k for rifle and scope. I think I have settled on 6.5 Creedmoor for the caliber and a Leupold VX-3i or VX-5HD scope. I will primarily be doing whitetail hunting from a treestand or blind but possibly some mule deer and antelope. Would like to go elk hunting in a few years but I would need (want) a another rifle. I cannot get a good read on what to do for the rifle. I've read so many reviews that my eyes are going cross. Below is what I've been leaning towards but open to any and all suggestions.

- Bergara B-14 Ridge
- Weatherby Vanguard First Lite
- Weatherby Vanguard Back Country

Appreciate the input.

I just ordered a Tikka T3x Lite Veil Wideland.... Vortex Viper 4 - 16. I have another Tikka. It has the best out of the box trigger I’ve shot. The reviews are super solid. Dying to get it after piles of research.

New to the forum and looking for some help. I am looking at spending under $2k for rifle and scope. I think I have settled on 6.5 Creedmoor for the caliber and a Leupold VX-3i or VX-5HD scope. I will primarily be doing whitetail hunting from a treestand or blind but possibly some mule deer and antelope. Would like to go elk hunting in a few years but I would need (want) a another rifle. I cannot get a good read on what to do for the rifle. I've read so many reviews that my eyes are going cross. Below is what I've been leaning towards but open to any and all suggestions.

- Bergara B-14 Ridge
- Weatherby Vanguard First Lite
- Weatherby Vanguard Back Country

Appreciate the input.
I think you should look at them all and get a good feel for them. I like Weatherbys and Bergaras so, I like where your heads at. As for optics, give @schmalts a message!

Cheers and welcome aboard

Funny 6.5 is “near” the middle. Isn’t it funny how some ride these cartridge waves? Ultra-mag anyone?
Unlike most of the ultramags i don't see the creedmoor as a cartridge that is going away anytime soon. Other 6.5's may, but not the creedmoor. I think it will just settle in with other popular cartridges like the 270. The ultramags may be a bit too much of a good thing and that might be why they seem to be slowly dying off. Ihave several friends whom own them but they never get shot because they dont reload and they are so expensive to shoot. In contrast, the creedmoor guys shoot all the time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back