Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

6.5 Creedmoor Rifle Suggestions

JScoMN

New to the forum and looking for some help. I am looking at spending under $2k for rifle and scope. I think I have settled on 6.5 Creedmoor for the caliber and a Leupold VX-3i or VX-5HD scope. I will primarily be doing whitetail hunting from a treestand or blind but possibly some mule deer and antelope. Would like to go elk hunting in a few years but I would need (want) a another rifle. I cannot get a good read on what to do for the rifle. I've read so many reviews that my eyes are going cross. Below is what I've been leaning towards but open to any and all suggestions.

- Bergara B-14 Ridge
- Weatherby Vanguard First Lite
- Weatherby Vanguard Back Country

Appreciate the input.

Remington Model Seven SS in 6.5 Creed or in 7-08 or 308 for your up to elk hunting.

I'll either tote my Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM or my Model Seven SS in 308 elk hunting this season.

Remington Model Seven SS in 6.5 Creed or in 7-08 or 308 for your up to elk hunting.

I'll either tote my Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM or my Model Seven SS in 308 elk hunting this season.

An elk hunt is just a dream right now and would like to get another rifle in the near future. I think I am looking for my every year whitetail/mule deer hunting rig. This is my first rifle purchase. I've bow hunted all my life but just got into rifle hunting about 5 years ago. I've been using friends' rifles for the first few years and now that it has been a few years and I am going to rifle hunt for the rest of my life, I can't really justify not owning my own!

looked up for the sectional density of the 156 gr projectile and its .320 compared to a 165 gr 30 cal which is .248

That looks like a great setup but that scope goes for $300-400. Is that Howa really a $1200-1300 gun?

I don't have one, but I think you're getting some additional upgrades beyond a basic Howa with the stock, Cerakote finish, muzzle brake and threaded barrel. FWIW, I picked up a 6.5 PRC rifle this year and love it.

I have a B14 HMR, it is one very nice rifle. I am sure that ridge would be great. The Randy Newberg signature series Howa is a good deal too. Keep in mind with that package its's not just the scope you are getting, but the upgraded stock as well as rings and bases. When you start adding all that stuff up its gets expensive quick.

If I were you I'd take a hard look at the Christensen Arms Mesa and the Bergara Ridge. Mesa you can get in the $1100-1200 range and then spend $800-900 on a scope/rings. The Ridge you can get for about $750 and have tons of money leftover for a nice scope/ring setup.

I don't have one, but I think you're getting some additional upgrades beyond a basic Howa with the stock, Cerakote finish, muzzle brake and threaded barrel. FWIW, I picked up a 6.5 PRC rifle this year and love it.
The HS Precision stock is a $400 upgrade on a $500 action/barrel + the other things mentioned above.

I have a CA Mesa in 6.5 Creed, and it is alot of rifle for the money. Cerakoted, Triggertech Trigger, a great stock all in a rifle that is just under 8lbs scoped and loaded. With the brake that is included it feels like shooting a .223. The biggest drawback vs some other options, is not having a 3-pos safety.

Combine it with a VX-5 or Nightforce SHV and you should be real close to your budget.

My wife just bought a Kimber 84 and it shoots really well. Once I get its permanent scope mounted and dialed in, I plan on writing up a review. If I were in the market for a creed, and I wasn't left handed, it would come down to the Kimber or Bergara. Both are around $800-$900 so that leaves you with enough for good scope options.

An elk hunt is just a dream right now and would like to get another rifle in the near future. I think I am looking for my every year whitetail/mule deer hunting rig. This is my first rifle purchase. I've bow hunted all my life but just got into rifle hunting about 5 years ago. I've been using friends' rifles for the first few years and now that it has been a few years and I am going to rifle hunt for the rest of my life, I can't really justify not owning my own!

I mainly whitetail hunt. Last year I used a Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 to kill 3 bucks. A rifle with a 20" barrel is very handy and I have found all of mine to be very accurate.

All mine have Leupold VX3i scopes. 2 of them are 3.5-10x40 and one is 4.5-14x40. All of them are setting in Talley lightweight rings/bases.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back