6.5 cm hate?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
I was making fun of Vikings Guy (L 24-10:D) for his pretentiousness.....

Been called a lot of things before but not that one, glad to see some variety in the name calling. As for mocking a Vikings loss, 50 years of futile fanhood gives one thick skin. I still think the BF comment was bush-league, poke fun as you wish onpoint.

Mine only grip with people hatting or loving the Creedmoor is people who spel it 'Creedmore.' What's next, speling the RL 15, 16, 17, etc. powders 'Reloader?'

My problem with 6.5 Creedmoor is that people think it could possibly be any other caliber than .44 or .45. They weren't.

But who really cares?

Been called a lot of things before but not that one, glad to see some variety in the name calling. As for mocking a Vikings loss, 50 years of futile fanhood gives one thick skin. I still think the BF comment was bush-league, poke fun as you wish onpoint.

The Vikings are why I left MN:D
8 years old in 1970, don't remember it really, but watched 'em lose to the Chiefs.
Certified Purple People Eater fan by their next loss 1974. Then '75. Then '77.
Then Tommy Kramer.
Herschel Walker.
Ad nauseum.
Screw it, I moved to Montana. Now I usually hunt on Sundays. Not too concerned about Kap's shenanigans nor Da Vikes.
That Viking's fan thick skin helps on internet forums too:D

So is there anyone who dislikes 6.5 MB to the point they would not hunt with someone who carried one?

Asking for a friend

I hunted elk with a buddy who used one. I saw 2 elk killed with it. Although I think it's a little light for elk, there's no doubt that it will kill one. So, yes, I would hunt with a friend who carried one.

I will second the light for elk, no worries now. I’m shooting the most lethal, quickest killing, pure death ray caliber on the planet. In fact I just dry fired it and 3 elk fell over in Utah. True story!

Does said 6.5 MB owner carry around a milli vanilli greatest hits album or do the have a flat brim and drive a truck with Utah plates...

Lamb is a closet Milli Vanilli fan, but I don't think he has a 6.5 - yet

I have a confession to make, just picked up my first 6.5..deal I couldn’t resist.. something wrong with the cases though, they seem a little long and fat.. anyone know if a 140 vlds will hold together @ 3400 in a 1-8?

Many ethics issues arise when talk comes to "long" distance hunting. Just because you CAN kill an animal past your MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range) http://www.themeateater.com/hunt/bi...ank-range?mc_cid=57bc8823e4&mc_eid=2d2720bbb3 SHOULD you? Long distance hunters are nearly as lazy as road hunters in my book. What happened to closing the distance with a great stalk?

That being said, if you stay within a reasonable distance the 6.5 CM will do everything you need. I bought two for my kids since it has low recoil but effective terminal energy. I decided to give it a poke this season to see what I was handing them and I had a blast. I personally took an elk and one muley with it. One shot. Deadzo. My kids love it. They aren't recoil-shy from it. Would I give up my 30-06 for it? Nah. But I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. Past 400yds? Nope. But then again, I like the stalk and getting in tight is part of the game.

Fair chase anyone? Per BCC: "The Club finds that long-range shooting takes unfair advantage of the game animal, effectively eliminates the natural capacity of an animal to use its senses and instincts to detect danger, and demeans the hunter/prey relationship in a way that diminishes the importance and relevance of the animal and the hunt. The Club urges all hunters to think carefully of the consequences of long-range shooting, whether hunting with a rifle, bow, muzzleloader, crossbow, or handgun, and not confuse the purposes and intent of long-range shooting with fair chase hunting."

Something to chew on.

Last edited:
I like to give my buddy crap about his because he has to state how great the round is all I told him is it’s too light for elk. He did kill his first bull with it at200 yards this year which more power to him. I can’t imagine I’ll ever buy one I already have a .270 that my grandpa game me for my first deer hunt.

I have a confession to make, just picked up my first 6.5..deal I couldn’t resist.. something wrong with the cases though, they seem a little long and fat.. anyone know if a 140 vlds will hold together @ 3400 in a 1-8?

That's 6.5 RUM and Kirby Allen territory. What did you get? mtmuley

Many ethics issues arise when talk comes to "long" distance hunting. Just because you CAN kill an animal past your MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range) http://www.themeateater.com/hunt/bi...ank-range?mc_cid=57bc8823e4&mc_eid=2d2720bbb3 SHOULD you? Long distance hunters are nearly as lazy as road hunters in my book. What happened to closing the distance with a great stalk?

That being said, if you stay within a reasonable distance the 6.5 CM will do everything you need. I bought two for my kids since it has low recoil but effective terminal energy. I decided to give it a poke this season to see what I was handing them and I had a blast. I personally took an elk and one muley with it. One shot. Deadzo. My kids love it. They aren't recoil-shy from it. Would I give up my 30-06 for it? Nah. But I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. Past 400yds? Nope. But then again, I like the stalk and getting in tight is part of the game.

Fair chase anyone? Per BCC: "The Club finds that long-range shooting takes unfair advantage of the game animal, effectively eliminates the natural capacity of an animal to use its senses and instincts to detect danger, and demeans the hunter/prey relationship in a way that diminishes the importance and relevance of the animal and the hunt. The Club urges all hunters to think carefully of the consequences of long-range shooting, whether hunting with a rifle, bow, muzzleloader, crossbow, or handgun, and not confuse the purposes and intent of long-range shooting with fair chase hunting."

Something to chew on.
Is this the same BC that put their name on a long range reticle as being used by Leupold? And I presume receives compensation for doing so? ;)

Something to chew on.

I tend to agree with you. Being able to shoot long distance and doing it on purpose are two different things. I can shoot quite a ways, but only half a dozen times have shot stuff over 300 yards. There is a point where it becomes target shooting and not hunting. Different conversation.

On the line. 300000rpm is where issues start to be encountered. You’ll be doing 306000rpm. Those issues are exacerbated by long barrels, rough throats, and deep sharp rifling. Button rifled barrels, canted lands, and odd numbers of lands and groves are less likely to cause bullet blowups than normal groves in cut rifled barrels. As throats wear bullet blowups become more likely. I had no issues at 3400fps from a 1-8.5 twist, but that doesn’t help you much. I’ve been told that the match hybrids employ the nose thickness of the HVLDs and the bearing surface thickness of the TVLDs. I’m not certain about the validity of that statement, but the match Hybrids will stand up to that velocity. There are plenty of folks claiming to shoot elk with 215 Hybrids.

JLK is releasing a 147 VLD soon that could drop you below 3325fps. You could also load the 140 down to 3325fps or hope Berger comes through with the 155s they tested last year.

Last edited:
Back