6.5 cm hate?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
I haven't had a haircut since early March. I'm starting to worry that I'm going to throw all my .45-70s in the trash heap and run off with a 6.5 C. Does this happen? Am I at risk?
You'll be ok, my .45-70 never left when I got the 6.5, it provides a good balance I think.

It’s a easy question to answer , the 6.5 is a nice round perfect for deer size game. It’s well developed and available in every rifle it seems. Light recoil and accurate , if we all left it at that I don’t think any of us would give the round a second thought. It is what it is!

However there are shooters who didn’t leave it there , they turned it into a mythical magical round and gave it super powers. Example I received a call Saturday and was asked about precision rifles and shoot long range. Know this guy well I told him the 6.5 CM would be a good place to start , it’s both accurate and low recoil. Lots of rifles to choose from and out of the box accurate. It should be a good choice to shoot target out to 800 yards and beyond. He said that was the information he received at a gun store but he was told the CM was a 1600 yard round! Mythical

Read the data make up your mind if it’s for you and be happy. Just don’t tell us that it’s flat shooting at ranges many will never shoot or have the equipment to shoot those distances. There are flatter harder hitting rounds , there are rounds in the 6.5 CM arena that are just as good. There is a lot of myth in the 6.5 Creedmoor but there is some Mister too.

I can never get it to work with a ball cap, and it always either comes loose or is so tight it gives me a headache.

I just always run it down.

While it is fun to have a rifle cartridge that we can all heap hate on, I feel that there is a similar need in the shotgun world.

Therefore, to stand in for the 6.5 C in shotgunning, I hereby nominate the 3.5" 12 gauge cartridge as the gotta hate shotshell.

It will put a hole in your wallet faster than it grows hair on your chest.

Last edited:
While it is fun to have a rifle cartridge that we can all heap hate on, I feel that there is a similar need in the shotgun world.

Therefore, to stand in for the 6.5 C in shotgunning, I hereby nominate the 3.5" 12 gauge cartridge as the gotta hate shotshell.

It will put a whole in your wallet faster than it grows hair on your chest.
WHATTTTTTT NOOOO

I love 3.5 turkey loads, 3.5BB for waterfowl and 3.5 00 buck out of my mossberg 835

It’s a easy question to answer , the 6.5 is a nice round perfect for deer size game. It’s well developed and available in every rifle it seems. Light recoil and accurate , if we all left it at that I don’t think any of us would give the round a second thought. It is what it is!

However there are shooters who didn’t leave it there , they turned it into a mythical magical round and gave it super powers. Example I received a call Saturday and was asked about precision rifles and shoot long range. Know this guy well I told him the 6.5 CM would be a good place to start , it’s both accurate and low recoil. Lots of rifles to choose from and out of the box accurate. It should be a good choice to shoot target out to 800 yards and beyond. He said that was the information he received at a gun store but he was told the CM was a 1600 yard round! Mythical

Read the data make up your mind if it’s for you and be happy. Just don’t tell us that it’s flat shooting at ranges many will never shoot or have the equipment to shoot those distances. There are flatter harder hitting rounds , there are rounds in the 6.5 CM arena that are just as good. There is a lot of myth in the 6.5 Creedmoor but there is some Mister too.
Agreed. I'll probably never shoot mine beyond 300 yards.

It will put a whole in your wallet faster than it grows hair on your chest.
I’ll agree with this one. Seems most people who I know that shoot the 3.5’s would benefit from shooting a premium 3” rather than the cheapest 3.5” they can find. Less recoil, better patterns, closer in price.

Read this article about the .318 Westley Richards the other day and immediately thought of the parallels with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Its not that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a bad cartridge, its just that it shouldn't be used in hunting situations in which it was never intended...like elk past 300 yards.

Bit of a long read, sorry in advance.

"...the .318 quickly became immensely popular in Africa. The 250 grain soft nosed bullets proved extremely effective and penetrative on game, while the solids if properly placed could down an elephant with a brain shot. W. D. M. ('Karamojo') Bell, one of the greatest of the old ivory hunters, used the .318 extensively. Indeed, from my readings, it seems as though he used the .318 at least as much (if not more) than the Rigby 7mm/.275 that he is most famed for using. HOWEVER just because Bell shot thousands of elephant with the .318 (and calibres like it), and lived to die of old age, does NOT make the .318 an elephant gun! This was a partial explanation for the eventual downfall of the .318. It became very popular extremely quickly, and is certainly one of those well balanced cartridges that performs out of all proportion to its size and paper ballistics. It was so effective that hunters started to use it against large, thick-skinned, dangerous game animals for which it was never intended. Well placed it would do the trick, but it was found wanting when things went wrong and a charge had to be stopped. Westley Richards themselves would tell you that the .318 was not designed for such stunts; that is what they designed their .425 for, and they would happily sell you one for hunting the big stuff that bit back. Hunters still used their .318's for dangerous game, though, and continued to be knocked about accordingly at times. A certain backlash was inevitable, but the .318 was still so splendidly effective against soft- skinned game that the process was more of a placing of things into perspective. Good as the .318 was, it became recognised that it did in fact have limitations after all, and that one would be well advised to take at least a .375 against the more malevolent species." - Charlie Haley, AfricaHunting.com

Substitute ".318 Westley Richards" for "6.5 Creedmoor" and "elephant" for "elk" and its the same argument.

So when enough people lose enough animals shot with the 6.5 ManBun, the sun will set on this cartridges use on animals on which it was never intended....everything larger than whitetail deer. I could also point out that it was actually designed to punch holes in paper at long range out of an AR platform, but I'll give it a bit more credit than that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back