Caribou Gear Tarp

6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC Enough/Effective for Elk?

I've killed 8 elk with the 6.5 CM and PRC, 6 with the CM, had it longer. Pick your poison, both good.
Did you notice the extra FPS make much of a difference on animal impact?

For my antelope/deer gun, I am running a 260 AI with the Barnes 127LRX at 3100 fps.

On the animals I’ve shot with it, performance between that and the 140 accubonds at 2750 in the Creedmoor is quite a bit different. That faster Barnes liquified internals compared to just pushing a 1-1.5” hole thru them.

Did you notice the extra FPS make much of a difference on animal impact?

For my antelope/deer gun, I am running a 260 AI with the Barnes 127LRX at 3100 fps.

On the animals I’ve shot with it, performance between that and the 140 accubonds at 2750 in the Creedmoor is quite a bit different. That faster Barnes liquified internals compared to just pushing a 1-1.5” hole thru them.
My PRC is pushing 127 LRX at 3200 and I have been shooting 120 TTSX in the CM. Haven't noticed any real difference, longest shot has been 140 yds.

My PRC is pushing 127 LRX at 3200 and I have been shooting 120 TTSX in the CM. Haven't noticed any real difference, longest shot has been 140 yds.
At those distances it doesn’t really matter much. My closest was 225ish and out to just under 400. We started noticing in the CM with the accubonds we heard the hit but the elk showed no signs of a hit.

We were shooting cows and couldn’t do a second shot in fear of shooting a second elk. One shot, they scramble a bit, and wait a bit to see if we could identify which one it was.

That ultimately led me to going to a 7 mag with 150g TTSX. There was no doubt which one we shot after the switch. The 6.5 PRC wasn’t a thing yet which made me wonder if it would have the same difference.

Last edited:
At those distances it doesn’t really matter much. My closest was 225ish and out to just under 400. We started noticing in the CM with the accubonds we heard the hit but the elk showed no signs of a hit.

We were shooting cows and couldn’t do a second shot in fear of shooting a second elk. One shot, they scramble a bit, and wait a bit to see if we could identify which one it was.

That ultimately led me to going to a 7 mag with 150g TTSX. There was no doubt which one we shot after the switch. The 6.5 PRC wasn’t a thing yet which maked me wonder if it would have the same difference.
That happened with one of the elk I killed with the PRC. Two of us had cow tags, we got on to about a dozen elk in the burned timber, had a bull bust us, so we had to make it happen, thought we were both on elk when I shot. All the elk took off including many more we didn't see, had an idea which cow I shot, but didn't shoot again, she fell over dead in about 50 yards, yep that's the one. Partner didn't get his cow that morning but did 2 days later.

The advice received by the OP is disappointing.
He clearly has an opportunity, nay an obligation to purchase another rifle.
Seize the moment and start shopping!
Couldn't agree more. Really bad advice on this thread. Obviously a bunch of steroid abusing meatheads here pushing magnum cartridges.

OP - go get yourself a 6mm Creeedmoor and kill Elk out past 800yds. These 6.5mm bullets are simply too devastating. I've got a 22 Creedmoor build in the works, might not even need a rangefinder anymore!

I shot my cow this year with a 6.5 PRC. Snuck into 80 yards and ear holed her in her bed. Honestly could have made that shot with any rifle I own, from .223 to .45-70, but based on that case study of 1 I’m a firm believer that the 6.5 PRC is head and shoulders superior to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Bullet construction and placement matters more than headstamp.

Absolutely not. Those are too small for elk and some other big game. You’ll need at least a 7mm, and preferably a .300 in the RUM or win mag. Better yet a .338 Lapua or Edge. Animals just die of fright when they hear the concussion of those types of rifles.

Sell both and get one cooler rifle in the prc?
Depending on the state you live in should sell both. Tell the doctor you bought a large caliber 30 from a guy online and hurt your shoulder. Take your money and go buy a crossbow

I won a 6.5 prc last spring. Got it setup then went to shooting it. Liked it so much, I never took my 300win mag out of the safe this year.
I shot several coyotes, 4 deer, and yes, a bull elk at 175 yards. It was plenty of gun. 140gr bullets.
Killed elk with above mentioned 300 with 180gr bullets, 7mm08 with 140gr, 308 with 150gr, 270 with 130s, and 25-06with 100gr(over 300yds too). I had no doubts the ballistics on the prc were more than adequate.
The prc is so much easier too shoot a lot, I feel like it will make most people a better shot with that caliber than some howitzer. An elk shot in the ass with a 300 will die way slower than one pumped in the chest with a 6.5
But, like Ismith hinted, stay away from the crredmoor……

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back