6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC Enough/Effective for Elk?

Yes. On ranges that exceed most peoples capabilities. Be mindful of bullet selection (construction) and performance at impact velocity. I.e. dont use a tough copper bullet at extended range.

At the end of the day, youre trying to pop 2 glorified balloons and/or a a flesh blood pump. If youre in doubt - check out the rokslide forum below with moose, elk, etc dead from 223

Don't fall victim to a dumbarse tellling you a wallet eater, shoulder smasher, ear thrasher 300 fuddlore magnum to kill elk at typical hunting ranges. You dont. People dont like 6.5 creedmoor because they want to be counter culture and its popular....
I swear you posted you weren't on Rokslide. But, you link threads? Just find it by accident? mtmuley

Since both cartridges were developed by hornady id recommend checking out their podcast on youtube about each of these rounds. Dave emery, creator of the 6.5 CM, is also on some of those podcasts. I dont even shoot hornady ammo but really enjoy their podcasts.

killed two bulls at over 300yds with the 6.5 creed this Fall, mine and my buddies bull both with the same rifle. I liked it so much I went and bought one in the Sako S20. Both were dead after the initial shot, one flipping over on impact.
Thank you for the info! What brand of ammo were you using? What grain? Thanks!

Just curious why you prefer the 6.5 Creed over your 6.5 PRC? Either can do well, but I'd lean towards the PRC. I don't own either rifle, but have been around both quite a bit and seen both of them do the job.
Just like the actual rifle better that is in 6.5 CM then the other in 6.5 prc. Understood, thank you for the info!

Yes. On ranges that exceed most peoples capabilities. Be mindful of bullet selection (construction) and performance at impact velocity. I.e. dont use a tough copper bullet at extended range.

At the end of the day, youre trying to pop 2 glorified balloons and/or a a flesh blood pump. If youre in doubt - check out the rokslide forum below with moose, elk, etc dead from 223

Don't fall victim to a dumbarse tellling you a wallet eater, shoulder smasher, ear thrasher 300 fuddlore magnum to kill elk at typical hunting ranges. You dont. People dont like 6.5 creedmoor because they want to be counter culture and its popular....
Understood! Thank you for the info!!

I’ve been part of 4 elk killed with a 140g Accubond from a 6.5 Creedmoor. All died, just not as nicely as I would have liked.

It’s not that it didn’t work, I just felt on each one that there was a better choice. I ditched it for something bigger. I think the PRC has enough extra to likely of resolved my concerns.
Lots of new headstamps because of folks like this. Just know its for your feelings and it really doesnt make that much difference - especially inside 400.

Ive killed 3 elk, 5 deer, 1 blackbear, 3 antelope with primarily 308. The deer that went the furthest? 300 prc with a 4" exit.
Im cheap it’s that savage with the carbon on it and the dreaded vortex. It shoots the 156 Berger at 2950 and in the .3s
Savages just shoot. You basically never hear of anyone having one that doesnt.

Lots of new headstamps because of folks like this. Just know its for your feelings and it really doesnt make that much difference - especially inside 400.
Discounting my experiences by using your expedience with a different caliber makes your Opinion worth something??

I promised this year I wasn’t gonna call anyone an idiot but this one tested me.

Discounting my experiences by using your expedience with a different caliber makes your Opinion worth something??

I promised this year I wasn’t gonna call anyone an idiot but this one tested me.
Wow. Big test. Dont take the cpa if thats a "test"

You know what the difference between a 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 prc is? About 200 yards of distance.

Theres plenty of evidence of what im saying on the rokslide post. Theres plenty of evidence on long range hunting forum. All over the internet really.

Bullets>>>headstamp

Wow. Big test. Dont take the cpa if thats a "test"

You know what the difference between a 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 prc is? About 200 yards of distance.

Theres plenty of evidence of what im saying on the rokslide post. Theres plenty of evidence on long range hunting forum. All over the internet really.

Bullets>>>headstamp
Ok, you win. Whatever did I do before you joined. Now that I know I’m wrong on the Internet, from solely based on your opinion of Internet forums, I can finally die in peace.

Ok, you win. Whatever did I do before you joined. Now that I know I’m wrong on the Internet, from solely based on your opinion of Internet forums, I can finally die in peace.
Sounds boring stop trying to take fun out of the internet

Nope not effective at all. 6.5 prc 156. First one had a heart attack, Second one was a prolly a former smoker, made all that blood come out like that.

IMG_0100.jpegIMG_0438.jpeg

Last edited:
I tend to shoot animals between 540-580 for some reason only one to take a step as that rag head and it was a step. I could have put a second in him but he was tipping so I let him

Attachments

• IMG_4066.jpeg
    IMG_4066.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1690.jpeg
    IMG_1690.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2874.jpeg
    IMG_2874.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 23
I retract any previous comments about purchasing another gun. If your wifes asking - your current arsenal will bounce off your intended target.

Just go buy a modern magnum caliber 30 nosler, 300 prc, 300 norma, 338 lapua in lieu of the out of date 7mm rem :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back