5 Year Plan/ Points Strategy for Beginner

Elite7

Hey Guys!

So last year was my first year hunting out west and already have a hunt plans/ ideas for the next couple years lined up. I was hoping to get some input on what you all think would be my best stategy as I gain points (Currently only have Wyoming Antelope Points). I am still fairly young and am not able to afford to apply to all states out west. My wife and I have looked at each state and decided on the following states to build points/ apply for on a yearly basis:

Colorado - Mule Deer and Elk (Build Points)
Wyoming - Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk (Build Points)
New Mexico - Antelope, Mule Deer, and Elk

Would any of you recommend another state that wouldnt be overly expensive to build points for future hunts? I have been looking at possibly adding Utah to this list, but I cant decide. My breif 5 year plan goes as follows:

2017 - Montana Mule Deer
2018 - Colorado Elk OTC & Wyoming Antelope
2019 - Colorado Elk OTC or Montana Elk/ Deer Combo
2020 - Wyoming General Elk Tag
2021 - Wyoming General Elk Tag

My struggle is when I should be looking to dump my points or how high I should allow them to get before dumping them. I have no interest in trophy quality units and building the 15 - 20 points. My hopes would be that one of us will hunt one species each year. If we have the oppurtunity to have two hunting trips, we would make an extended vacation or go hunt a OTC unit in one state. Do you guys see a problem with burning points once they get in the 4-6 range in these states?

Thanks!

Colorado - Not much benefit to building more than 3-4 points for deer or elk.
Wyoming - Good value
New Mexico - No point system, and 6% max to unguided non-residents made me stop applying

If I were to add something to that list, I would add AZ deer and elk. There are really good Coues deer and late elk hunts available for only a handful of point to NR. The cost of the license to build points is a bit steep, however.

I'd consider bumping the Wyoming General elk to 2019 as you likely won't be able to draw the general tag two years in a row, even in the special draw, come 2021. Other than that, it looks like you've got yourself a fun 5 years to look forward to!

I agree with Oak's assessment.

There is a podcast that is being released over the weekend that will go a long ways to answering some of these questions. We discuss how to hunt elk every year, yet have a longer-term strategy incorporated as part of the short-term strategy. We use the example of someone who has a $1,000 tag budget each year and how they can leverage that to hunt elk every season and still work toward some higher demand hunts in the future.

Hey Guys!

So last year was my first year hunting out west and already have a hunt plans/ ideas for the next couple years lined up. I was hoping to get some input on what you all think would be my best stategy as I gain points (Currently only have Wyoming Antelope Points). I am still fairly young and am not able to afford to apply to all states out west. My wife and I have looked at each state and decided on the following states to build points/ apply for on a yearly basis:

Colorado - Mule Deer and Elk (Build Points)
Wyoming - Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk (Build Points)
New Mexico - Antelope, Mule Deer, and Elk

Would any of you recommend another state that wouldnt be overly expensive to build points for future hunts? I have been looking at possibly adding Utah to this list, but I cant decide. My breif 5 year plan goes as follows:

2017 - Montana Mule Deer
2018 - Colorado Elk OTC & Wyoming Antelope
2019 - Colorado Elk OTC or Montana Elk/ Deer Combo
2020 - Wyoming General Elk Tag
2021 - Wyoming General Elk Tag

My struggle is when I should be looking to dump my points or how high I should allow them to get before dumping them. I have no interest in trophy quality units and building the 15 - 20 points. My hopes would be that one of us will hunt one species each year. If we have the oppurtunity to have two hunting trips, we would make an extended vacation or go hunt a OTC unit in one state. Do you guys see a problem with burning points once they get in the 4-6 range in these states?

Thanks!

Colorado is a good state to build points. It does cost you some money upfront to build points.

Wyoming is a state that you can buy points later in the year, which can save you some money in years you do not want to hunt.

New Mexico does not do a points system and in many cases it is easier to save up the money and buy a landowner tag, because of the NR tag allocation.

I would substitute Arizona for New Mexico if you are set on building points, because Coues deer tags are easy to obtain on your way to a late season elk tag.

Idaho is another OTC option, which would be less money than a Montana Deer/Elk combo.

Oak has good advise.

Also, If you are into archery, I would suggest Nevada for deer. You can draw some really fun hunts in some beautiful country with only a couple points.

South Dakota is only $10 for a rifle deer point and most tags are an ANY tag so you can hunt whitetail or mule deer.

Montana antelope will run you about $225 if you draw but is refunded if unsuccessful minus a small permit or app fee.

Guys,

I appreciate the responses! My plan for the Wyoming General tag was that only one of us would apply for a high percentage tag draw each year. I don't need to be the hunter to get enjoyment out of the trips, so that would help keep us in fair points for each species. I have included New Mexico to apply for because they refund most of the costs and its a fairly cheap chance at a great tag. Would you think Arizona would be better for my system than Utah if adding a state? I have seen those darn late season Arizona hunts that Randy goes on and they sure look fun!

BigFIN,

I appreciate the feedback and will make sure I catch the podcast. It sounds like it is exactly what I am looking for!

Thanks!

My 5 year plan is to continue to point out that bonus/preference points are a Ponzi scheme.

My 5 year plan is to continue to point out that bonus/preference points are a Ponzi scheme.
My 5 year plan is to continue to fuel the point monster (aka Ponzi Scheme) in as many states as possible, it satisfies my degenerate gambling addiction :) And it's better odds than the lottery!!

My strategy is very similar to yours Elite7. Except that I have added AZ to the list. Last year was my groups first DIY elk hunt in CO OTC unit. We only plan to do one western hunt a year. Building points for elk and deer in CO and elk, pronghorn, and deer in WY. Points for everything in AZ. This is somewhat how I see my hunting for the next few years:

2017 WY MD
2018 WY Elk
2019 CO Elk
2020 CO MD
2021 WY Antelope
2022 WY Elk
2023 WY MD
2024 AZ Elk

Hell, who knows what will happen. Maybe something like that. At least the first few years. Also swinging for the fences in NM so maybe get a hunt in there.

brymoore
How's this...
2017 IDAHO DEER
2017 IDAHO DEER
2017 IDAHO ELK
2018 IDAHO DEER
2018 IDAHO DEER
2018 IDAHO ELK
2019 IDAHO DEER
2019 IDAHO DEER
2019 IDAHO ELK
2020 IDAHO DEER
2020 IDAHO DEER
2020 IDAHO ELK
2021 IDAHO DEER
2021 IDAHO DEER
2021 IDAHO ELK
2022 IDAHO DEER
2022 IDAHO DEER
2022 IDAHO ELK
2023 IDAHO DEER
2023 IDAHO DEER
2023 IDAHO ELK
2024 IDAHO DEER
2024 IDAHO DEER
2024 IDAHO ELK
2025 IDAHO DEER
2025 IDAHO DEER
2025 IDAHO ELK
2026 IDAHO DEER
2026 IDAHO DEER
2026 IDAHO ELK
2027 IDAHO DEER
2027 IDAHO DEER
2027 IDAHO ELK
2028 Still up in the air...

When I'm not donating money to my favorite outta state hunts I might even hunt in my home state of WA or try and burn some points in CO, WY or OR :)
As for a serious 5 year plan I say find an OTC hunt or two in one or two states and learn them well, the first year might not be the best but the second year will be great and the third will absolutely rock!!

Colorado - Not much benefit to building more than 3-4 points for deer or elk.
Wyoming - Good value
New Mexico - No point system, and 6% max to unguided non-residents made me stop applying

If I were to add something to that list, I would add AZ deer and elk. There are really good Coues deer and late elk hunts available for only a handful of point to NR. The cost of the license to build points is a bit steep, however.
This! If the cost of the license in AZ spooks you, consider substituting Utah.

brymoore
How's this...
2017 IDAHO DEER
2017 IDAHO DEER
2017 IDAHO ELK
2018 IDAHO DEER
2018 IDAHO DEER
2018 IDAHO ELK
2019 IDAHO DEER
2019 IDAHO DEER
2019 IDAHO ELK
2020 IDAHO DEER
2020 IDAHO DEER
2020 IDAHO ELK
2021 IDAHO DEER
2021 IDAHO DEER
2021 IDAHO ELK
2022 IDAHO DEER
2022 IDAHO DEER
2022 IDAHO ELK
2023 IDAHO DEER
2023 IDAHO DEER
2023 IDAHO ELK
2024 IDAHO DEER
2024 IDAHO DEER
2024 IDAHO ELK
2025 IDAHO DEER
2025 IDAHO DEER
2025 IDAHO ELK
2026 IDAHO DEER
2026 IDAHO DEER
2026 IDAHO ELK
2027 IDAHO DEER
2027 IDAHO DEER
2027 IDAHO ELK

lol!

brymoore
How's this...
2017 IDAHO DEER
2017 IDAHO DEER
2017 IDAHO ELK
2018 IDAHO DEER
2018 IDAHO DEER
2018 IDAHO ELK
2019 IDAHO DEER
2019 IDAHO DEER
2019 IDAHO ELK
2020 IDAHO DEER
2020 IDAHO DEER
2020 IDAHO ELK
2021 IDAHO DEER
2021 IDAHO DEER
2021 IDAHO ELK
2022 IDAHO DEER
2022 IDAHO DEER
2022 IDAHO ELK
2023 IDAHO DEER
2023 IDAHO DEER
2023 IDAHO ELK
2024 IDAHO DEER
2024 IDAHO DEER
2024 IDAHO ELK
2025 IDAHO DEER
2025 IDAHO DEER
2025 IDAHO ELK
2026 IDAHO DEER
2026 IDAHO DEER
2026 IDAHO ELK
2027 IDAHO DEER
2027 IDAHO DEER
2027 IDAHO ELK

Idaho OTC tags NRs can buy without preference points! Actually, you can buy two elk tags if you wish.

Perfect! It baffles me that some who are not currently encumbered with a points scheme actually wish such upon themselves.

Perfect! It baffles me that some who are not currently encumbered with a points scheme actually wish such upon themselves.
a. Some of us don't live in Colorado, where the elk number in the bazillions and the deer hunting is ok ;)
b. The encumbered are many
b1. There is probably a part of us that takes comfort that we are donating money to game management in several states by donating to the ponzi scheme, whether it's actually true or not

**Man I can't wait until I'm rid of these points and I can just be a 1 or 2 point guy and/or OTC dude

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back