5 Year Plan/ Points Strategy for Beginner

a. Some of us don't live in Colorado, where the elk number in the bazillions and the deer hunting is ok ;)
b. The encumbered are many
b1. There is probably a part of us that takes comfort that we are donating money to game management in several states by donating to the ponzi scheme, whether it's actually true or not

**Man I can't wait until I'm rid of these points and I can just be a 1 or 2 point guy and/or OTC dude

I do realize the one benefit to PPS (Points Ponzi Schemes) is the topic of this post: planning. It does make it easier to know when you are going to draw an out of state license.

I don’t know if I have the for thought to set up a 5 year plan. My strategy for the next few years looks something like this:

2017- Hunt-Wyoming Mule Deer and/or Cow Elk

Apply for Aoudad in New Mexico and Texas

Points- Wyoming Elk, Antelope

Colorado Elk, Antelope

Arizona Elk, Antelope

Kansas-Deer

2018-Hunt-Wyoming Deer and/or Cow Elk

Arizona Late Seaon OTC Archery Deer

Colorado Elk, Antelope

Arizona Elk, Antelope

Kansas-Deer

2019-Hunt-Wyoming General Elk Tag

Points- Wyoming Antelope

Colorado Elk, Antelope

Arizona Elk, Antelope

Kansas-Deer

If all goes well, I plan to be semi-retired by 2021 so, I want to have some points built up by then. Plus, as my boys get older, I’ll have to start working them into my hunts. I am also going to talk to my wife about the hunts she would like to do and start getting her some points built up. I am not a trophy hunter by any means so, I don’t see any need to accumulate a large number of points for any species in any state. I just want to hunt as much as possible and make memories with my family. My dream is a 2 month long western safari traveling from state to state hunting antelope, elk, deer, bears, and birds!

I am currently looking into Arizona's drawing procedures. Am I understanding this correctly? If i were to apply for Elk and Deer you would need to spend the following each year:

$160.00 Hunting License
$13.00 Application Fee for Elk
13.00 Apllication Fee for Deer

I don’t know if I have the for thought to set up a 5 year plan. My strategy for the next few years looks something like this:

2017- Hunt-Wyoming Mule Deer and/or Cow Elk

Colorado Elk, Antelope

Arizona Elk, Antelope

Kansas-Deer

2018-Hunt-Wyoming Deer and/or Cow Elk

Colorado Elk, Antelope

Arizona Elk, Antelope

Kansas-Deer

2019-Hunt-Wyoming General Elk Tag

Points- Wyoming Antelope

Colorado Elk, Antelope

Arizona Elk, Antelope

Kansas-Deer

If all goes well, I plan to be semi-retired by 2021 so, I want to have some points built up by then. Plus, as my boys get older, I’ll have to start working them into my hunts. I am also going to talk to my wife about the hunts she would like to do and start getting her some points built up. I am not a trophy hunter by any means so, I don’t see any need to accumulate a large number of points for any species in any state. I just want to hunt as much as possible and make memories with my family. My dream is a 2 month long western safari traveling from state to state hunting antelope, elk, deer, bears, and birds!

Why no CO Deer?

I am currently looking into Arizona's drawing procedures. Am I understanding this correctly? If i were to apply for Elk and Deer you would need to spend the following each year:

$160.00 Hunting License
$13.00 Application Fee for Elk
13.00 Apllication Fee for Deer

Yes, and for $13 you might as well throw your name in the hat for sheep and antelope....since you have already bought the license.

Thanks! That's a good way to sucker someone into buying more than needed

Before you can evaluate your strategy, you have to be clear of what your goals are. Another consideration is the drive, your strategy regardless of goals will likely look different if you live on the east coast vs Oregon.

I'm in a fairly similar situation, young, about to be married balancing student loans/vacation etc. My five year plan is probably a little different, but maybe not. My goals are to hunt hunt elk, deer and antelope every year out of state (2x a year starting 2018) plus my home state of CA for 2 deer and to give myself multiple chances at shooting a bull over 360" in my lifetime. I try to build points when practical, but throw my name in as many hats as I can to swing for some fences and fill in gaps with otc tags. Found a good spot in CO, I have family in ID, etc. My total cost of applications (deer, elk, antelope in NV, AZ, CO, NM, WY & ID) comes out at $841+- 25 for CC interest if I don't pay off upfront states every billing cycle. Minimum cost of a bull tag, buck tag, pair of antelope tags puts me out another 787. Pretty reasonable for now but will grow some if I draw a late rifle tag in AZ, buy antelope buck tags, but will shrink if I drop applying in ID or something similar if I need to wait or burn points based on calendar scheduling. Good Luck whatever route you take and enjoy!

Looks like a great plan Elite7!

I'm collecting elk & pronghorn points in WY and deer & elk points in CO. Should give me enough points to draw every year for the next five+ years if I get myself over to USA.

Last edited:
My 5 year plan changes every year....

This is very true. Last year I was planning on hunting GS deer in Utah with a buddy and we didn't draw , I was fortunate to draw an LE elk tag though in Utah which was unexpected with only 6 points.

My five year plan is simple until I draw or don't draw tags.

Right now it sits at

2017 Wy - deer, elk, pronghorn and Utah GS deer

2018 Wy- deer, elk, pronghorn and Colorado 1st season elk

2019 Wy- deer, elk, pronghorn and Colorado deer

2020 Wy- deer, elk, pronghorn and Arizona coues

2021 Wy - deer, elk, pronghorn and South Dakota
Deer

During this 5 year period if I draw a Wyoming Big 4, Arizona elk, Nevada permit, or Utah LE/OIL it shakes things up. If I get a chance to hunt geese or bears in the spring one year, it will also shake things up.

In 2019 I get an extra week of vacation, so I may look at doing two NR hunts after that.

It is good to have a plan, but one must always have a contingency plan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back