5 points in WY, unit 32 first timer help?

MNpurple

Hi guys, just found the site because of Fresh Tracks showing up on Amazon Prime..wow, what great resource! Hope to be a contributor.

This flat lander from Minnesota is trying to plan a Wyoming antelope hunt for my father and I. We've each got 5 PP and he is ready to go this year, no more waiting. It'll probably be the only time I get him out there to do this, so I'm trying to plan the best hunt I can. Although a nice buck would be great, for this hunt..... a quality hunt, with plenty of public ground and good numbers of antelope trumps size, it just needs to be a good experience. I prefer a DIY hunt and we really have no interest in driving around, stepping out of the truck and shooting off the vehicle, we'd rather do a spot and stalk thing away from roads.

Based on last year's draw odds, I've narrowed units down to those we can draw with 4 or 5 points and then eliminated any units marked as "difficult public access" or those with huge numbers of tags. I've focused in on units 27, 32 and 69 and between the public land and the HMAs in unit 32, it really has my interest.

Anyone who has hunted 32 willing to offer any insight or thoughts? I've also noticed that many of you recommend waiting to go until after the first week as the pressure will really decrease. My only concern is that elk season in the units overlapping 32 begins on October 1, so we'd be going during opening week of elk. Is the habitat for each in this unit so different that there wont be elk hunter conflict?

Thanks for any help and glad to be part of the site,
Craig

32 is a fun tag with plenty of goats and good access. Wouldn't worry about running into elk hunters as they'll tend to be in different habitat than you will. Another good unit you may consider with 5 points is 73.

I don't know anything about 32, but I've hunted 27 and it's a good unit that you can draw with your 5 PPs with plenty of public land and terrain that is great for spot/stalk.

32 is a great unit. There are a lot of goats on public land in all the units you've mentioned. 32 has the best views though, IMO.

I hunted 32 two years ago and it was great. We got a prime camping spot on the river. There was plenty of access and we even had 1 person who lived there allow us access on his place where was saw a small herd every day. We didn't even get as far down south in the unit as we could have. I want to say we also paid like $35 a person for a for a trespass to some good land too. I only have 4 PP, but if I had 5 I would return to that unit.

I you can get 32 or 69 for that matter, do it. Stay at the cabins in Alcova. Fuel and food right there. You wont have trouble on the hunt finding good goats or with access. Bring a fishing pole and enjoy some of the great fishing opportunities right there where you will be. You will have more fun than a guy should, soak it up, once you have done it once you will want to hunt goats every year and will probably never save up 5 points again. I have been all over that area and hunt goats in Wyoming every year, PM if you have more questions or need more info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinerbt
Back