5 Deer Hunters Dead in Wisconsin....

JoseCuervo

Couldn't they have just posted in Sportsmen's Issues?

CNN) -- Sheriff's deputies were investigating the killings of five hunters Sunday in northwestern Wisconsin, apparently sparked by a hunting dispute that turned violent.

Three others were wounded, said Julie Veness, an emergency medical technician in Exeland, Wisconsin.

Saturday was the opening of the nine-day deer season, and the shooting appeared to stem from a dispute over land in the heavily wooded area, Veness said.

"Apparently, the person was asked to leave and get out of his deer stand, and he didn't take it very well and he fired away at them," she said.

A state police official said a man wanted in connection with the shootings has been arrested, but no details were immediately available. The Sawyer County Sheriff's Department, which is investigating the killings, had no comment.

Jennifer Greshowak, spokeswoman for Lakeview Medical Center in Rice Lake, said three wounded men from the same hunting party were brought to that facility after suffering gunshot wounds. One of the three was transferred to a hospital in nearby Marshfield, she said.

The other two -- identified by relatives as Denny Drew and Lauren Hasebeck -- were recovering from surgery at Lakeview. Drew was in serious condition, while Hesebeck was listed in fair condition, their families said in a statement issued Sunday night.

"Our families certainly appreciate the thoughts and prayers of this close-knit community, and encourage you to think and pray for the other families involved," the statement said.

Veness said the killings have shocked Exeland, a village of 219 people about 135 miles northeast of Minneapolis.

"It just doesn't happen in this neck of the woods," she said. "We don't expect any of this to happen."

I've heard a bizarre story like this. A young man went berzerk in deer camp, he was shooting people and wouldn't quit. They realized they had to shoot him, or they would all be mamed or dead. Two badly maimed guys walked out and brought help back for the wounded that couldn't walk, then were taken to the hospital. Pretty crazy stuff.

This was on the news (local) tonight. You can bet it will be national Monday. The idiot was useing a SKS, so you can gess who will be screaming for more gun control.
The story I herd said it was an argument over a tree stand.
I wonder if Wisconsin has the death penalty ?
Best wishes for the wonded and sympathies for the familys.

Instead of the democrats whining about gun control they should start looking at Hmong immigration control. This is the second shooting in 3 years involving a Hmong hunting where he was not supposed to be. 2 years ago in my area a hmong is still on the loose after shooting a property owner in the back and taking his rifle.
Here is the story,BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - A deer hunter shot and killed five people and wounded three others in northwestern Wisconsin following a dispute about a tree stand during the hunt's opening weekend, authorities said.

The 36-year-old alleged gunman was arrested Sunday afternoon, Sawyer County sheriff's officials said. Jake Hodgkinson, a deputy at the county jail, identified the suspect as Chai Vang but would give no additional details.

Paul Schnell, a spokesman for the St. Paul, Minn., police department, said the man was from St. Paul.

The incident began when two hunters were returning to their rural cabin on private land in Sawyer County when they saw the suspect in one of their hunting platforms in a tree, County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.

It's not known who shot first, Zeigle said.

Both hunters were wounded and one of them radioed to the cabin a quarter mile away. Other hunters responded and were shot. About 20 shots were fired, but it's unclear who shot them, he said.

The dead included a a teenage boy and a woman, Zeigle said. A father and son were among them, he said. Some of the victims were shot more than once.

All five, from the Rice Lake area, were dead when officers arrived to the area in southwestern Sawyer County, he said. Authorities found two bodies near each other and the others were scattered over 100 yards.

"It's absolutely nuts. Why? Over sitting in a tree stand?" asked Zeigle.

Zeigle said the suspect was "chasing after them and killing them," with a SKS 7.62 mm semiautomatic rifle, a common hunting weapon. Wisconsin's statewide deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Two young people who stayed in the cabin emerged safely after the shootings.

The suspect, who did not have a compass, got lost in the woods and two hunters, not knowing about the shootings, helped him find his way out, Zeigle said. When he emerged, a Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back, given to police by a victim, Zeigle said.

The man was out of bullets and was arrested, Zeigle said.

One of the injured hunters was in critical condition at St. Joseph's Hospital. Another was listed in serious condition and the third was in fair condition, both at Lakeview Medical Center.

Hunter Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters. After they got word of the shooting, he and others went to round up the rest of the party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.

"When you're hunting you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you," he said. "You have no idea who is coming up to you."

It took about three hours to round up the other hunters, who were up to four miles apart, Wagner said. "We're all old, dyed-in-wool hunters," he said. "We wouldn't go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds. We're not forgetting it."

...and then there is crap statements like this on MSN News:

"the suspect was "chasing after them and killing them,” with a SKS 7.62 mm semiautomatic rifle, a common hunting weapon."

...just what everyone around my camp uses |oo

Schmalts, are you certain they were Hmong immigrants? Jake Hodgkinson doesn't sound Hmong to me, but I know they do commonly change their names. Not to be racist, but we've had our fair share of hunting/fishing incidents with Hmong immigrants over the last several years as well.

MarvB said:
...and then there is crap statements like this on MSN News:

"the suspect was "chasing after them and killing them,” with a SKS 7.62 mm semiautomatic rifle, a common hunting weapon."

...just what everyone around my camp uses |oo

Hey at least they aren't screaming about it being an assault weapon. It could be worse. It made me wonder if the author of the article is an idiot or trying to protect gun rights in his or her own way.

Wisconsin is one of the states that doesn't go back very far for hunter safety requirements.....I think it is only 1973 so this guy could just buy a license.....not that it would make very much difference.....the cultural difference is so radically different. Most all of them (about 180,000) came here after the Viet Nam War. We hired (recruited) hundreds to help out in Laos and cross border raids. They were a loyal people but we definitely abandoned them after the war (other than liberal immigration) Thailand ran most back to their own borders. They didn't have a written language then that I know of and our translators seemed to only use about 10 sounds or so communicating with them. We have a mess of them here in California and they go out in hordes during deer season and also not during deer season.....I suppose they do the same in Wisconsin and Minnesota, where the rest of them settled.....A tradegy just the same......their respect for human life is completely different from ours, dur to not being assimilated yet......if you see one in the woods....avoid contact!

I sure hate to sound ignorant but what the heck is a hmong? I have never heard the term before. I have heard of vietnamese, Thais, Cambodians, Italiains, Spaniards, Mexicans, even Canadians....but never heard of a hmong.

2fastnaz said:
Hey at least they aren't screaming about it being an assault weapon. It could be worse. It made me wonder if the author of the article is an idiot or trying to protect gun rights in his or her own way.

2fast, I actually think its worse that they aren't calling it an assult weapon. Just like when they tried to make the case that the -06 was an assult rifle not a hunting rifle...damn knife cuts both directions.

By calling it a hunting rifle the anti's will keep the spectrum even broader in what they want to ban...plus it throws the black eye to "hunters" once again rather than a title of some nutcase with an AK.

...either way, it sucks!

The rifle has nothing to do with it. I used a SKS a couple times when i was corn row and pine thicket hunting. I wanted iron sights and all my bolt has scopes. Had the gook used a BAR in 300win mag the wounded would probably be dead.
An SKS is a great little gun that has no other difference to it than say a remington 760, a semi auto shotgun, or a M1 garand as far asif it belongs in the deer woods. Its low cost makes it a great first gun and a even better gun for kids to target practice with because of the cheap ammo.

After reading Schmalts post I have to agree with him. It wasn't the rifle that did the deed. It was the asshole behind it. You shoot what you can aford to. When I was a kid a lot of guys used the Itailin and Japanese 6.5 because thats what they could afford. Little bolt actions with military sights, and stocks. Bought em for like $20 back then. I maybe wrong on the caliber, but it was 40 years ago, and my memory ain what it used to be. Thank goodness.

The point I'm trying to make, though poorly it seems, is that I would have rather the douchebag media call it anything but a common hunting rifle! . I don't think the dead had cared if they'd had been shot with a 50cal...dead is dead and I'm not talking about proper caliber or ballisitcs.
What I'm trying to say is that the meida has a field day with our sport everytime they can throw the "hunting rifle" causes death and destruction crap our way.

I don't think that you could put anything in this fools hands and make the broad, IMHO, jump to the opinion he is/was a hunter. No one I know that is a "hunter" has a mentality that would allow for the killing of five others like this guy...regardless of the make and model he was shooting and I just get a bad taste in my mouth when they refer to hunters or our "implements" (how's that for being PC?) in this manner. ...I surrender my soapbox!

Very sad day for the familys! Have some of you every just stopped to think that maybe there are some people out there that shouldn't have guns. :confused: I have never been for gun, but there are people out there that shouldn't have guns

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back