Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

410 elk are killing me,,,,,

300stw

been in 410 5 days lookin for cows, 1st year in the unit,,
buddy calls me little bit ago, hey theres 30 cows and 5 bulls down here on the hwy,, im way back in the mud,,,,

Attachments

• 20211114_153928.jpg
    20211114_153928.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 173
The “Breaks” are very dry and there is little vegetation with any nutritional value, so the elk are either on the hayfields along the river (private property) or their out on the “green” wheat fields. I was out looking for antelope, this weekend, and found elk with the antelope a long ways away from trees or cedars. They were located on private property that I’m not sure who or how to gain access to them. Everyone is pounding the Breaks along the river(s). The pressure has push many out into the prairie where very little hunters are hunting for elk. There are a fair number of bulls near the highway from Winnett to Jordon. But, there on private property. You would think the farmers/ranchers might not want the elk eating on that green wheat popping up.

Tough year for sure. Feed and water are limited in some places. and they are not in the normal places I see them. Hunting 411 for my sons bull tag.

My brother drew a 417 bull tag this year which is immediately adjacent to 410 and we also have a had a heckuva time finding elk. Almost no sign at all on public land we hunted, despite numerous miles on our boots. Good luck to you

Came home early because the wind was crazy. Headed back tomorrow for a week. Hopefully better elk hunting in the breaks.

Finally drew the 410-00 Elk B license (7 years), lol. Wondering if any that hunted last season would chime in on how the new north/south split went with the Elk B tags in 2021. Any noticeable hunting pressure difference between the north vs south side of Crooked Creek?

Finally drew the 410-00 Elk B license (7 years), lol. Wondering if any that hunted last season would chime in on how the new north/south split went with the Elk B tags in 2021. Any noticeable hunting pressure difference between the north vs south side of Crooked Creek?
I’d get a hold of some landowners sounds like the elk are eating them out of house and home. They are having a hard time getting by because of grossly over objective elk numbers.

It did seem like the majority of people I came across last year were south of crooked creek, But that makes since with the amount of tags they issued. Hard hunting last year with how dry everything was.

I’d get a hold of some landowners sounds like the elk are eating them out of house and home. They are having a hard time getting by because of grossly over objective elk numbers.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the biggest management issue in 410 is what you are stating above, however the majority of those landowners only want family, friends, or paying clients to hunt their property.

You’ve got a permit that’s good for the entire district. Pick a spot hunt no luck…your able to move around. There will be pressure all over cause everyone and their dog seem to think they need to take home the last 1.5 year old deer.

You’ve got a permit that’s good for the entire district. Pick a spot hunt no luck…your able to move around. There will be pressure all over cause everyone and their dog seem to think they need to take home the last 1.5 year old deer.
Haha, true. I have experienced the unit with a deer tag in my pocket so I know what your saying. Since, in theory, there will be 900 less cow tag hunters north of Crooked Creek, my plan is to be up there, but that could always change depending on moisture conditions.

I hunted that a few years back for a cow. The only elk we seen was a bull in a guys side by side, my brother got lucky the last cow tag he had there. We found a small group of cows over the first hill we looked and he got one.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back