Caribou Gear Tarp

4 years still waiting on my buck. How long is too long?

ducksnbucks

Sent my buck to a highly recommended taxidermist in early dec 2015... he originally gave me a completed by date of June 2016 but when I called him he said he was going to need a few more months due to being a one man side hustle shop. Fine, I was originally figuring 12-18 months for completion. It's now been four years and I've heard from him prob three times and each time its along the lines of "oh itll be done in a month or so" I'm about at the point of calling to say I'm coming to pick up the Cape regardless of stage of completion. Am I wrong for thinking this is a ridiculous amount of time? This is my first mount so maybe I'm overreacting but I'm getting worried I'll never get it back.

Yeah tex, that's what I'm worried about... it wasnt a buck that would likely be special to anyone but me, so I didnt think I'd have any issues like this. It's not like it was monster freak buck. Just a little scrub buck but special because of the location I harvested him in. The rack is narrow and short but he does have 12 points...

Guess I'll be making a call tomorrow to let him know I'll be by to pick it up if it's even still there.

Thank you all for confirming that I'm not over reacting at this wait period. We already paid for the mount but I'm sure I won't be getting any type of refund.

Welcome aboard.

Go get your deer back. 4 years is too long to go without suspicion!

You are more patient than I could have been. I'm going on 14 months on mine and am getting antsy. Time to get your deer back and take it elsewhere.

Don’t know that I’d call until I was sitting outside the shop. Express your concern, ask what stage it’s in then walk through the door. Gather your deer and tell him to F off. Might have the local law on speed dial, JIC.

4 years? Seriously?... my taxi of 20+ years suddenly ghosted me with a bear rug and after a year of random drops by his shop (at his house), was informed about his earthly departure.. one of the best dudes I've ever met. Good taxidermists are hard to find

I had a similar bad experience last year, but not nearly as long. I shot a Muley buck in velvet with my bow two falls ago, and I’m just a euro mount guy, but I wanted a taxidermist to preserve the velvet.

Found a guy in Missoula who seemed legit. Had a shop with lots of mounts and stuff he was working on. No red flags other than him being socially awkward, but hey maybe that’s why he likes to work with dead animals.

He gives me a six month timeline to clean the skull and preserve the velvet. Six months go by, nothing. I start just by emailing. Another month, and I call and leave a voicemail. Soon I start texting. No responses never answers. At about ten months, I went to his house/shop. Not home, wife answers the door. Doesn’t know what to tell me, and I didn’t want to make her uncomfortable by insisting to see the shop. After this visit he finally texts me. Makes BS excuses about the beetles taking a long time, and with this I knew something was off. This turned into more text excuses over the next few months.

Finally, 14 months later, he spills the beans. He ruined the skull early on when trying to boil it after something happened with his beetles. Couldn’t bring himself to tell me I guess? Put the antlers (with velvet thankfully) on an artificial skull, gave it to me with my deposit back.

Sorry for the long story. The moral is, GO TO HIS DAMN SHOP! And I’d be ready to be massively disappointed that something is wrong with your deer. That way if it’s not, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

I agree with just about everyone else. Might want to check with the game and fish agency. Some states have laws about taxidermy work being done in a reasonable time. Let us know how it turns out, I'm curious.

If it is paid in full and no work has been done you should be able to get your money AND your deer back. If not I'd call the law or lawyer. Guessing you aren't the only victim! As a business owner this crap really frosts me! Stand strong and don't back down. I like the other folks' suggestions to not call, just show up and demand to see your stuff and don't leave until you have a check and your deer. then RUN to the bank!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back