Caribou Gear

4 days in Denver

jt13

Looks like I'm flying into Denver, Co for 4 days over the last week in March, Tuesday-Friday. I've never been to Denver or anywhere in Colorado for that matter. What do you all recommend as the places to go and things to see and do? Places to drink and eat? Should I stay in Denver or set sail to somewhere else nearby?

I'll have a rental SUV with unlimited mileage and don't have to stay overnight anywhere in particular except Friday night. That night will be back in Downtown Denver for a bachelor party.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
downtown at night if your into the nightcrawler thing. one on every corner 🙄

I used to live there until 2004. It's a nightmare for traffic If you are smart, avoid driving during the rush hour.

As for food, you can find virtually any cuisine you are interested in for food and plenty of entertainment from bars, movies, zoo. The zoo is one of the biggest in the country now. Pro rodeo hall of fame is in Colorado Springs, worth the trip if it is not snowing.

Domo for really good, authentic Japanese food.

Then again, it's not that long of a drive to Wyoming.

yeah, just go stay in like morrison, or find an airbnb near palmer lake, evergreen, bailey, fort collins, laporte, loveland, berthoud, estes park...

denver is great for high blood pressure.

might still be able to see some whopper elk on the golf course in estes park in march

note on cinzettis, if you don't have self control when it comes to food avoid at all costs. it's awesome, but again, if you don't have self control you'll regret the whole thing

Unless you have no mountains where you live or they are otherwise a novelty, I'd just hang around town and do city stuff. Catch an NBA game, eat good food, try all the beer, etc. March isn't a particularly fun time to wander around in the woods unless you have something specific to do, IMO.

for something different to eat and with some history. go to the Buckhorn Excahnge or The Fort in Morrison. Always great for first timers, especially the Buckhorn, but you need reservations, very hard to get into.

Waterton Canyon southwest of town is a good place to find bighorns within petting, or at least spitting, distance. Easy walk up the access road that's closed to motor vehicles. They have been known to lick the salt off of bicycle handlebar grips. :rolleyes:

I'd look into renting snowmobiles in Leadville if weather and snow are permitting. Great time to see the rockies buried in snow. Perhaps stay in Silverthorne or Dillon area. Or even over in Eagle. Nice adventure and gets you out of Denver.

Go to breweries. Great divide. Epic. Go north to Avery and Odell. Eat at biker Jim's gourmet dogs in five points, it will be the best hotdog experience you've ever had. March could be cold and snowy or warm and pleasant, but I'd try to spend some time outside.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the suggestions. Keep the food, beer, cool, places, and other cool spots coming!

If I get out of town I really like the ideas of snowmobiling, looking for bighorn sheep, and giant golf course elk. Thinking what may end up happening is a bit of a short looping road trip out of Denver for a day or two.

Is it worthwhile to get to the Coors Brewery for a tour?
Where are the best places to see the previously mentioned giant tame elk?
I am always hearing about the traffic, is that restricted to just downtown Denver or is the whole metro area a mess?

is that restricted to just downtown Denver or is the whole metro area a mess?

The bad parts are limited to roughly just north of Fort Collins through Colorado Springs. Watch the weather and plan trips around that. Event though it's Colorado, everything gets 1000x worse with snow (heck, even rain).

Estes Park and RMNP are great for seeing giant tame elk. RMNP is worth a visit especially if you can go on a weekday.

Where are the best places to see the previously mentioned giant tame elk?

grab a big mac or pumpkin spice latte anywhere just east of downtown and this could be your show. this appears to be right in front of the estes park visitors center, right by a little 9 hole golf course where i seem to have seen them the most. granted this is a september vid. but i have a feeling they tend to hang out around town till the deep snows are gone, which could be into late june. however they might not have their antlers by late march?

Lonesome Buck Brewing Co in Greeley has great beer! The staff is a little yuppy for my liking, but the beer isnt'!

i work in greeley, got nothing against greeley at all, i actually like greeley a fair bit.

that said, if you've got 4 days in colorado don't use up time driving to greeley for any reason. for some people the state line between colorado and kansas is actually i25.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back