4 days in Denver

Head up to the mountains if you've never been to Colorado. Grand Lake, RMNP, Estes, Summit County, Winter Park, Leadville, Buena Vista are cool areas-you could probably still get in some spring skiing if you want. Lots of fun micro-breweries all over CO, the most popular big breweries-Coors and New Belgium-are more crowded tourist attractions now. The fishing in March can be great for pre-spawn rainbows depending on where you are. The wildlife dioramas at the Museum of Nature and Science in Denver are really cool, my kids love them.

Head up to the mountains if you've never been to Colorado. Grand Lake, RMNP, Estes, Summit County, Winter Park, Leadville, Buena Vista are cool areas-you could probably still get in some spring skiing if you want. Lots of fun micro-breweries all over CO, the most popular big breweries-Coors and New Belgium-are more crowded tourist attractions now. The fishing in March can be great for pre-spawn rainbows depending on where you are. The wildlife dioramas at the Museum of Nature and Science in Denver are really cool, my kids love them.

Youve got my attention...tell me more about these pre-spawn rainbows

Browns and brookies spawn in Fall , big ole hook nose browns right now, brookies are colorful.
Big snow coming tomorrow and for the weekend, snowing right now in Laramie, be careful where you venture in the mountains. Roads may require snow traction law, snow tires or 4x4.

As to not start another similar thread, I will keep this one going even though its a few months dead.

I will be flying out Tuesday, March 31st to Denver, where our rental chariot awaits (2006 Toyota Sienna AWD). From the airport we're heading to Estes Park for 2 days and returning to the greater Denver area late Thursday night through Sunday.

While in Estes were planning on heading into the RMNP and Lukethedog and wytex got me thinking about trying to catch some fish in that area. I am not a fly fisherman (I already have too many expensive hobbies) but I will have a couple of my cheap travel ultralight Ugly Stiks and reels in my luggage with some Pather Martin spinners. I'm not much of a trout fisherman (...at all) but I've managed decent fish on pronghorn hunts out of the Big Horn River. Never having set foot in the greater Estes Park area or Colorado at all for that matter, I am open to any suggestions or advice especially as it pertains to accessibility of streams, creeks, and rivers that time of year as well as general fish activity (understanding that it'll be spawning season for some species).

Back in Denver, I know we have a few things on the agenda as far as bars, restaurants, breweries, etc. that we are planning on checking out. Certainly open to advice or being pointed towards good beer, food, and fun. Also if there's any place you have been to that we should AVOID I would love to know. With only a few days in town, knowing where not to go can be pretty helpful info.

Thanks again!

Check the regs on spinners, some areas may be barbless , I pinch all mine down anyway.
I would second going by the brewery and trying to meet Sandbrew, great guy.

And it may well still be winter then, be prepared.

I would definitely consider having dinner or at least cocktails at the Buckhorn Exchange on tenth and Osage; “wild” game is on the menu and it is decent but the ambience in what I believe is Denver’s oldest existing liquor license and possibly even oldest restaurant among the many wild game mounts (some are claimed to be TR’s including a “red zebra” towards the back of the lower room) and even a TR hand-signed flag taken from his train That stopped outside makes it a veritable history museum. John Goff was the proprietor and friend of TR back in the day and he guided him for mountain lions In NW Colorado...I want to say he was the guide when TR stabbed the mountain lion in the heart while he was a sitting president...enjoy your trip!!

Fishing open water April 1 in RMNP sounds a bit ambitious considering trail ridge didn't open till June last year..... but surely you can find some fishing along the front range that time of year.
Definitely lots to do in and around Denver with good hikes, good food and good night life downtown

Avoid the street girls too LOL. Once they give, they never stop giving.

Seriously, fish the Green River. I used to catch some nice kokanee out of that river snagging them. Not far from Estes Park.

@Sandbrew is the brewmaster at Blue Moon Brewery in RiNo. Great beer and food, and they are excellent supporters of wild sheep. ;)
Enough said, we'll give them our business

Check the regs on spinners, some areas may be barbless , I pinch all mine down anyway.
I would second going by the brewery and trying to meet Sandbrew, great guy.

And it may well still be winter then, be prepared.
10-4. I've been through the regs a few times but I will double check on that one in particular. One special regulation I know of in that area is the fly fishing/artificial lures only stretch of the Big Thompson below the Estes Lake dam.

Fishing open water April 1 in RMNP sounds a bit ambitious considering trail ridge didn't open till June last year..... but surely you can find some fishing along the front range that time of year.
Definitely lots to do in and around Denver with good hikes, good food and good night life downtown
Either right in or around Estes or the creeks/rivers we'll pass along the way there and back are what I am hoping to try out. I figure everything with standing water will be frozen until June. Going to play it by ear, if it's decent weather and there's not several feet of snow on the ground we will wet some lines but if its horribly cold and/or snow covered we will have to spend our days driving around taking pictures of elk on the golf course, lol.

I would definitely consider having dinner or at least cocktails at the Buckhorn Exchange on tenth and Osage; “wild” game is on the menu and it is decent but the ambience in what I believe is Denver’s oldest existing liquor license and possibly even oldest restaurant among the many wild game mounts (some are claimed to be TR’s including a “red zebra” towards the back of the lower room) and even a TR hand-signed flag taken from his train That stopped outside makes it a veritable history museum. John Goff was the proprietor and friend of TR back in the day and he guided him for mountain lions In NW Colorado...I want to say he was the guide when TR stabbed the mountain lion in the heart while he was a sitting president...enjoy your trip!!
Yep, going on the list as well. Pulled up some pictures on Google and it looks like a very interesting place

if nothing else you could always toss a line in at the inlet to lake estes, just walk from the visitor center along the path. i've even just walked along the golf course and thrown a line in. should be a number of spots to pull off and fish the big thompson on the way up to estes, or if you have time you can fish downstream of button rock reservoir before heading up 36 if going that route. estes is just a fun, beautiful place to hang out, walk around, and have a meal

old major in the lower highlands has one of the better 45 day dry aged steaks i've ever eaten

like whiskey? stop in at stranahans

Last edited:
With all the snow lately be very careful in the mountains, avalanche danger is very high all over Colorado.

And I believe there is a kokanee snagging season and areas where it is legal.

Jt13- Just a heads up if you are still planing a trip to Colorado and Denver. Most of the City of Denver is under a mandatory stay at home order. Most bars and restaurants are closed to all but take-out orders. I am considered Essential Personal by Homeland Security for the production/transportation and distribution of beverages so I'm still working. I even have a semi-official looking document to show law enforcement that says I may travel to and from work even during a shut down. Weird times for sure...... Next time I'll buy you a fight of tasters.

Sandbrew

Back