38 days!!!!!!!

huntlife

Well, its 38 days until I move to Montana!!! Im starting to get excited!!! The biggest reason Im moving is the hunting and fishing! This might sound crazy but I havent found a house or a job yet, but Ive got some money saved so Im not stressing it yet. Man, I cant wait to get up there!!!!

Kudos and good luck! You're making the type of life decision I wish I could make...again! Pesky wife... ;)

Which town did you decide on?

Im really looking for something around Helena. Id be happy anywhere from Bozeman to Missoula, and from Great Falls to Dillon. Since I havent fornd a place yet, thats kinda flexable. My requirements are good places to hunt and good people around! Thats pretty much it. I dont thing Ill have any issues finding a job. Ive got a few skills I can rely on.

As for a house, Id love to find a place somewhere just outside town, with a shop building that I can use for my taxidermy shop.If I cant find that, Ill have to rent a building in town for a taxi shop. Im ok with that but if I can find a house with a shop building, I can save that expence.

I cant wait to do some hunting there. I asked about the OTC sheep tags in a few of the units there and Im dieing to get into a couple of those units and do some looking around. The info I got is some of those units can be kinda rough and remote. Ive been looking at some good GPS's and PLB's. Im sure not afraid of hard work. I know it will take me a while to get used to the altitude there so I plan to spend almost every free minute in the mountains getting used to it.

Man I wish I had the balls to do that kind of move. First time I took the wife out several years back she wanted me to go to the bank on a place south of Livingston right then looking back now I should have jumped all over it and made due one way or another. You will love it!

Congrats to you on your move.
Now that my wife and I are both retired it would be nice to live someplace that isn't the desert. Montana,Wyoming, maybe Idaho. The problem is that she doesn't like the cold.

Last edited:
From one Montanian to another... Welcome!

I hope you find a great place to settle in. There certainly are lots of great options for people to settle in MT. I lived in Bozeman most of my life, and really like the area. Now I'm in Missoula and enjoy it here as well. No offense against either area, but I found better hunting around Bozeman, but better fishing around Missoula. Not that either area is poor for either... I'm sure there are more areas to hunt around Missoula than I've found in the past 2 years...

Hope your search goes well.

I've lived in quite a few places in Western MT. I attended school at MSU in Bozangeles as well as UM in Missoula.Both are great towns. Elk Hunting is better around Bozeman in my opinion, but the opportunity for deer hunting around Missoula is better. The fishing is definitely better around Missoula, and there's no question the beer is better. The downside of living in either of those towns is the ridiculous cost of living. I live about 20 miles south of Helena now and though the fishing is limited to the Missouri and mountain lakes, I am within striking distance of all sorts of great hunting, and the living is more affordable.

No matter where you end up, as long as you are west of the Capital of West Dakota(Billings), you'll find things you love about the area you'll end up in. Actually anywhere in Montana that's the case-including the hinterlands of West Dakota.

Just saw that Montana is now at capacity. JK. Welcome to the state.

Im really looking for something around Helena. Id be happy anywhere from Bozeman to Missoula, and from Great Falls to Dillon. Since I havent fornd a place yet, thats kinda flexable. My requirements are good places to hunt and good people around! Thats pretty much it. I dont thing Ill have any issues finding a job. Ive got a few skills I can rely on.

As for a house, Id love to find a place somewhere just outside town, with a shop building that I can use for my taxidermy shop.If I cant find that, Ill have to rent a building in town for a taxi shop. Im ok with that but if I can find a house with a shop building, I can save that expence.

I cant wait to do some hunting there. I asked about the OTC sheep tags in a few of the units there and Im dieing to get into a couple of those units and do some looking around. The info I got is some of those units can be kinda rough and remote. Ive been looking at some good GPS's and PLB's. Im sure not afraid of hard work. I know it will take me a while to get used to the altitude there so I plan to spend almost every free minute in the mountains getting used to it.

Best of luck, I like your attitude.

Im really looking for something around Helena. Id be happy anywhere from Bozeman to Missoula, and from Great Falls to Dillon.

Helena would be a nice choice. The other options would turn you into a pretentious snob, dirty hippie, meth-using dirtball, or complete redneck. :)

Helena would be a nice choice. The other options would turn you into a pretentious snob, dirty hippie, meth-using dirtball, or complete redneck. :)

This made me laugh! Im deffinately not a snob. Not really a hippie. The only drug I do is caffeine and adrenaline!!! BUT, Im from Arkansas, so Ive been called a redneck a few times. I also get called a Hill-Billy also. Its all good. If I can find a decent place in Helena, that would be awesome!!!! Thats where Im really looking.

If it is mainly about the outdoors and you are comfortable about finding work or at least comfortable in making ends meat I would go for Dillon.

Welcome up here! Your making a good move. I'm originally from NE Oklahoma then moved to Colorado and less than two years ago we moved to northwestern Montana. The wife and kids love it, and seem to be classified as rednecks. I travel for work, but do expect lower paying jobs and increased competition for better jobs. Its a desirable place to live. There are lots of solid, individual thinking people up here, and you can find jobs if your willing to work, learn, and show up on time. Best of luck finding your area.

WINNETT!
Housing is cheep
Hunting and fishing is out standing.
The job market is a little tight.
:cool:

Welcome up here! Your making a good move. I'm originally from NE Oklahoma then moved to Colorado and less than two years ago we moved to northwestern Montana. The wife and kids love it, and seem to be classified as rednecks. I travel for work, but do expect lower paying jobs and increased competition for better jobs. Its a desirable place to live. There are lots of solid, individual thinking people up here, and you can find jobs if your willing to work, learn, and show up on time. Best of luck finding your area.

Where at in OK? Im from Fort Smith.

Do you prefer the Cooter bill or straight bill hat style? I'm guessing you're more of Cooter bill guy. Photo attached for reference.

latest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back