MT

There's no way I'd live in Hardin as some indicated. It's way worse than the flathead imo and I've spent a fair amount of time in both areas. Bridger would be fine. Ranchester would be even better if you could deal with the drive
I was looking it up. It's less miles from bridger, but faster from ranchester. Only by about 5 or 10 minutes, though. I appreciate the insight. Ive only driven through the Crow once.

I was looking it up. It's less miles from bridger, but faster from ranchester. Only by about 5 or 10 minutes, though. I appreciate the insight. Ive only driven through the Crow once.
Where is the job actually at?

That’s a haul to get in there every day probably better get a Tesla and keep it plugged in at work

Bridger to Fort Smith? You planning on driving gravel and the the backroad from Pryor to St. X? That would be a terrible commute in winter.

Bridger to Fort Smith? You planning on driving gravel and the the backroad from Pryor to St. X? That would be a terrible commute in winter.
Ive never taken the road. I didnt know it was gravel. Yeah, that sounds like a disaster. Seems like Ranchester is the best option, but thats still a hell of a drive. They might have govt employee housing in ft smith, but thay would feel like living on an island.

Ive never taken the road. I didnt know it was gravel. Yeah, that sounds like a disaster. Seems like Ranchester is the best option, but thats still a hell of a drive. They might have govt employee housing in ft smith, but thay would feel like living on an island.
It would be nice being older but for your kids would be horrible being in fort smith I’d assume I’d be a hour bus ride into Hardin for school

It would be nice being older but for your kids would be horrible being in fort smith I’d assume I’d be a hour bus ride into Hardin for school
There is a small school in ft smith they could go to, but i dont imagine it being a great time for them either way. Sucks, its a great paying job, and now I am seeing why.

Should drive from ranchester to ft smith on clear roads I bet it’s every bit of a hour and a half

Should drive from ranchester to ft smith on clear roads I bet it’s every bit of a hour and a half
I think you're right on the money. GPS has it at 1 hr 17 mins. Thats a long haul everyday and even longer on bad roads. Takes a lot of time away from family time. It gives me something to think about.

Im greatful for all of the information ive received, puts a lot into perspective. Thank you.

I appreciate the information. I use to work up by the reservation between Missoula and Polson back in the early 2000's. It wasnt a great place either.
I think a drive either way would be more beneficial to my family than living next to the rez.
Flathead is very tame in comparison.

That’s a haul to get in there every day probably better get a Tesla and keep it plugged in at work
and when it is 40 below like it was a few weeks ago, the battery is going to give out before you get there. Wonder what the charging options are in Lodge Grass

Moving back to Montana from Wyoming would be a huge downgrade hunting wise. With young kids, picking a town with a good school should be your #1 concern. Sounds like a great job opportunity with too many difficult obstacles to me. Good luck on whatever you decide!

How do tou feel about driving? I had friends I worked with who drive 2 hours each way so they could live where the kids would have a good life. Yes you loose some evening family time and sports viewing. But for some they lived it, didn't mind the miles on the car and hours on the road. Me, that much time in a car, everyday, would kill me

Your mileage may vary

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back