Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

.357 Mag bullet question

Muskeez

I am not reloading, but I figured you guys would be the best ones to ask... I just started shooting a handgun last year after using a friends Ruger GP100 to harvest a buck in Iowa. So, I bought the same gun. We can use handguns during out shotgun slug or late muzzleloader seasons in Iowa. So, my question is: Assuming that they all shoot decent groups out to 50 yards, which of these factory rounds do you feel would have the best killing potential on a whitetail deer. I would guess the more lead going down range the better, but would the flat nose lead bullet flatten out too soon, vs. the jacketed hollow point? I have a box of each and will be testing them at the range soon. As you can probably tell , I'm a greenhorn... so thanks for any advise!
1) Hornady FTX Polymer tip, 140 gr. / muzzle velocity 1440fps
2) Hornady XTP Jacketed hollow pt, 158 gr. / muzzle velocity 1250fps
3) Buffalo Bore Lead Flat nose, 180 gr. / muzzle velocity 1400 fps

Tested...

Thanks for the replies guys! The Fedral looks very similar to the XTP.

Summary: FTX had tightest groups, but all were acceptable and sufficient. The Buffalo Bore rounds really barked and had severe recoil. (which was kind of fun for a while :D )

I also taped together a stack of phonebooks, newpapers, magazines, with a hard cover Cabelas catalog in the middle. The FTX had the least penetration just under the cover of the Cabelas book. The XTP went about another inch, almost to the last pages of the book. The 180 grn. Flat nose BB went clean through the cabelas catalog leaving a BIG hole and the bullet was another 1.5"+ into the phone books.

The FTX and XTP mushroomed out really well with some nasty sharp edges. But there was no lead to be found, just the "Jacket". The BB stayed as one solid piece of lead and simply left a trail of lead dust wearing the bullet down to about 3/4 its original size.

I think the BB would be fun to shoot to see what it does on a deer, as I'm assuming it will break any bones and still leave an exit hole. I'm thinking the XTP would do more internal damage from the mushroomed out bullet tearing through organs on a clean double lung shot. I won't be taking any shots over 50 yards so I should be able to place the bullet where it needs to be ,... if I'm not shaking too much!

Pictures are bullets in order from Left to Right, and pic of exit out the back of the hard covered catalog.

Thoughts....?

Attachments

• IMG01087-20121126-0845.jpg
    IMG01087-20121126-0845.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG01088-20121126-0847.jpg
    IMG01088-20121126-0847.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
I would use the Buffalo bore stuff personally. That's the load I pack in my .357 all the time and always figured if would do the job well on big game animal if I ever felt the need.

I too have a GP100 6in stainless, and although i do reload, i have not been able to come close to the performance of the Buffalo Bore 180gn heavy magnum. That stuff just plain rocks :hump:
Alot of people say the 357 is a marginal hunting load, not with the Buffalo Bore ammo

No question, that all i will hunt with, 1.5 accuracy at
50-60yds on a rest as well

Just make sure you stay within that short range being mentioned as the .357 is not considered a good big game getter past 50-60 yards. Why aren't you guys using a 44 mag if handguns are legal during those seasons out there?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back