34” wide Colorado buck

My 12 year old son was fortunate enough to draw a Colorado second season buck tag in the “kids” draw this summer. The tag was in the unit next door to the unit where my brother in law, my Dad and I had drawn 2nd season buck tags.

My Brother in law and I got there Thursday evening before the season, had a day to scout on Friday, then we would have 5 days to have 5 days to hunt before my son and Dad showed up the following Wednesday. Saw lots of deer the first few days, just nothing I was interested in.

My son and Dad showed up Wednesday night, just a little bit ahead of the big snowstorm. Visibility was poor all day Thursday but we still managed to turn up a few deer. The high country had a big dump of snow Thursday and the bigger bucks started showing up in the sage/aspens.

Saturday morning my son passed a couple of respectable 3x3’s; I told him it was up to him, he wanted to hold out. We went to check an aspen covered hillside about noon and found a couple does and a nice 4 point buck.

The opposite slope from where the deer were was nothing but short sage, so we decided to try and sneak onto the opposite slope through a small fold in the hill. At 750 yards we ran out of cover, and the sage got real short. I set up the spotter one more time and saw there were deer all over the hill in the aspens, including what looked to be a very nice buck.

We dropped our packs and crawled 400 yards through the mud and snow to a boulder that could be used for cover. We took an hour to cover the open hill and we we muddy and tired but when we got to the boulder we would be within 400 yards of any deer on the hill.

After about 2 hours the deer began moving again, Tristan got set up prone and had a nice 4x4 at 400 yards. He was practicing dry firing on him when I spotted the big boy further down the hill. Tristan repositioned as a the buck began coming down the hill, the buck turned broadside at 323 yards and he let it fly. Buck went a few yards and stood there so he put another one in him, the deer went a few more yards and down he went.

There was no ground shrinkage when we got to him, later on the tape would show he was a little over 34” wide. He won’t score that great, but to say Tristan is on cloud 9 would be an understatement.View attachment 249241
View attachment 249238View attachment 249239

View attachment 249240

Both his shots were dead on, he shot quite a bit from prone over the summer getting ready for this hunt, it definitely paid off. Pic of the entrance wounds:

View attachment 249244
Outstanding!

He looks SOOO happy! HAHA! Boy I’d of cried like a 8 year old girl if that was my son!! Haha!! That’s AWESOME! you show that boy how many hunters tell him he’s done a fine job and all the congratulations this will generate. I’ll bet he will carry on the legacy for many generations to come! Very cool and thanks for sharing

Glad this thread popped up. I missed it when first posted. Congratulations on a great buck. I love the wide honest smile to go with this super wide buck. Hope he has many more to come.

My 12 year old son was fortunate enough to draw a Colorado second season buck tag in the “kids” draw this summer. The tag was in the unit next door to the unit where my brother in law, my Dad and I had drawn 2nd season buck tags.

My Brother in law and I got there Thursday evening before the season, had a day to scout on Friday, then we would have 5 days to have 5 days to hunt before my son and Dad showed up the following Wednesday. Saw lots of deer the first few days, just nothing I was interested in.

My son and Dad showed up Wednesday night, just a little bit ahead of the big snowstorm. Visibility was poor all day Thursday but we still managed to turn up a few deer. The high country had a big dump of snow Thursday and the bigger bucks started showing up in the sage/aspens.

Saturday morning my son passed a couple of respectable 3x3’s; I told him it was up to him, he wanted to hold out. We went to check an aspen covered hillside about noon and found a couple does and a nice 4 point buck.

The opposite slope from where the deer were was nothing but short sage, so we decided to try and sneak onto the opposite slope through a small fold in the hill. At 750 yards we ran out of cover, and the sage got real short. I set up the spotter one more time and saw there were deer all over the hill in the aspens, including what looked to be a very nice buck.

We dropped our packs and crawled 400 yards through the mud and snow to a boulder that could be used for cover. We took an hour to cover the open hill and we we muddy and tired but when we got to the boulder we would be within 400 yards of any deer on the hill.

After about 2 hours the deer began moving again, Tristan got set up prone and had a nice 4x4 at 400 yards. He was practicing dry firing on him when I spotted the big boy further down the hill. Tristan repositioned as a the buck began coming down the hill, the buck turned broadside at 323 yards and he let it fly. Buck went a few yards and stood there so he put another one in him, the deer went a few more yards and down he went.

There was no ground shrinkage when we got to him, later on the tape would show he was a little over 34” wide. He won’t score that great, but to say Tristan is on cloud 9 would be an understatement.View attachment 249241
View attachment 249238View attachment 249239

View attachment 249240

Both his shots were dead on, he shot quite a bit from prone over the summer getting ready for this hunt, it definitely paid off. Pic of the entrance wounds:

View attachment 249244
Beautiful deer!

Glad this thread popped up. I missed it when first posted. Congratulations on a great buck. I love the wide honest smile to go with this super wide buck. Hope he has many more to come.
Thanks, he is still on cloud 9 about the deer, he was just retelling the story to his great uncle this evening at our whitetail camp. I sure hope he and his generation get to continue to experience the great opportunities of hunting our public lands.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back