338 winchester mag elk bullet

Rooster52

I have a Browning A Bolt Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation commemorative new never been fired looking for a bullet load combination for elk in 338 Winchester Magnum.

210 gr Nosler Partition has always worked for one shot kills for me. I don't reload, so always been factory ammo. My A-Bolt and X-Bolt have both shot this bullet well. I have 400 rounds of Hornady Superformance 200 gr SST ammo that shoots well, but I can't draw a rifle tag to try it on anything but paper.

I shoot a 225 Hornady SST.

I plan on trying the 300 gr HSM Berger VLD this year to see how it kills soda bottles.

I'll second the 210gr Partition. I've used it on everything from doe pronghorn to bull elk and cow bison. Always worked and well.

210 nosler

79 g of 4831 behind a 210 nosler part. In my 340 weatherby has always done well for me

I have a Browning A Bolt Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation commemorative new never been fired looking for a bullet load combination for elk in 338 Winchester Magnum.

I've had good success with Reloader 19 & 225 grain pills. I'll be moving over to the Nosler E-tip in 225 grains from now on though.

Others have had good success w/ 4350 & 4831

Thanks for the replies.Gong to buy some brass and bullets to get started.Think I will start with the Partitions.

Has anyone killed anything with a 200 SST. They shoot well for me, but I'm worried they may be real soft.

A 185 TTSX would be fantastic at WM velocities.

Last edited:
I have a new WInchester Model 70 weather extrema and my friend shoots an A-bolt. We use 225 gr. nosler Accubond with 72 grains of Reloader 19. At a 100 yards my bullet holes will touch each other. I recommend changing the butt pad to a softer one to absorb the recoil. A muzzle break would help with the recoil as well. I shoot from the prone position, as this helps with the recoil and how I personally shoot more accurately at the range. I wouldn't use a lead sled because the the lack of recoil could break the reticle in the scope.

I shoot Federal Fusion .338 Win. Magnum 225 Grain off the shelf ammo. Have had zero issues getting my Win Mod 70 to shoot well with this and for critters to die fast. A few shots beyond 300 yards but most in the 200 yard range. Elk, mule deer and mountain goat.

I shoot 250 grain partitions 72 grains of IMR4831 in mine.

I also shot 100 or so of the 200 grain ballistic tips, they worked too, but didn't penetrate that well.

That's one of the best things about a .338
Just about anything you can shoot out of it will be very effective on elk.
I don’t have time for reloading, so I tried a number of different factory loads.
Mine shoots 210 Barns Vortex in to 1 inch circles at 200 yards.

Factory load guy here - Barnes.
Used to be Noslers, still have several boxes, but heard good things.
225 grain ttsx I beleive.

I have everything to reload for mine, including Barnes 185 TTSX bullets, when I get around to it. Just seems like some other reloading project comes up first.

I like to have a load for all my center fire rifles as ammo can get hard to find at times

My son may be shooting my 338 this year. This Brownng RMEF Commemerative is a sweet rifle.Camo synthetic stock with soft touch.

Can't tell you what to use but stay away from hornady 225 spitzers. I shot rag horn n a cow with mine and while both were one shot kills neither bullet hit the far ribs. Bull hit the stomach which is a hellova stopper but with that big of a bullet going that speed I thought I would get better performance. I'm playing with 250 nosler partitions for next time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back