Caribou Gear

338-06

one of my favorite elk cartridges, particularly with mono bullets, getting close to 3k with 180 Barnes in a 23 inch barrel. My only issue is not having a can that I can use on it. It was my favorite for Nilgai, probably shot 20 plus with one I built on a mauser action. My favorite today is a pre 64 mod 70 with a light Shilen barrel that I have used on elk.

I have a AI'd version. I don't hunt with it much these days, blue/wood isn't very conducive to most hunts here. If I had to do it over I would build a lightweight in SS. It would make for a fantastic AK rifle.

I killed a few elk, a bear and a few deer with mine. it now sadly sits in the safe only to get shot a few times a year. I played with a lot of powders and bullets and settled with H4350 and 200gr accubonds, which shoots better than I can most days. Its a rebarreled pre-64 M70

1710435356387.png

Currently using H4895 with the 185TTSX. Was able to reach a tad over 2,900 fps before I started to see pressure signs. Best accuracy was at 2,850 fps, so I settled there.

Varget should get you there in terms of velocity. I really like the 185TTSX bullets, I have yet to be disappointed with there performance on game. Those 186 Shock Hammers look interesting. Have you considered the 175 Hammer Hunters, should be able to reach over 3k fps with those. Be interesting to see what velocity those bullets top out at in a 338-06.

I’ve got one that I’ve shot two does with. One year the doe I shot was with the 185gr TTSX and then the year after that with the 210gr TTSX. Currently down with a broken stock and haven’t worked up the motivation to fix it, but I’m getting there. Did mine on a Savage/Stevens 200 with an ER Shaw barrel. I’m already planning my next one, on a different action and lighter weight.

Attachments

• IMG_4710.jpeg
    IMG_4710.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
I’ve got one that I’ve shot two does with. One year the doe I shot was with the 185gr TTSX and then the year after that with the 210gr TTSX. Currently down with a broken stock and haven’t worked up the motivation to fix it, but I’m getting there. Did mine on a Savage/Stevens 200 with an ER Shaw barrel. I’m already planning my next one, on a different action and lighter weight.
Pure Precision (formerly Mesa Precision) makes their Altitude carbon fiber stock for the Savage 110 footprint. Would that work with the 200? I have Altitudes on my .338-06 and a 6.5 Creed and really love them.

Pure Precision (formerly Mesa Precision) makes their Altitude carbon fiber stock for the Savage 110 footprint. Would that work with the 200? I have Altitudes on my .338-06 and a 6.5 Creed and really love them.
It should work just fine for that. The Stevens 200 is just a Savage 110 with a crappier (rougher and duller) finish and without the accutrigger, it originally sold with a very cheap plastic stock.

I just don’t think I want to do a Savage action in the future, so I’m probably not going to stick any more money into this rifle. The ER Shaw barrel they used to sell in a kit with a barrel nut wrench and go/no-go gauges is a heavier profile than I should have used too. Overall, I went cheap on too many components for this rifle and regret it.

With limited experience, I love the cartridge but I’m only so-so on the rifle I chose for it.

Back