Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

330 yards with a ML

reallyoldman

I just watched a TV program "Small Town Hunting" with Keith Burgess & Chris Ashly. Keith shot a great whitetail in Iowa at around 330 yards with a CVA ML. He had practiced at over 350 and knew he could do it. My goodness that isa poke ! I never thought of over 125 yards with a ML. Keith said CVA has a new model that is designed for long rang shooting ? Sure good to see him. He used to be on Primos Truth About Hunting. The only reasons I can think for using a ML for that would be extra seasons or tags ? I hunted with a ML in Colorado for years because I was a lousy shot with archery and I enjoy the stock more than the kill. I did take several elk and a dozen deer with one.

Last edited:
I just watched a TV program "Small Town Hunting" with Keith Burgess & Chris Ashly. Keith shot a great whitetail in Iowa at around 330 yards with a CVA ML. He had practiced at over 350 and knew he could do it. My goodness that isa poke ! I never thought of over 125 yards with a ML. Keith said CVA has a new model that is designed for long rang shooting ? Sure good to see him. He used to be on Primos Truth About Hunting.

The problem is that it is not a muzzleloader as you thought of them and as the DNR thought of them when the seasons were made. Sadly, there is not much to it.

You can do this with a traditional muzzleloader, but again, it is not the muzzleloader you generally think of, and it takes some work to figure it all out. Muzzleloaders, even those of the 1870s, were perfectly lethal at 1000 yds. The problem is knowing that the target will still be there when the bullet arrives. After about 300, that gets pretty iffy.

The problem is that it is not a muzzleloader as you thought of them and as the DNR thought of them when the seasons were made. Sadly, there is not much to it.

You can do this with a traditional muzzleloader, but again, it is not the muzzleloader you generally think of, and it takes some work to figure it all out. Muzzleloaders, even those of the 1870s, were perfectly lethal at 1000 yds. The problem is knowing that the target will still be there when the bullet arrives. After about 300, that gets pretty iffy.
Modern rep... but still super cool looking
1639681881280.png

No kidding... thats nuts

I just watched a TV program "Small Town Hunting" with Keith Burgess & Chris Ashly. Keith shot a great whitetail in Iowa at around 330 yards with a CVA ML. He had practiced at over 350 and knew he could do it. My goodness that isa poke ! I never thought of over 125 yards with a ML. Keith said CVA has a new model that is designed for long rang shooting ? Sure good to see him. He used to be on Primos Truth About Hunting. The only reasons I can think for using a ML for that would be extra seasons or tags ? I hunted with a ML in Colorado for years because I was a lousy shot with archery and I enjoy the stock more than the kill. I did take several elk and a dozen deer with one.
It's been 11 years since I called Iowa "home", so I know I'm outdated. At that point in time however, you could not hunt with a magnified scope on a ML. Has that changed? As many pointed out, DNR's intent, at least in the 2000's, was to offer an open-sighted Muzzleloader hunt as an option other than the shotgun seasons for gun hunters (only the southern most counties had limited centerfire rifle hunts at that time). If it has changed, so be it- it would certainly signal DNR's intent is elsewhere, which would beg the question of why not just have a state-wide centerfire rifle option? If there is still a magnified optic ban for Muzzleloaders and the hunter shot 330 yards with open sights.... that's a whole other issue. My dad and I limited ourselves to 100 yards with our Knight. Is it accurate enough for further shots? Of course. But with open sights it simply didn't seem ethical to shoot much beyond that.

1639683046385.png

Answering my own questions- I guess scopes are now legal? It would still appear based on the list of legal centerfire cartridges that DNR's intent is limited range.

330! Bro gunwerks got smokepoles sending lead north of 500..hell maybe more, hard to keep up with the new wiz bangers.. gotta get with the times man! #sendit lol.
An acquaintance of mine is into long range hunting and had a long range ML built and shoots routinely out to 600. He showed me video of a missing a deer at 630 yards. You could see the bullet trail right over the deer's back. I don't get it but to each his own.

That straight-walled and “other” regulation makes LESS than zero sense. I would imagine it started out for big and slow with rainbow trajectory to mimic what is already allowed in shotgun-only areas, but dang…. it pretty much includes any bigger bore rifle no matter how powerful.

That straight-walled and “other” regulation makes LESS than zero sense. I would imagine it started out for big and slow with rainbow trajectory to mimic what is already allowed in shotgun-only areas, but dang…. it pretty much includes any bigger bore rifle no matter how powerful.
It makes perfect sense to me. And it also includes a length limitation

At least WA doing something right with ML they did just start allowing primers which got a lot of people into it. If you keep the ranges going out state game agencies will be forced to just add it to rifle season instead of a special season due to using a primitive weapon. I feel like im taking a poke at 100yds with open sights.

Utah used to have a rule of 1x scope max. I liked that rule. But I found I preferred a Peep sight to the 1x scope at the range and hunting. The cross hair on my 1x Burris was large enough at 100 yards that I would cover the entire 6" circle. With the front bead on the rifle and a tang mounted peep sight, I could use a 6 o'clock hold and get shots touching in the bull with regularity. I opened up quite a lot at 200 yards, but 150 was still really good. Longest shot on game was a slightly quartering away shot at 161 yards. Felt entirely comfortable, prone over a boulder, and the nice muley buck dropped at the shot.

Today, I can use a magnifying scope. At 100 yards, with my 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield II, I can shoot about as accurate as I did with the peep sight. At 150, it is easier to see the target, but groups similarly, maybe slightly smaller. At 200 yards, I am more accurate than with that peep sight. Same gun, same loads. Just one time was using a peep sight, the other I was using a magnifying scope.

I guess my point is, with the right gun, sights and hold, you can shoot accurately way out there with a ML. I can't shoot traditional open sights. My eyes won't focus on the rear sight, front sight, and on the target, but a peep sight is very doable for me. Made a world of difference for me and my marksmanship. I have seen folks shoot a lot like "Quigley Down Under" did with that old rifle of his. I can't, but I know folks do. My son shoots tiny little groups with regularity with his modified military weapon. He has multiple 40/40 scores on his military marksmanship tests in the Army. They are doing that shooting with open sights. He is even better with a scope of some sort. It is pretty impressive actually. The weapon didn't change, just the ability to see the target improved.

So...if my ability to focus the bead on the target with a peep sight is considered fine in the eyes of the traditional shooter, who is to say that using a 1x scope is significantly more efficient? And does the Variable power scope really make the rifle that much more effective? Or is it merely the ability to see further or more accurately?

I like traditional hunts. I think that they have their place as well, but just because I have a in line rifle, high powered scope, and saboted slug, doesn't mean I can shoot at 335 yards effectively. But also, it doesn't mean that someone who is using an open sighted, percussion capped, lead conical can't regularly shoot at those distances either. I just know that I can't.

FH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back