Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

330 yards with a ML

Ok if you feel that way I can take your word on it.. But if someone were to say that "in line rifles, high powered scopes, and saboted slugs" don't increase the average guys efficiency and/or effective range that would seem disingenuous to me.
Most of the primitive season I have participated in (elk, mule deer, antelope) were designed to maximize opertunity while minimizing harvest. If harvest goes up opertunity will eventually go down.
"in line rifle, high powered scope, and saboted slug" make my harvest rate go up I know that

This isn't likely true everywhere like say for white tail in areas where short range weapons are safer due to houses, roads and population.
I guess what I am really saying is that it is still a muzzleloader. It has its limitations, sabots don't make that big of a difference from my experience. And I have shot patched round ball, smaller conicals like Maxi Hunter/Maxi Balls, and larger conicals like the No Excuses bullets. Depending on the rifle, I could shoot all of them pretty well once I figured out the most accurate powder charge etc. I HATE pellets with a passion. I guess my background as a hand loader reminds me that even small changes in powder charge can change my group size significantly.

Peep sights were a HUGE step up for me in the sight picture and ability to shoot accurately in a reasonable range. But, the high powered scope is much easier to aim accurately at distance. And, just because I can see better, doesn't mean the gun can shoot any better. It will require work and effort. At least with the common rifles most folks are using anyway.

If the rules changed and I had to go back to shooting without a scope, I would do it in a heartbeat. No hesitation. But since the rules allow me to use a 3-9 scope on my ML, I will do it because I can see more accurately for my shot. But the scope doesn't all of a sudden turn that rifle into a 330 yard rifle by any means. Knowing the KE of my loads, bullet drops etc., I wouldn't ever shoot that far, even if I felt confident in hitting what I am aiming at. Just too much energy has been shed already.

FH

Precision muzzleloaders are not a new thing. I drew a muzzleloader antelope permit in 1997. Never had held a muzzleloader before then. Ordered one, practiced a couple times, hunted a few days and shot a 81” antelope at over 200 yards. Sold the muzzleloader not long after that..

Ok. So specifically what do I need to do to setup a muzzleloader to shoot 300 yards for next years MT heritage season? I really don’t have any time to figure this out on my own but I want run a ball through something next year at ranges beyond belief.

PS: I have never even held a smoke pole

I zeroed my traditional muzzleloader at 100 yards. Then shot it at 150 and 200 just in case I had something bleeding out there. It dropped 14 inches at 150 and 38 inches at 200. 300 yards is out of the question. With a scope 200 would be no problem,
This is a. 58 cal. With a 530 grain miniball and 90 grains pyrodex. Admittedly a lobber.
Personally, I hope Mt never relaxes the rules to allow any scope.
200 Yard target. 2 shots under an inch. Lucky? That is my guess.

20211210_084122.jpg

T
View attachment 205619

Answering my own questions- I guess scopes are now legal? It would still appear based on the list of legal centerfire cartridges that DNR's intent is limited range.
Their rifle list isn't correct if they only want Straight Walled" cartridges. a 35 Whelen and 358 Winchester are bottle necked rounds.

Ok. So specifically what do I need to do to setup a muzzleloader to shoot 300 yards for next years MT heritage season? I really don’t have any time to figure this out on my own but I want run a ball through something next year at ranges beyond belief.

PS: I have never even held a smoke pole
I don't know if you would have any trouble with most muzzleloaders these days as long as you practice at the range that you want to shoot at.

As for me specifically:

Last year I purchased a CVA Accura MR-X with a Leupold VX-Freedom 3x9x40 muzzleloader scope. It's not a super premium scope but it's not a cheap one either. It was for a muzzle loader, so I didn't have high expectations. I was pleasantly surprised at the clarity and the amount of light the scope brought in. I would buy that scope again. I zeroed the muzzleloader at 100 yards.

Most would say that I am a good shot with just about anything that I pick up, but honestly there was no mystique in shooting this thing. I did play around with a couple of combinations of pellets and projectiles just to see the differences (both sabot and non sabots). I had good success shooting with every combination used; it just took a little learning what each would do. I put about 20 rounds through it at the 100 before I first moved to the 300 yard line.

1641347196640.png

My first 300 yard shot was 1 inch low and 4 inches right. My next three shots were 1/2 inch low 1/4 right of center using the bdc redicle. I think I flinched a bit due to the 20 shots prior to this. I was shooting in low light conditions as it was the end of the day, and all three shots were within 3/4 of an inch group.

Not perfect, but good. It appears that all the combinations that I used would have enough energy to kill something at those distances but I haven't experienced that yet. I'm still not sure if I would take a shot at that distance, but it's nice to know that I could.

Good luck.

Last edited:
T

Their rifle list isn't correct if they only want Straight Walled" cartridges. a 35 Whelen and 358 Winchester are bottle necked rounds.
I do believe it says "firing straight wall or other centerfire ammunition..." Because you are correct in them being bottle necked.

It would seem their real requirement is an expanding bullet greater than .350 and smaller than .500, with more than 500 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. I don't believe their list of cartridges provided is exhaustive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back