Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

.32 cal

32 cal with a patched round ball is about perfect. Be sure to make sure you know where the squirrel will hit the ground because there's about 2-5 seconds you won't be able to see much. Short of custom rifles which can cost thousands I think Traditions and Pedersoli are amongst the few that still make .32 cal rifles. There may be a few 36 caliber rifles out there too.

Small caliber rifles need finer black powder 3F aka FFFg powder. Something in the order of 30-35 grains of powder

I see that Pedersoli has a 209 primer .177 caliber rifle which may be fun for close range squirrels. You know birdfeeder squirrels

Ever check out the Kibler kits? His southern mountain rifle kits are pretty awesome. He's noted for having the best kits in the industry. Everything is cnc'd so it's easy to fit up. They are pricey, but if you are handy and do a good job on the kit, it will be worth well more than you paid for it when you are done.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the SMR in .45 cal. myself. We have a late flintlock season in PA that I've hunted to 20 years, always wanted to tote a long rifle.

Ever check out the Kibler kits? His southern mountain rifle kits are pretty awesome. He's noted for having the best kits in the industry. Everything is cnc'd so it's easy to fit up. They are pricey, but if you are handy and do a good job on the kit, it will be worth well more than you paid for it when you are done.
This^

If you already have a sidelock, sometimes you can find barrels. Green mountain used to make them but not sure any more. The old .32 is getting hard to find.

So I'm getting the itch to get a squirrel muzzy. Probably a .32 cal., but I'm open to suggestions. Any recommendations on what to buy, and more importantly, where to find one?

Thanks,
Ben
Would a .36 suffice? You might run into Booner or a rogue squirrel and need a little more firepower.

Not opposed to a .36 (we have some beefy tree rats around here). $2,700 might be a bit rich for me though.

Traditions does a .32 kit called a Crockett for sub $500
This too^

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. I'm not sure how the kits are nowadays, but I bought a factory built one years ago before the kits came out and it's a very good shooting rifle.

This too^

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. I'm not sure how the kits are nowadays, but I bought a factory built one years ago before the kits came out and it's a very good shooting rifle.
I’m in the process of doing one of their Kentucky flintlock kits now and I was actually impressed with the quality of the parts for the price. Especially the wood. It has a nice figure to it and the lock has nice art on it as well.95B63EA9-04D9-4399-A412-F19298E8F75D.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back