• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Better GIFs | Tenor

Not sure how many animals were in the band as they kinda swirled around us... but I'm guessing 20ish. Not a bull in the group.

Eventually they started to move off and we stood up... whelp I guess we keep going?

About 500 yards later, we glimpsed another couple of cows. I pulled up by binos, and gave a hushed whoop to my buddy, there's a small bull in the back.

We decided to sit tight and see what they would do...

The bull and cows side hilled in front of us and made it to about 350, and seemed like they were about to exit the basin with the rest of the band.

I decide to take the shot... (wind... always forget the wind).

Boom, thwack... "you hit him way back"... Boom "same spot"... he starts running... per @JLS 🤦‍♂️ turned into a bit of a gun fight, pocked full of spent brass later I walked up on the bull, excited we were able to get one but admonishing myself for chitty shooting, and not paying attention to conditions.

View attachment 235500

We butchered the bull and toted him back near our camp, it was getting late so we piled the meat a couple hundred yards away and passed out from a long day.

View attachment 235502

The pack out wasn't especially far but we had a decent uphill section we had to climb. We did one heavy load down to the creek, then did two loads to get us to the car... ~10hours later we were back in the car headed for home.
View attachment 235504
So how many more bulls did you see after pulling the trigger (the first time)?

0, I mean I’m sure there were some spikes that I couldn’t distinguish from cows, but my assumption is the big bulls are still in bachelor groups waaay up there and this was just a small bull hanging with the ladies.
Gotcha, seems like it's usually the opposite in terms of hunting luck.

What made you want to pull the trigger on that bull on that day? Lack of bulls in the area? Sounds like lack of time wasn't an issue, but maybe you really want to devote that to scouting for a ram.

edit: that sorta comes off as passive aggressive... it wasn't meant like that, just wondering. There's only so much someone can glean from a dozen pics and a couple hundred words.

Nice stuff. Looking forward to Part II and III.

Great pics and brief commentary. It's my favorite Playboy article!

Gotcha, seems like it's usually the opposite in terms of hunting luck.

What made you want to pull the trigger on that bull on that day? Lack of bulls in the area? Sounds like lack of time wasn't an issue, but maybe you really want to devote that to scouting for a ram.

edit: that sorta comes off as passive aggressive... it wasn't meant like that, just wondering. There's only so much someone can glean from a dozen pics and a couple hundred words.
Don't feel bad. I kind of had the same question myself. With a lot of time left to hunt, even a solid quality bull would have been hard to take on just the evening of the second day. Especially since it appeared like you were spotting quite a few critters to keep you busy and having fun.

Mine’s 0 stars until my comedy of errors and blunders start. It’ll basically be the Bill Dance blooper reel but for hunting. I’ll most likely be shamed and ridiculed off of HT.
At least you won't be wearing a damn Vols hat, then you would deserve the shaming/ridiculing IMO

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back