Caribou Gear Tarp

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
“proof of sex must be natural attached until…”

high tundra oysters… anyone?

View attachment 235571
We save em all throughout deer season on my family’s n friend’s land. Have a “Spirit of the Wild” dinner after season! Fried, grilled, raw, all kinds of ways. Lots of alcohol flowing so hard to say which is my favorite, but “ceviche” style is pretty damn good

Back in December when I was applying, and looking at draw odds I didn’t think I had a chance at a tag, but then that 1 in 100,000 event happened and I found myself with not just 1 but 3 hard to draw tags. Ecstatic I called my in-laws in Alaska, before I could even tell them my news they were telling me “we’re going sheep and bison hunting.”

“Oh you looked up my results?… wait bison”

“Sheep, did you look at her?…”

Nope, they hadn’t, my SIL and I had drawn the same sheep tag, and she was hunting bison as well.
Wait hold up. Why has no one caught this yet. @wllm pulled out the odds of 1 in 100,000 but I don't see his work. I refuse to let him get away with this. So mister, lets go. What were the actual real odds of you drawing all three?

Furthermore, lets see those odds of not only you drawing all three, but also your SIL drawing the same sheep tag. How about with the bison draw as well.

Are you more likely to get hit by a ship while browsing HT on a dock in Boston harbor?

I may have just swagged it on the odds. And that was before I knew what units he had applied for. I originally assumed it was the TOK sheep tag which has odds of less than 1%.

On the caribou there were 150 tags and 2,650 applicants. On the moose tag there were 10 tags and 144 applicants. The sheep tag was actually the best odds, it was a nonresident only tag and there was 1 tag and 7 applicants. The draw odds don't show how many times each person put in for each tag, you can select each tag up to 6 times so that messes things up a little.

It has been a while since I did the hard math but the caribou was 5.6% odds, the moose was 6.9% odds and the sheep was 14.3% odds. Somehow you multiply them together and fun stuff. I'm guessing it wasn't quite 1 in 100,000 or even 1 in 10,000 but probably around 1 in 100 or so.

Still pretty lucky.

I may have just swagged it on the odds. And that was before I knew what units he had applied for. I originally assumed it was the TOK sheep tag which has odds of less than 1%.

On the caribou there were 150 tags and 2,650 applicants. On the moose tag there were 10 tags and 144 applicants. The sheep tag was actually the best odds, it was a nonresident only tag and there was 1 tag and 7 applicants. The draw odds don't show how many times each person put in for each tag, you can select each tag up to 6 times so that messes things up a little.

It has been a while since I did the hard math but the caribou was 5.6% odds, the moose was 6.9% odds and the sheep was 14.3% odds. Somehow you multiply them together and fun stuff. I'm guessing it wasn't quite 1 in 100,000 or even 1 in 10,000 but probably around 1 in 100 or so.

Still pretty lucky.
Still not fully doing the math...with a week of sitting around and just "working" while in God's playground, @wllm should have plenty of time to crunch the actual numbers.

We headed out of Anchorage early Saturday morning, my buddy drove. He has a thinkin' man's hunting rig.
View attachment 235471

Plan was for 4 days max, another buddy tagged along but had to work Monday and therefore was only going to be able to hunt with us for a limited amount of time.
View attachment 235478
View attachment 235479

Saturday we hiked up the main valley and made camp about 3/4 of the way from the head. On the way up we didn't any caribou, though we saw a few bands of ewes and lambs.

After dropping our gear, we proceeded to the back head of the valley and got our first caribou sighting, a cow and calf.

(Sorry giphy crushes quality)

Shortly thereafter we saw a couple small rams
View attachment 235484

Per the video, the cow and calf circled below us on their flight, we ended up bumping them a couple more times on our way back to camp.

The third time we bumped them we stopped and watched them retreat for a while, in their exodus they picked up another group of 3 animals that seemed like the just teleported into the valley out of nowhere.

It was at this moment that an almost catastrophic event occurred, as I was standing up I heard a click click click sound...

this was followed by a glunk and whoosh..

WTF... oh god...

Luckily it was a short burst and the canister was facing my hip, but I managed to blast myself with some bear spray 🤦‍♂️.

I smelled slightly like cayenne for the rest of the trip lol.
Happened to a buddy last year he hit me point blank, then looked down like “what in the world?” And blasted himself too. Lol hurts like hell I’m glad It was facing your hip. Still probably left your skin red? Or how layered you gotta be up in high country AK right now?

I believe @npaden said those were the odds, honestly didn’t try to actually figure it out 🤷‍♂️
What, like you have better things to do? 😉

Congrats on the caribou. That and sheep are top of my bucket list. This is the kind of trip dreams are made of! It’s a tight timeline, but don’t forget to take it all in.

Just awesome.

Congrats on the caribou and sharing photos thus far. Can't wait for the sheep and moose storyline. Enjoy your time prior to the sheep hunt and we're all looking forward to following along!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back