Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

308 Ammo Help

CiK

All,
I have a Savage 308 on its way to me. I am going to put a Vortex sight on it.

I am trying to narrow down the ammo. I am thinking about getting a box or two of the following ammo to try out......

- Federal Premium Gold 168gr Sierra MatchKing
- Black Hills Gold 168gr Sierra TMK
- Barnes VOR-TX 168gr Tipped Triple-Shock X

Thoughts on these? Should I add any to the mix?

Tony

First off, what are you going to use the gun for?

Second, the gun will tell you what ammo it likes, not hunttalk members.

First off, what are you going to use the gun for?

Second, the gun will tell you what ammo it likes, not hunttalk members.

Primary use will be hunting. Just hoping to lean on knowledgeable and more experienced rifle users to recommend a bullet to start with in the dialing in process. Beats buying the whole shelf, ya know?

I"d probably scratch the Matchkings. Try some Accubonds and Partitions. mtmuley

I"d probably scratch the Matchkings. Try some Accubonds and Partitions. mtmuley

This. I would pass o the Barnes, too, at .308 velocities. Also try the Hornady American White tail ammo.

A lot of people seem to think that it is cool to shoot target bullets at game, but I am definitely not one of them. Stay with bullets made for hunting, if that is what the rifle will be used for. Targets are a different game.

try Hornady American Whitetail ammo.Economical ammo that shoots good in my rifle.Good deer round.

If we knew what and where you were planning to hunt, it would go a long way on ammo ideas. I've got two 308's and the ammo for them runs from a 125 BT to a 180 semi spitzer !

Scrap the SMK's if you're looking for a hunting bullet.

I'd start with Federal Power Shok.

I picked up a new 308 as well and I bought the Nosler accubonds($40 a box for the 165s) and the Federal BTHP ($26 a box for the 168's). Both will kill animals out to 4-600 yards which is about as far as I will ever shoot. Hoping to get to the range to sight it in shortly. If I can hit a small pie plate at 400 yards I'm good. I plan on using the Federals for the sighting in mostly and barrel break in.

You may also want to look into the E-tip Noslers and the copper Federals. I will more than likly try them out to get away from lead bullets. Cabelas did not have ant E-tip in stock :(

Last edited:
Bear with me, guys. This is my first hunting rifle so I am learning.

I would like to use it for future mule deer and/or elk hunts. Mule deer first.

Bear with me, guys. This is my first hunting rifle so I am learning.

I would like to use it for future mule deer and/or elk hunts. Mule deer first.
You are well on your way as the 308 is a great choice. Hopefully the proposed IN Senate bill passes and you can use your 308 this year for deer in IN!

Folks suggestions above are the same that I would give you. Hard to go wrong in a 308 with a 150gr or 165gr bullet. I've read alot of good reports of both accuracy and terminal performance with Federal Fusion ammo.

Partitions, Accubonds, or Barnes. My vote would be for the 150 Grain TTSX. You'll get a flatter trajectory, and can still kill elk with it. As stated above though, you'll have to see what the rifle likes.

I'd add Australian Outback Ammo to your mix. Good stuff and inexpensive. I shoot the 150gr Swift Scirocco out of my .308 and it's very accurate.

I wouldn't hunt with the Federal SMK but for targets they are hard to beat. As for the sighting in and breaking in process I probably wouldn't use anything that cost $40 a box. If it were me I would get something in the Federal blue box price range for break in and sighting in. Then I would try some of the Hunting loads listed above find the one that shoots the best, and dial it in.

Partitions, Accubonds, or Barnes. My vote would be for the 150 Grain TTSX. You'll get a flatter trajectory, and can still kill elk with it. As stated above though, you'll have to see what the rifle likes.

I'll second the Barnes 150 TTSX bullets. They perform real well in .30 cal. From Antelope to Moose.

I'll second the Barnes 150 TTSX bullets. They perform real well in .30 cal. From Antelope to Moose.

I agree, 150 grain Barnes is a good choice. The 165 is too heavy, in my opinion. With the 100% copper bullets you want as much velocity as possible, for reliable expansion.

Nosler Accubonds are also a good, reliable bullet, and with them you'd be fine with either 150 or 165 grain.

Try blue box Federal and/or Remington CorLoct. Your 308 will likely shoot one or both of them well, and despite what some internet pro's say, they will kill any elk on the mountain.

Primary use will be hunting.

Not to pile on regarding the SMK, but the manufacturers themselves can be a good resource when providing a recommendation.

While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/7768/308-dia-168-gr-Tipped-MatchKing-TMK

Find a selection of suitable hunting bullets, accubonds, partitions, e-tips, TSX, TTSX, core-lokt etc. etc then find a variety ammunition and see what works. I'd start with three separate brands, if one works shoot it and be happy. If none work select 1, 2 or 3 more and go from there.

For factory offerings, I've shot Federal Premium when they loaded barnes, and now when they've loaded e-tips (trophy copper) and all have shot very well in three different rifles and two different chamberings. I'd give the 150 or 165 trophy copper a serious look if you are considering a premium bullet. Each have sufficient velocities out to 450 yds.

Back