300 yard groups vs 400+ yard groups

It's the shooter, not the rifle, scope, or load.

After cleaning carefully, I shot a fouler. From a borrowed shooting bench/vise at 500 yards and a cold barrel, 7" horizontially strung group from an unsteady breeze. 5 shots took one hour. :)

I need to practice and get better form.

Thanks for the ideas.

My head isn't in the rifle game right now. I should be dragging my gimpy leg and chasing elk with sharp sticks today. Fortuneately I have a great job that requires my presence.

Last edited:
Tbone, There are other factors involved, I'm sure. Depending on the bullet you're shooting, it is possible that the trajectory is destabilizing at that range. It is also possible that you could be suffering Paralax error shooting a fixed power scope without adjustment. Heat waves can do strange things to targets. Just some more things to think about.

Dan,

Don't underestimate my poor shooting form:)

If the rifle is shooting 7" groups at 500 from a vise, doesn't that prove the rifle/scope/load is sound?

T Bone,

That would be a yes...and thats good shooting IMO.

Glad you figured it out, the only thing more frustrating than a rifle that wont shoot is not knowing how to correct it.

If the rifle will shoot 7" groups at 500 yards from a vice and you can't hit a 24: target with the same rifle at 500 yards, you probably need to get closer.....and practice...although I would not write off the scope's weaknesses entirely. With a vice you only aim once. When you shoot the rifle, you need to aim every time. Either you don't know how to pick a spot on a target and shoot at the same spot each time (which I find difficult to believe) or you need to get glass. Either the kind you wear or the kind you mount on the rifle. That is to say T-bone, you' ve been around here for a while. You've been shooting for a while. I find it hard to believe that it's all you.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying Dan. Something is causing the fail. It's either me or the 6x.

I'll keep practicing. Like I mentioned, it's a wand of death for normal shooting ranges, but I find it very fussy with the longer range stuff. It's so lightweight, if my little toe twitches I'll see it in the scope.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moko
Back