Poverty precision

T Bone

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse the other day looking at scopes and heard the gun counter guy tell another customer that he needed to plan to spend $1200-1500 to get a factory rifle that will shoot MOA.

Hmmmph. Weird.

Here is my recent "poverty precision" rifle project.

It's a Rem 721 in 30-06 that I had for sale, then decided to shoot it and decided to keep it.

I bedded it with JBWeld. Installed a used Timney trigger (thanks Greenhorn). And mounted up a used Leupold M8 6x42 with target turrets in unknown brand bases/rings.

As pictured, I'm into it $535 and an hour of working on it!

It shoots every bullet/powder well, but absolutely stacks 200 grainers.

Stretched it out to 400 yards today. Slight breeze R->L.

Who else has found a gem of a shooter on the cheap?. Post up a picture and details!

Attachments

• 20230217_171830.jpg
    20230217_171830.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 72
Remington 788 223 24" Barrel. Stock looked like a 2x4. Pulled it out of the stock refinished it and reblued the metal. Can't do anything with the trigger. Bought a new magazine as the old one was failing to feed. Put a 4x12 Leupold on it everything shoots under 3/4". Put a rail on it and a 6.5-20 and was able to lob vmax's on prairie dogs last year out to 500 yards.

Ha! After talking a bit the friendly guy are our local Sportman’s told me that all the guys who are serious shooters seem to do their shopping at the end of the rack with the less expensive guns.

My old Axis 30-06 bedded into a Boyd’s stock with a little trigger work and a cheap Nikon scope often outshoots the fancier stuff I see guys shooting at the range.

1950 or 51 JC Higgins 30-06. $200. Took it apart, put a different butt pad on it after shortening the stock. True oiled the wood for a good seal. Painted it with some textured paint, just the stock. Bought modern mounts, put a $100 used Burris 4.5 x 14 ballistic plex on it. 1.5 MOA at two hundred. Minute of deer to 350. Cheap and it works.

Nice job on yours. Well I have a bigger POS. Remington 710. 30-06. Problem is it actually shoots good. Just cycling bolt is at best “ sticky”. But it’s capable of good groups

My kids' TC Venture is scary accurate, with no tweaking. $300 for the rifle and it wears a $150 scope. It's the most accurate rifle we own.
View attachment 265217
I got a T/C Venture in 30/06 for $300 also. It has the 5R rifling. The local gunshop had it on the wall, no box or papers, but it was new. It shoots 1/2 inch groups with my reloads of IMR 4350 and Barnes 168 TTSX. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

Man, that dude is a tool. I try to be up front with folks and tell them what I believe to be the truth.......almost all modern rifles from decent manufacturers will shoot better than 99% of shooters (the only ones I will except are Mossberg Patriots and Savage Impulses-waaaaay too many problems with those) spending more money will get nicer of everything but is not NECESSARY to hunt or have fun.

My first rifle was/is a Remington 710 30-06 package that has a Bushnell 3x9x40 on it. That darn thing would shoot .5-.75 " all day long with 180 Core Lokts or Partitions. Took my first elk, deer and coyotes with single shots from it out to 360m. Until one of the screws on the bases sheared off in the receiver it gave me good service. Horrible bolt, horrible trigger, horrible stock. I will get the screw problem fixed at some point for sentimental purposes.

Attachments

• 156330_1774071157871_1117672_n.jpg
    156330_1774071157871_1117672_n.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 320481_10200165852455336_1713421039_n.jpg
    320481_10200165852455336_1713421039_n.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 19
I love scheels but lord help anyone who doesn’t do their own research and expects the guy at scheels to steer them right.. there’s some good ones working there but I’ve heard some ridiculous stuff from the not so good ones just walking around. Like “mils are for military artillery so not as accurate as MOA”.

My first centerfire was a $300 m700 adl from wal mart with a $150 Nikon 3-9. It shoots as good or better than a couple $2k seekins I had and 1 $4k hells canyon armory custom.

Last edited:
Ha! After talking a bit the friendly guy are our local Sportman’s told me that all the guys who are serious shooters seem to do their shopping at the end of the rack with the less expensive guns.

My old Axis 30-06 bedded into a Boyd’s stock with a little trigger work and a cheap Nikon scope often outshoots the fancier stuff I see guys shooting at the range.
I've got an Axis 308 bedded into a Boyd's that outshoots my skill level by a lot.

I had that same rifle, paid $250 for it. It came with a Richardson microfit stock. But someone had chopped the barrel about 4 inches. I had it recrowned and bedded and it shot really well. I horse traded a bunch of rifles about 10 years ago and it went down the road. I do regret selling it now along with a minty M77 ultralight.

Nice job! In the wake of the last few years of ammo shortages, I decided I'd better get a 308,( because in rifle ammo, 308 & 223 were always on the shelf), so I ended up with an inexpensive Ruger American Predator and mounted a Leupold 3-9x40 vx-2 on it. I was happily surprised by the accuracy, when I went and sighted it in! Anything I brand I tried worked great, and made it difficult to choose and hunting load.

I've got a R
I was in Sportsman's Warehouse the other day looking at scopes and heard the gun counter guy tell another customer that he needed to plan to spend $1200-1500 to get a factory rifle that will shoot MOA.

Hmmmph. Weird.

Here is my recent "poverty precision" rifle project.

It's a Rem 721 in 30-06 that I had for sale, then decided to shoot it and decided to keep it.

I bedded it with JBWeld. Installed a used Timney trigger (thanks Greenhorn). And mounted up a used Leupold M8 6x42 with target turrets in unknown brand bases/rings.

As pictured, I'm into it $535 and an hour of working on it!

It shoots every bullet/powder well, but absolutely stacks 200 grainers.

Stretched it out to 400 yards today. Slight breeze R->L.

Who else has found a gem of a shooter on the cheap?. Post up a picture and details!
em Mod 700 ADL I bought used about 1991. Original wood stock. Paaid $200 forr it. Took it home and cleaned it and even before shooting, checked the bedding and decided it needed it. I think it was JB Weld I used in it, really like the stuff! But for $200 I have a bedded rifle that goes well under An inch! Of course it is a Remington but I have a couple Mossberg's that shoot well under an inch also and that is out of the box!

Back