300 H&H build

I had a 300 H and H on a pre war model 70. It was just a joy to shoot , with lighter bullets, and behold. As I agesd, now 73, I sold it to a young man I thought the world of. He lives in Wyoming and just hunts everythings with it.

I cannot imagine building a custom rifle cambered in 300 H and H on a modern Remington action.

Personally I would buy a vintage Left handed Sako long action in any 30 caiber and have just the chamber rebored.

Discuss all this first with a very competent gunsmith.
I was more looking at older 700 actions, but I’ll get what I can. An old Sako is a good idea, though. I’ll have to see what I can find

I was more looking at older 700 actions, but I’ll get what I can. An old Sako is a good idea, though. I’ll have to see what I can find

'IF' you decide to look at the Sako, look for one from the 1950 era. They made left handed 300 H/H rifles back then on mauser actions. Sako's action came in the mid 1960's from memory. The barrel ( from the 1950 era ) will be stamped "300 magnum". If you find one in good condition, buy it and put that maple stock on it that you like (-: .

I was also wondering what scope you see setting on her and what animal were you hoping to hunt with her ? Being from a different generation I still refer to guns, cars, boats, etc as him or her. ;)

'IF' you decide to look at the Sako, look for one from the 1950 era. They made left handed 300 H/H rifles back then on mauser actions. Sako's action came in the mid 1960's from memory. The barrel ( from the 1950 era ) will be stamped "300 magnum". If you find one in good condition, buy it and put that maple stock on it that you like (-: .

I was also wondering what scope you see setting on her and what animal were you hoping to hunt with her ? Being from a different generation I still refer to guns, cars, boats, etc as him or her. ;)
I’m not sure on an optic quite yet, but my intended purpose for it will be for things that I’m iffy about with my 25-06, like (maybe) elk, moose, oryx, etc

With all due respect, compared to a Sako Action a Remington 700 action looks like it was made from a pile of used beer cans.

I had a model 7 in 260,,,shot it a lot , then the trigger got real heavy. I went to gumsmith,,,my warrantee time was up. The trigger was not made of forged steel,,,instead white cast metal with a hard plating,,,,which worr through

For a variety of reasons I sold the three model 700's and the model 7 and never looked back. I wore out ecractors, had trigger issues,,,,Trust Sako's and Older Winchesters and and rifle made by FN in Belgium.

Go on Guns internation, search for left handed Sako's patienly and you will find one.

"Europe" is right,,,300 H andH were stamped 300 Magnum back then.

On anoter note, 300 H and H brass stretchs rather easy and can have a shorter reloading life span. Forget, just forget, having a single shot 300 H and H.

There were some real old Remingtions in 300 H and H ,,,much better made they were long ago.

I’m not sure on an optic quite yet, but my intended purpose for it will be for things that I’m iffy about with my 25-06, like (maybe) elk, moose, oryx, etc
One of the very cool thing about Sako recievers is that they have dovetails forged into them. That allows the use of Sako rings,,,much better than Leopold after markets. They can be taken on and off, over and over will return to zero perfectly.

I have had theee Sakos, sold the 338, no longer needed and the Sako Vixen,,,,stopped shooting ground squirrels. I kept my Sako Finnlight in .308. I have two scopes for it,,,a 3-9 on mediun sakos rings and a fixed 3 which mounts with ultra low sakos rings.

These ultra low rings with a low scope was the delight of dangerous game hunters in Africa. All part of the design for a rifle chambered in 300 H and H.

I do not regret selling mine to a close young friend but I surely enjoyed using with it for many years.

My favorite serious rifle,,,I had two 35 Whelens, Two 338 Win mags and one 300 win mag. The 300 H and H was best of all.

With all due respect, compared to a Sako Action a Remington 700 action looks like it was made from a pile of used beer cans.

I had a model 7 in 260,,,shot it a lot , then the trigger got real heavy. I went to gumsmith,,,my warrantee time was up. The trigger was not made of forged steel,,,instead white cast metal with a hard plating,,,,which worr through

For a variety of reasons I sold the three model 700's and the model 7 and never looked back. I wore out ecractors, had trigger issues,,,,Trust Sako's and Older Winchesters and and rifle made by FN in Belgium.

Go on Guns internation, search for left handed Sako's patienly and you will find one.

"Europe" is right,,,300 H andH were stamped 300 Magnum back then.

On anoter note, 300 H and H brass stretchs rather easy and can have a shorter reloading life span. Forget, just forget, having a single shot 300 H and H.

There were some real old Remingtions in 300 H and H ,,,much better made they were long ago.
With all due respect, it will be my rifle that I’m building. I do not want to touch a Sako, as those are already works of art. I own a Sako 85 Bavarian (left handed of course) and it’s one of my favorite rifles. They only thing I touched on it was the length of pull - I had it cut down an inch.

I liked the idea of a Weatherby, which I’m going to try and go with. But if not, I grew up around the older 700s and really like how they function and work.

One of the very cool thing about Sako recievers is that they have dovetails forged into them. That allows the use of Sako rings,,,much better than Leopold after markets. They can be taken on and off, over and over will return to zero perfectly.

I use Talley mounts and rings for a bunch of my rifles, including my Sako 85, so I wouldn’t skimp out and go for some cheaper Leupolds. Thank you for taking the time to respond though. I enjoy the food for thoughts!

300 H/H and Oryx :love:

New Mexico or Africa or Both ?

If you do find yourself cycling a round while standing on your head, you will be glad you found a weatherby ;)

Enjoy your rifle and your hunt
Really depends on who's crafting the used beer cans....

Exactly, no Coors beer cans used on that one. Must have used beer cans from Germany ;) Very nice !!!

If you do find yourself cycling a round while standing on your head, you will be glad you found a weatherby ;)
Hopefully both eventually! A Safari is definitely on my bucket list. Hopefully I can convince my wife to let me spend that money! ;)

This trigger/safety acidental discharge problem with Remimgtons has been going on and on.
Well, not to put too fine a point on things, but the trigger is definitely something I’d replace with a Timney. I think the 700 is a solid platform to build off of, especially with what I want

Hopefully both eventually! A Safari is definitely on my bucket list. Hopefully I can convince my wife to let me spend that money! ;)

Best of luck on hunting them in both places. You can also hunt them in Texas, but the ranches where you hunt them are high fence ranches. The ranches are between 2000 and 20000 acres however. The 2000 acre ranch actually has 4 different species of Oryx, including the Gemsbok. The Scimitar's are very pretty, but the horns are smaller. Actually the entire animal is smaller than the Gemsbok.

The police officers and hunters I know in Texas, that have used the Remington in their builds did replace the trigger with a Timney, as you plan to do if you go with Remington. I am surrounded by CRF people, - parents, grandparents, friends - so I hope you find a Weatherby ;), but I have several friends that have used a Remington successfully, albeit, each of them did replace the factory trigger.

April, I shared your post with my grandfather and he smiled and explained to me that the CRF was also effective when the combination of the equator heat and dust created difficult extraction's for push feed platforms. However, I doubt if equator heat/dust or standing on his head are concern's that is foremost on Nhernryyy's mind as he moves forward with his build ;)

That Maple stock will be beautiful on your new rifle.

I believe it was 1985 when Remington chambered their 700 classic in 300 H&H. I have one that was passed down to me by the widow of one of my hunting buddy's. He was the 2nd owner. I have the original stock and it wears a McMillan for everyday use. It shoots very well with Nosler 180 partitions, accubonds & 200 partitions.
I think you will be very pleased with your rifle. Enjoy it!!!

Currently trying to pick up a #1 in a 300 H&H to go with the 275 Rigby and 257 Roberts.

IMG_20171024_131444446.jpg

IMG_20171030_151837719_HDR.jpg

I love my 1S in the H&H. For a while it seemed like the rifle was a bit cursed because I would eat tag soup or end up taking animals with other rifles, but it eventually got on the board. I got it as a college graduation gift and it is a great shooter. I think the thing I like best about it is how well it balances for me (probably because I am 6'3"). My 1A in 7x57 feels a tad small compared to the 1S, though I like the 1A a lot too.

Well, not to put too fine a point on things, but the trigger is definitely something I’d replace with a Timney. I think the 700 is a solid platform to build off of, especially with what I want

I really turn on to vintage rifles in vintage calibers. Many many shooters and hunters value the Remington 700. I do not. I shoot a lot and I will say that all five Remingtons, three were 700's, one was a 721 in .257 Roberts, another a model 7 were very accurate but with time each had problems that developed. Worn out extracter, worn our trigger plating, one fired accidentally when the safety was released. Yes you can replace the trigger, but the fact that doing so is a wise safety choice is over the top for me.

I know the ones used by Law and Military are really worked over for thier use

I was in a dust storm once and the boxed riggder filled with dust and the pull doubled.

Mausers, old Sakos, old Winchester model 70 triggers were self cleaning,,,not boxed in.

I sold every Remington I ever owned after having a gunsmith service/repair/check them all and never looked back.

I really turn on to vintage rifles in vintage calibers. Many many shooters and hunters value the Remington 700. I do not. I shoot a lot and I will say that all five Remingtons, three were 700's, one was a 721 in .257 Roberts, another a model 7 were very accurate but with time each had problems that developed. Worn out extracter, worn our trigger plating, one fired accidentally when the safety was released. Yes you can replace the trigger, but the fact that doing so is a wise safety choice is over the top for me.

I know the ones used by Law and Military are really worked over for thier use

I was in a dust storm once and the boxed riggder filled with dust and the pull doubled.

Mausers, old Sakos, old Winchester model 70 triggers were self cleaning,,,not boxed in.

I sold every Remington I ever owned after having a gunsmith service/repair/check them all and never looked back.
Just the opposite for me. A pre 64 Winchester was the worse rifle I ever had. I could care less about vintage. mtmuley

Just the opposite for me. A pre 64 Winchester was the worse rifle I ever had. I could care less about vintage. mtmuley
Many people still put the 30-06 in a modern package, and it’s older than the H&H. To me, modern day advancements in some platforms are better for older designs, simply because they have so many years of advancement behind them.

I’ll probably never own a Winchester of any kind (unless it’s a 94) because I don’t like the look of them. I find them ugly. I don’t care how they shoot.

I decided on using a Remington 700 action so I’ll be starting on it very soon. The barrel will take a bit, but my uncle will be happy to help so I can avoid a lot of gunsmithing fees

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back