Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

300 H&H build

nhenry

Hello all,
Any input is valuable.

I am embarking on a journey of building a left-handed 300 H&H magnum. I just don’t know where to begin. My first initial thought is to do a custom TC Encore with a MGM barrel, and that’s very tempting. However, I do enjoy bolt actions a lot as well. Will a magnum-length cartridge like the 300 H&H fit in a Remington 700 long action? I’ve read a couple places that it should, probably. If not, is there any route that anyone could recommend? If all fails, I will gladly build a break open.
Thanks for reading and any help

ps, the reason I’m stuck on 300 H&H is because I found 12 boxes of the Nosler trophy grade stuff for 10 bucks a pop and am very intrigued and giddy at the idea of it

Hello all,
Any input is valuable.

I am embarking on a journey of building a left-handed 300 H&H magnum. I just don’t know where to begin. My first initial thought is to do a custom TC Encore with a MGM barrel, and that’s very tempting. However, I do enjoy bolt actions a lot as well. Will a magnum-length cartridge like the 300 H&H fit in a Remington 700 long action? I’ve read a couple places that it should, probably. If not, is there any route that anyone could recommend? If all fails, I will gladly build a break open.
Thanks for reading and any help

ps, the reason I’m stuck on 300 H&H is because I found 12 boxes of the Nosler trophy grade stuff for 10 bucks a pop and am very intrigued and giddy at the idea of it
Kudos for selecting an historic and capable chambering. It is the 30-06 of magnums. Good call!

It will fit in most long actions; I had one in a Model 70.

Necked down 300 H&H Norma cases feed the 7 Supa Mash safe boss. Glad I had some stockpiled...

Since it’s such a classy cartridge, I have to make the rifle just as classy.

I agree and therefore I respectively suggest the action that the old girl ( 300 H/H ) was dressed in when she was introduced. The mauser 98. You can buy a new left handed Mauser 98 action from Granite Mtn in Arizona or FZH in Germany. Best of luck and enjoy

I agree and therefore I respectively suggest the action that the old girl ( 300 H/H ) was dressed in when she was introduced. The mauser 98. You can buy a new left handed Mauser 98 action from Granite Mtn in Arizona or FZH in Germany. Best of luck and enjoy
They’re more expensive than what I was thinking, but it is a great idea and I thank you for that. I think I’ve settled on the 700 action. My uncle does a great job rebarreling them and Boyd’s has a great XX Maple I can put it into. Gunbroker has a bunch of donor rifles for sub-1k too so it shouldn’t be too bad.

Europe, as always, does have good suggestions.
But like you, i've been building some of the classics on newer foundations.
250 Savage in a Stevens 200 action, and most recent is 257 Roberts AI in a Savage 111.

My planned benchrest rifle was originally going to be 7mm-08AI. But since most of my shooting is done 400 yards or less, i've been talked into 250 Savage for that also.
Still waiting on the barrel from Shilen. Then mock up and send to the stock builder.

Kudos for going with the H&H!
Hopefully you, like myself, will learn to love some of the classic cartridges!

If you have already started your project then please simply disregard this post.

I have used the 300 H/H all my adult life. Love it. Which is why this thread draws me to it like a moth to a flame ;)

If your looking for something a bit less expensive but still in line with the original combination ( 300 H/H and Mauser ), you might also see if you can find a pre 2003 Dakota left handed action or even a model 70 made by Browning ( Winchester did not make a left handed version in their original pre 70 actions )

I like the Mauser and pre 64 model 70 actions because they are controlled round feed actions instead of push feed. I am sure several here will be tempted to ask me how many times I have cycled a round while standing on my head and the answer would be zero, but I still prefer them :)

Also, Weatherby is another option you might consider. I did not own it, but knew a fellow that had a left handed rifle made for him by Weatherby and it was very nice, very smooth action.

O.K. this is my final pitch for a CRF action ;)

Enjoy building your rifle and the many hunts you will use it on in the future

p.s. just curious. why maple instead of walnut ? thank you

Lots of walnut stocked rifles out there.
Not as many with maple stocks.
Plus maple would come out a little lighter in color than walnut. Gives a different look, that i actually really enjoy.

That's just my oppinion.
We'll let the OP give their answer.
Sorry for "jumping the gun".

If your spending anything near a grand on a donor gun your crazy. My last 700 build in 2020 cost me $397 for the brand new LA rem 700 rifle. If your considering paying that much go with a custom action.
Remington actions have gone nuts on pricing since they quit making them. That’s why I’ve switched to tikkas for now

For my 257 Roberts AI build, i found a new Savage 111 on clearance that was cheaper than used rifles.
Prices on firearms, as well as ammo & components has gone nuts!

If your spending anything near a grand on a donor gun your crazy. My last 700 build in 2020 cost me $397 for the brand new LA rem 700 rifle. If your considering paying that much go with a custom action.
If I were a right handed shooter, then this whole world for me would be way easier. However, to find anything left-handed is more expensive, and I’d rather go with a cheaper option with a donor rifle, than go full custom and break my bank. I built a semi-custom Rem 700 on a gun I got for 400 bucks last year, but it was right handed and I hated it. I refuse to settle for something that doesn’t fit me perfectly.
Plus, if I get a donor rifle, I don’t have to change anything but the barrel if I found a nice walnut stocked one that I like, which is probably the route I’d go.

Last edited:
Lots of walnut stocked rifles out there.
Not as many with maple stocks.
Plus maple would come out a little lighter in color than walnut. Gives a different look, that i actually really enjoy.

That's just my oppinion.
We'll let the OP give their answer.
Sorry for "jumping the gun".
I enjoy the curly maple stocks a whole bunch. My dream rifle has always been a deep blued 700 in a curly maple stock chambered in 280 Remington. I’ll eventually get to that build, but for now I want to take advantage of a round that for sure can take everything I need it to.

also, I, too, have been admiring the old world cartridges. I was raised believing that the best cartridge, hands down, is the 25-06 Remington. It’s served my family well and still continues to do so. Although there are some great things about new cartridges, I always find myself turning back to the old ones. 30-30 Win, 25-06 Rem, regular 280 Rem, and the venerable 300 H&H Magnum are all cartridges I view fondly. It’s exciting to hear that you’ve chosen a 250 Savage over a 7mm-08. That gets me giddy!

If you have already started your project then please simply disregard this post.

I have used the 300 H/H all my adult life. Love it. Which is why this thread draws me to it like a moth to a flame ;)

If your looking for something a bit less expensive but still in line with the original combination ( 300 H/H and Mauser ), you might also see if you can find a pre 2003 Dakota left handed action or even a model 70 made by Browning ( Winchester did not make a left handed version in their original pre 70 actions )

I like the Mauser and pre 64 model 70 actions because they are controlled round feed actions instead of push feed. I am sure several here will be tempted to ask me how many times I have cycled a round while standing on my head and the answer would be zero, but I still prefer them :)

Also, Weatherby is another option you might consider. I did not own it, but knew a fellow that had a left handed rifle made for him by Weatherby and it was very nice, very smooth action.

O.K. this is my final pitch for a CRF action ;)

Enjoy building your rifle and the many hunts you will use it on in the future

p.s. just curious. why maple instead of walnut ? thank you
I didn’t even think of Weatherby! That’s a great idea; thanks! In an ideal world, I’d be able to use a left handed m77 mkii action, but alas, the magazine is too short

Maple instead of walnut because I love the lighter, more yellow wood. I think it’s a very classy look when paired with blued or blackened metal. Oh that and I already have a beautiful walnut stocked Sako 85 Bavarian that quiets my walnut crave

Last edited:
Currently trying to pick up a #1 in a 300 H&H to go with the 275 Rigby and 257 Roberts. I really like the old classics regardless the efficiency of some modern cartridge. Well done and good luck with your effort.
Morning April, hope you are well.

I didn’t even think of Weatherby! That’s a great idea; thanks! In an ideal world, I’d be able to use a left handed m77 mkii action, but alas, the magazine is too short

Maple instead of walnut because I love the lighter, more yellow wood. I think it’s a very classy look when paired with blued or blackened metal. Oh that and I already have a beautiful walnut stocked Sako 85 Bavarian that quiets my walnut crave

She is a wealth of information. She also helped me obtain a 300 H & H and she knew my husband owned a 300 weatherby. I mentioned him having a delay getting his 300 weatherby cases and she told us to shoot some of my surplus 300 H & H ammo in his 300 Weatherby and he would have cases :).

Back to your build. The Weatherby action will not only work for you, they are good actions and come in left hand versions. You can purchase a used rifle or buy just the action new. Have fun and enjoy, regardless of the direction you choose
Currently trying to pick up a #1 in a 300 H&H to go with the 275 Rigby and 257 Roberts. I really like the old classics regardless the efficiency of some modern cartridge. Well done and good luck with your effort.
Morning April, hope you are well.
apologizes to the op. That would be a great pick up. 300 H & H, 275 Rigby, 257 Roberts, love it ! I went the other way. 275 H & H, 300 H & H, 375 H & H and am glad I did as the 275 has become my go to sheep, goat, caribou and wolf rifle. And again in all fairness, I didn't even know the 275 H & H existed until April educated me ;) As an aside. I am so glad 2021 will be back on track for you. Have a great season

I had a 300 H and H on a pre war model 70. It was just a joy to shoot , with lighter bullets, and behold. As I agesd, now 73, I sold it to a young man I thought the world of. He lives in Wyoming and just hunts everythings with it.

I cannot imagine building a custom rifle cambered in 300 H and H on a modern Remington action.

Personally I would buy a vintage Left handed Sako long action in any 30 caiber and have just the chamber rebored.

Discuss all this first with a very competent gunsmith.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back