30 Days to Go

Calvin

Well, I'm 30 days out from a Kodiak brown bear hunt. I figured I'd share some of my planning with the OYO crowd. I'm a resident, so I am not required to have a guide. It'll be a OYO hunt.

I was drawn for this tag, back in the spring of 2010: DB256http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=brownbearhunting.hunt_details&huntfile_id=10863&regyear=2011

This is a new experience for me, as I've never been to Kodiak, and I've never hunted Brown Bears before. As the crow flies, Kodiak is 800 miles from where I live in Alaska.

I booked with Seahawk air to fly me into my area. http://www.seahawkair.com/ It's a very short plane ride from the town of Kodiak, which is nice as I won't have a huge transporters bill to pay.

I decided to rent the Veikoda Bay cabin. http://www.recreation.gov/camping/K...?siteId=289686&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75541 If the weather goes south which it can do in a hurry on Kodiak, the cabin will be nice. A cabin was also a selling point to get my brother to come with me, to give me a hand.

I am renting an 11' Zodiac Raft, with a 15hp motor, for mobility in the bay, from Kodiak Kamps. They seem to have a good reputation for gear rental in kodiak. I also needed a Sat phone from them. I've done a bunch of beach hunting for bears on Prince of Wales, so it'll be interesting to see if we can find any bears down low, or if we are going to need to be high up in the mountains to find them. I trained for the mountains though, and I'm looking forward to doing some climbing. We'll see how bad the snow is though.

As for gear..

I'll be packing my 338RUM, with Federal factory 225gr Accubonds. My brother will be backing me up with a 30-06, with Federal factory 180gr Noz Partitions.

I'll have a tent and all my overnight backpacking gear, just in case across the bay when the weather kicks up. I've got all my food boxed up, and I'll be shipping it up in the next week, so it'll be waiting for me when I arrive.

And here is a cost breakdown for the hunt. Not too bad considering it's a kodiak brown bear hunt, but still is amazing how costs can add up in your home state.

Round trip plane ticket from Prince of Wales to Ketchikan: $260
Round trip from Ketchikan to Kodiak: $667.89
Round trip float Plane: $800
Cabin Rental:$324
Raft Rental: $595
Sat Phone Rental: $85
Hotels when traveling: $400
Misc costs:$400

Total cost:$3531

Good Luck, that sounds like an AWESOME adventure!! I spent a summer on Kodiak Island, don't forget your raingear!

This kind of stuff makes me consider a change of residency!

Cant wait to fallow this hunt and im in the works of planning mine out right now for 2012. I have flown with Seahawk air before and plan to use them again this fall. Rolan and his staff are amazing! Dont forget your snow kicks everyone i have talked to are very thankful they took them. I have heard in the morning you can run on top of the snow but when in warms up its not much fun. I think you will see alot of bears out and about by then. best of luck!

6 guys were drawn for that hunt. Looks like one of them rented that cabin in April, for the early hunt, and then 1 guy rented the cabin for 5 days, up until I arrive. Looks like I'll have company in that area..

A few black bear sitings. I know for certain tho that alot of them are out of the dens.

Hopefully I'll have a story after this weekend..(grin) I need to brush up on my bear skinning.

Last edited:
Sounds like the best of times, Calvin. Good luck on that one. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!!! I can only imagine ever hunting brown bears, but the country in Kodiak is something special.

Good luck, you should find something over there. Looks like you will be looking at the south facing side of Kupreanof from the cabin so you can probably do most of your glassing from there. Only picture I have of Veikoda was taken from the other side of the bay in December. Might not be a bad idea to poke your head up in this valley either if they have moved away from the beaches.

PortLionsDec08d.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I think from where you took the picture, was where I was originally planning to hunt, if that's the state land on the Kup Pen. I still might, depending on how the other hunters are positioned. Now I'm thinking of hunting that hill in the photo, if I can get up it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back