30 Day Background Check

What are the fines/jail terms for a prohibited person trying to buy a gun? Why not punish the person rather than give another faceless agency more power to do whatever they wish to slow gun sales? The track record on transparency of our alphabet agencies hasn't been stellar.
The track record of the DOJ/FBI prosecuting felons in possession of guns isn't stellar either. How many get convicted? Have the Feds even charged the felon with a gun that was shot in Kenosha, Wisconsin by Kyle? They have video evidence in that case. The kid that was defending himself was charged by the State however. How backasswards is that?

The track record of the DOJ/FBI prosecuting felons in possession of guns isn't stellar either. How many get convicted? Have the Feds even charged the felon with a gun that was shot in Kenosha, Wisconsin by Kyle? They have video evidence in that case. The kid that was defending himself was charged by the State however. How backasswards is that?
That is backasswards because the elitists fear gun ownership more than they fear the criminal aspect of America ! Plus they feel they have more power over the law abiding element than they do over criminals, as it appears !

If we can attempt to keep this a reasonable discussion.

I'm on the fence on this one. I've never been in a position where I had to purchase a firearm quickly. I apply for hunts, months in advance and usually have my gear dialed long before I'm hitting the road.

I can see a gun being lost or destroyed on a hunt and needing to get a quick replacement or perhaps a last minute opportunity.

Generally speaking I'm just not a spur of the moment purchaser of anything, I bug people on the forum about stuff like tents years before I actually buy one.

Aside from the "it's my right" argument, which I understand and am not debating, what other parts of this issue am I missing, what's in my blind spot?
What difference is this law going to make in stopping crime? This law will do nothing! Criminals break laws and why they are defined a criminal. At this point there are enough studies that show more laws don’t lead to less crime. This purely about control at this point.

What difference is this law going to make in stopping crime? This law will do nothing! Criminals break laws and why they are defined a criminal. At this point there are enough studies that show more laws don’t lead to less crime. This purely about control at this point.
Why do we have any laws or control any behavior then?

The point of any prohibitory law is to mitigate unlawful activities not eliminate them.

If you read through the thread, a number of people have shared first hand experiences with the current way these laws work.

What behavior are you trying to control ?? You get me with the let’s do it to Save lives rhetoric , there are so many issues that can save serious life but they are to hard to tackle . Stop and search worked , it was racist because it targeted minorities and it took away civil liberties but it did work . Sting efforts work again considered racist ! We live in a society with liberty it makes law enforcement difficult. We have a constitution it gives a certain rights, I’m tired of people like you not wanting to listen to the constitutional argument because it doesn’t fit your agenda. Constitution is a Bible for how the United States makes its laws. Any deviation from that creates problems. I understand you’re a good person and you’re trying to do a good deed but remember whatever you give gets taken and they want something else. I don’t want to give away my rights I don’t want you giving away my fellow Americans right either. Stop telling us we have laws we already know that there’s been 28,000 laws made for gun control do you want more even though that should prove to you that’s not the problem. I don’t want a 30 day waiting period, it won’t do anything because good citizens aggravation.

Why do we have any laws or control any behavior then?

The point of any prohibitory law is to mitigate unlawful activities not eliminate them.

If you read through the thread, a number of people have shared first hand experiences with the current way these laws work.
The post of Racrawo made no mention that laws were not needed. His post referred only to the question of what good the present litigation would have on stopping further crime !

Of course we need laws, but piling more laws on top of existing laws, that appear to have no affect, as crime continues, does raise the question at what point does mitigation cease ! One would think, if present laws were enforced, others would not be required.

What behavior are you trying to control ?? You get me with the let’s do it to Save lives rhetoric , there are so many issues that can save serious life but they are to hard to tackle . Stop and search worked , it was racist because it targeted minorities and it took away civil liberties but it did work . Sting efforts work again considered racist ! We live in a society with liberty it makes law enforcement difficult. We have a constitution it gives a certain rights, I’m tired of people like you not wanting to listen to the constitutional argument because it doesn’t fit your agenda. Constitution is a Bible for how the United States makes its laws. Any deviation from that creates problems. I understand you’re a good person and you’re trying to do a good deed but remember whatever you give gets taken and they want something else. I don’t want to give away my rights I don’t want you giving away my fellow Americans right either. Stop telling us we have laws we already know that there’s been 28,000 laws made for gun control do you want more even though that should prove to you that’s not the problem. I don’t want a 30 day waiting period, it won’t do anything because good citizens aggravation.
I'm not trying to do anything, other than have a conversation.

Blow your lid on someone else bro, you are talking to a gun owner, who has on numerous occasions commented on the unreasonableness of various firearm laws, and who has at length provided explanations about why various new laws are untenable.

If your so triggered by the topic you cant be reasonable then don't read the thread.

This is not to say you don't make valid points, but the tone is obnoxious.

This whole concept seems weird to me, we have to have a firearms license here in Canada. These firearms licenses are technically checked daily against criminal databases. So technically, firearms license holders have daily background checks done. I can drop by any firearm store or website and leave with as many rifles as I want the same day. The only caveat being restricted firearms such as pistol, those require a transport authorization which can take fromn1 hour or a couple days.

How else am I supposed to be irresponsible with my money?!?!?!

Having a firearms license/card doesn't mean you own firearms or that the gov't knows which and how many you own. It simply prevents people who have firearms prohibitions from buying them legally. It also makes the purchasing process stupid quick which is bad for my wallet but good for sellers.

Of course we need laws, but piling more laws on top of existing laws, that appear to have no affect, as crime continues, does raise the question at what point does mitigation cease ! One would think, if present laws were enforced, others would not be required.
Agreed. I'm not a LEO and haven't had to enforce these laws, I've never worked at a store that sold guns, and I've never waited more than 45 min to buy a firearm.

The comment of mine he was responding to more or less said, 🤷‍♂️ "I'm here to listen, change my mind".

We are being treated as guilty until proven innocent by the background check.
I got carded buying a bottle of wine last night :oops:

...boarding a plane, renting a car, buying lighters, dry ice...

ya ya yayaya I know, "those aren't protected by the constitution"

The US has only to look to Canada for a good example of a better system. Get a background check, take the course, pass the test, and you're issued a federal firearms possession license photo ID (called a PAL for Posession and Aquisition License). No messing with FFL dealers and waiting for background checks. Just produce your PAL, throw down the cash, and gun is yours. I can mail order guns from Cabelas shipped right to my door. Every five years the license has to be renewed with another background check. The only complaint I have is the licenses are cheaply made. Photos and number will wear off easily. But they replace them at no charge and last one was in the mailbox in three days. I cannot be in possession of a gun anywhere (e.g. trap club or hunting) without my PAL. Also, in this province PAL is required to buy ammo which makes sense. PAL satisfies the antis and makes it easier to acquire guns for those who should have them. What's not to like?

Sorry for the duplication of your post Saskhunter. Didn't see it on the second page before posting mine. Yep, the system works fine. Except for Trudeau's recent senseless feel good fiddling with it.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there was a major special interest lobby group that said "absolutely not" to any sort of federal license, and here we are, in a frustratingly different place.

Whoever up there said the "constitution is bible" needs to take a minute to explore constitutional law and how the constitution has been changed (27 times successfully), and how the 2nd AMENDEMENT is also up for change or even ELIMINATION if enough legislators and states get on board.

The US has only to look to Canada for a good example of a better system. Get a background check, take the course, pass the test, and you're issued a federal firearms possession license photo ID (called a PAL for Posession and Aquisition License). No messing with FFL dealers and waiting for background checks. Just produce your PAL, throw down the cash, and gun is yours. I can mail order guns from Cabelas shipped right to my door. Every five years the license has to be renewed with another background check. The only complaint I have is the licenses are cheaply made. Photos and number will wear off easily. But they replace them at no charge and last one was in the mailbox in three days. I cannot be in possession of a gun anywhere (e.g. trap club or hunting) without my PAL. Also, in this province PAL is required to buy ammo which makes sense. PAL satisfies the antis and makes it easier to acquire guns for those who should have them. What's not to like?

Sorry for the duplication of your post Saskhunter. Didn't see it on the second page before posting mine. Yep, the system works fine. Except for Trudeau's recent senseless feel good fiddling with it.

maybe

but I do know a few people who are not all that happy with the new law that was introduced last month or even the move last year to ban so called "assault rifles"

for a little comedy relief in regards to last years announcement. Inuits were exempt from the initial directive and these comments were heard:

" because I am white, I can not keep my AR-15 ?--that is racist"

" For the first time in history the indians will be able to outgun the cowboys"

" They get to keep them and hunt with them, just like their ancestors did--please ! "

Yeah it's insane, from receiving my application to my appointment date to get finger printed/interview with police was 6 months, then 10 weeks to get my license after, talking to folks in MA 10 weeks is on the fast end for turn around time, the officer at my interview said to expect 16 weeks. You have to renew every year for the license I got, seems like I should be able to just walk into a shop show that license and walk out with whatever I want right? lol nope, I can't use it to buy guns or ammo in the state, have to go to NH. 🤦‍♂️

Is what it is...
Unless things have changed dramatically since I last renewed my MA license and bought a firearm (which very well may be the case), I want to believe your situation is an anomaly and not indicative of a typical MA resident's licensing process.

Last time I renewed I paid the $100, brought my form to the police station for them to enter into the system, waited a month or so to get the license and it's good for 6 years. Buying firearms and ammo in MA, I always walked out with them on the same day I bought them, though it's been 5-10 years since I have. It would be a real shame if this process has changed that much.

Unless things have changed dramatically since I last renewed my MA license and bought a firearm (which very well may be the case), I want to believe your situation is an anomaly and not indicative of a typical MA resident's licensing process.

Last time I renewed I paid the $100, brought my form to the police station for them to enter into the system, waited a month or so to get the license and it's good for 6 years. Buying firearms and ammo in MA, I always walked out with them on the same day I bought them, though it's been 5-10 years since I have. It would be a real shame if this process has changed that much.
I have a NR LTC, so it’s through the FRB not the local police. No buy in MA, $100 to renew, and only good for 1 year.

This just made me sick.... If you have to stop think to yourself if your gonna get charged for shooting someone that has broken into your house or is attacking you, Then we have a bigger problem. Id like to see that stats on how often that scenario actually happens before I go throw up.

Back